I never resold a ticket for more than face, and I certainly would never sell a release for profit. I wouldn't sell any release, period. 

And as far as parting with the money, it never figured into it when we were buying tickets for all those shows, along with the food, gas, and lodging. I'm almost stone-cold broke, but I'll live on PB&J sammiches if that's what it takes to get the releases. I can think of far worse ways to spend cash.

All true. Just a personal choice in which my mind wrestles with paying for something I can, basically, get legally for free. I know you're a completist with the releases. Wish I could bend my head and wallet likewise.....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing a year or two ago that the Fillmore West '69 box that I paid $100 (or so) for 10 years ago was going for like 1500 bucks. Shit, I could probably pay off my house or definitely buy a new car with all the GD stuff I got here. I just couldn't do it. LOL

I think when I cash my check I'll have all of this donated to the public library or something. Maybe some kid will get turned on, who knows? 

I figure they are limiting how many of these they make because not that many people buy cds anymore, let alone boxsets. I would think it's mostly older people who have the bucks to spend who end up buying these releases. I am surprised Rhino is still putting out cds. I have to say I am sort of unhappy with them at the moment - due to the fact they are not releasing the Faces cds.

I have 3 pairs of Grateful Dead skis that I bought in 93 or so, still in wrappers.  Still don't think they are worth anything.

I still have a promotional/collector's edition of Without A Net, still wrapped.  I have no idea why I'm still holding onto it or haven't unwrapped it.  I guess I thought it would become some sort of collector's item and worth something, though I doubt it, and wouldn't even know what to do with it anyway.  But it's still sitting in my cabinet.

I don't have any problem with GD/Rhino putting out these box sets.  I don't buy all of them, but I've been very happy with the ones I have purchased, especially the Winterland '73 and '77 box sets.  The only reason I bought the May '77 box is because I was at the St. Louis show and I'm a sucker for getting shows I was at.  Coincidentally, it made me realize that I was fortunate to have seen 2 of the May '77 shows, St. Louis and the Hartford show that was released as Road to Terrapin. 

I had a sealed, grey vinyl copy of the Touch of Grey single for years. I was keeping it sealed so it'd be worth more as a collector's item. That is, until my curious step son at age 8 tore off the plastic wrap! Its still never been played and at least I finally got to see the fold out poster inside!

Recently, I saw the JGB release of the show with Nicky Hopkins for sale for $60. I think I paid $14 for it.

I use to have Hooteroll on clear vinyl. Wonder if that's worth anything these days.

Might be worth something, but the CD sure ain't. I've had mine listed on Amazon for 3 years, and haven't been able to get rid of it. The used ones are listing for under $4.00.

Whoa!

The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol. 2: Let It RockJerry Garcia | Format: Audio CD

Price: $84.99 Deal Price:     o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

Only 1 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by In the Know Music.

11 new from $35.00 9 used from $54.99

Maybe there is something to investing in Dead related products. The return on investment looks to be rather strong.

Well, the prices may be high, but it doesn't mean anyone will buy the items. You can put something on Amazon and have it sit there for years, whatever the price. And of course, higher priced items do tend to sell more slowly.

That said, for some reason, some of these Dead-related obscurities are fetching a larger-than-expected price when sold, even if they have been opened. I guess there are people with plenty of cash who do not get around to buying the original releases direct from the Dead's site.

As for reselling an item, I can't see why anyone would feel bad about doing it, if they can live without it. For a while there, Weir was making every Ratdog show instantly available for sale right after the show. I believe the cost of the live recording was comparable to the cost of the ticket for the show itself. I don't begrudge the guy doing it, but talk about getting paid! :lol

I wish the Jerry estate could get their shit together and release the Jerry stuff digitally.  I'd love to get Legion of Mary, After Midnight, Pure Jerry etc., but don't need a physical copy.  Wonder what the hold up is.

Someone up'd the Dylan/Dead rehearsal on dime, I misplaced mine a long while ago - The Ballad of Ira Hayes is great (sure sloppy, but great none the less)

About 20 seconds into the song: Dylan "Like church, this is like church" ---- Jerry (maybe) "church? .....  organ".  And after a measure or two the organ enters. Perfect.   Great direction by Dylan. :lol

What was interesting about Garcia in the final years was that he actually looked pretty good and his voice improved.  Thing is, when he soloed he just didn't hit all the notes.  You'd just get these high notes here and there.  He also, hunched a lot.  I can't help but wonder what a few years off would've done for the band.  

Incidentally, what the fuck is it about Jerry's guitar playing.  I just want to hear it all the time.  I want it stream in all my rooms of the house   :headbonk

Not to be a contrarian, but I thought he looked like hell the last 2 yrs of the band. He looked well beyond his actual early 50s. He also started using the Teleprompter at the end. The vocals could be really rough, too, but there were exceptions ("Visions" from Philly, for example).

Not to be a contrarian, but I thought he looked like hell the last 2 yrs of the band. He looked well beyond his actual early 50s.

Agree, Jerry looked absolutely terrible in '94 and '95.  There were nights we thought he was just going to die on stage.  (Albany, Spring '95).   He was huge, and spent 99% of the shows hunched over his guitar, no eye contact with the band, not interactive at all.  50/50 he would get the vocals correct even with a teleprompter.  There were a couple of gem shows in there, but the % of great GD shows was way down in those years. The last great run of shows I saw was Boston '91.  Saw all the Boston and Albany shows in 93, '94 and spring '95, there were some good ones, but it was obvious to me that Jerry was in very poor shape and it was effecting the performances.

Not to be a contrarian, but I thought he looked like hell the last 2 yrs of the band. He looked well beyond his actual early 50s. He also started using the Teleprompter at the end. The vocals could be really rough, too, but there were exceptions ("Visions" from Philly, for example).

Hell, you know (as I do) that he looked like death warmed over when we first started seeing the band. At least by '83-'84. Staring at the floor all night, ghostly appearance, etc. It started to get a little better after the bust.

Agree, Jerry looked absolutely terrible in '94 and '95.  There were nights we thought he was just going to die on stage.  (Albany, Spring '95).   He was huge, and spent 99% of the shows hunched over his guitar, no eye contact with the band, not interactive at all.  50/50 he would get the vocals correct even with a teleprompter.  There were a couple of gem shows in there, but the % of great GD shows was way down in those years. The last great run of shows I saw was Boston '91.  Saw all the Boston and Albany shows in 93, '94 and spring '95, there were some good ones, but it was obvious to me that Jerry was in very poor shape and it was effecting the performances.

I stopped going in 93. Too painful to watch and the whole thing seemed forced.

I couldn't stop going, regardless. There were plenty of gems of shows in the 90s, just less frequent. I stopped travelling (for the most part) long distances to see them, but still had to catch them if they were around me.

Like I probably already stated - I only caught them, starting in 89, when the passed through the Chicago area - during the 2nd night of the 94 show, I couldn't wait for the 2nd set to end. I told myself after the show, I would take a break. The last minute I decided to go to the 95 run - glad I did, in hindsight.