The quality of the Rockpalast show is overall very high...but Pete's presence doesn't add much. It looks like he didn't really know what to do, so he played a few tasty fills, some rhythm...not much to write home about. Still a very enjoyable show, just don't expect anything over-the-top just because Pete sits in.

Yep. A few tasty fills is about it. And that's fine. I mean, the whole 'modus operandi' of The Dead and The Who are about as far apart as you can get. I'm really glad that somehow Pete and Jerry had some kind of relationship, because without a doubt they are the two of the most intellectual, philosophical men that have ever been major Rock stars. I could listen to either one all day long.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That show, and especially set 2, is one of my very favorite sets of music ever.

My wife survived the 6/10/73 Dark Star today. I explained to her this Dark Star is like an EF5 Dark Star. "Close your eyes and enjoy it" was out of the question.

Historic performance.  I'm with mountain bed, Sets 2 (and 3) are among my favorite sets of all time.  I have the poster for this show hanging in my office.

GD RFK.jpg

I haven't heard anything. The tension is killing me!  :stunned

Check out Saratoga '84. It's a fun show. I was at that one, dancing the whole time.

XM is playing an audience recording from The Centrum on 1984-10-09, only half way through the 1st set - good stuff thus far.

14 sources at the Archive.org - never seen a show with so many sources, before.

XM is playing an audience recording from The Centrum on 1984-10-09, only half way through the 1st set - good stuff thus far.

14 sources at the Archive.org - never seen a show with so many sources, before.

Went to the Worcester show the night before with a Terrapin second set opener and an "I Just Wanna Make Love To You." Told my folks I was going to look at colleges in MA and NH.  That SPAC '84 was fun, too. It had been raining pretty hard before the show and the rain stopped and the sun came out as Dancin' opened the show.

Just got the below email - Guess Weir is all good - Great, great news.

We invite you to join us for a very special night of music featuring the TRI Allstars; Bob Weir, Dave Schools, Jason Crosby, Jay Lane, Jeff Chimenti, Leslie Mendelson and Jonathan Wilson with special guests Beth Orton and Grateful Dead archivist, David Lemieux (and don't forget Snapper!).

Come be a part of our studio audience and join the festivities! We are broadcasting live from the Grate Room at Phil Lesh's Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael, California. Tickets go on sale at the Terrapin box office Tuesday, June 4 at 4 p.m. Tickets will be available online through Terrapin Crossroads on Wednesday, June 5.

Please note: This is live studio taping. There will be no ins and outs. Doors open at 5 p.m. and the show begins promptly at 6 p.m. Audience members will have the opportunity to ask Bob Weir, Steve Parish and other couch guests questions as part of our variety live show. If you can't join us in person, be sure to tune in to all the fun online at www.tristudios.com. We hope to see you there! 

For more information, please visit: http://www.tristudios.com/events/weir-here-over-there

I'll go out on a limb and say it's a show that most of us already have a very good/excellent recording of.....

I bet I won't have a good recording of whatever it is...I am short on all sorts of years. But you may be right...

I'll go out on a limb and say it's a show that most of us already have a very good/excellent recording of.....

I want an '84 show, dammit! That year DOES exist, Lemieux!

Yeah. Hey, '84 is admittedly a VERY spotty year, but when it's on it's fucking ON. Mid-June through mid-July has some stellar moments, as does October. I still want my Indy show (6/30) to get the treatment. Even if it's just filler, pre-drums is teh shit.

Yeah. Hey, '84 is admittedly a VERY spotty year, but when it's on it's fucking ON. Mid-June through mid-July has some stellar moments, as does October. I still want my Indy show (6/30) to get the treatment. Even if it's just filler, pre-drums is teh shit.

Mountain Bed, would you care to pick and list your 10 fave shows from 1984 for us? I need some suggestions to track down. Does 12-31-84 make the cut? I dig that first set and the Shakedown opener. Greeks from 84 have some good moments, too.

I had a lot of fun at the 10-12-84 show in Augusta ME and it was a great show.  

Mountain Bed, would you care to pick and list your 10 fave shows from 1984 for us? I need some suggestions to track down. Does 12-31-84 make the cut? I dig that first set and the Shakedown opener. Greeks from 84 have some good moments, too.

Sure! Lammy and anyone else please feel free to chime in as well.

Obviously The Greeks - 7/13 and 7/15 in particular.

Spring shows: 4/1 is very strong, 5/8, 6/14 (especially set 2)

Summer: 6/24, 6/30!!! (I was there), 7/6

Fall: As Oil said, 10/12 is insane, 11/2, and set 2 10/20 is dreamy.

Yeah we should throw 12/31 in there as well.

thanks! I'll do some listening based on your recs ( a few of those I'm already familiar with, but not all of them)

Good picks, particularly the 7/13 Greek and the 6/30 Indy.

I'll add:

4/24 New Haven (great Bertha opener, great China->Rider, nice Sugar Mags)

7/3 Starlight

10/14 Hartford

5/8 Silva Hall

Did the Dead ever play a bad show in CT? Hartford, New Haven...every show I saw there was good to great, and a lot of the ones I missed are pretty stellar too!

I agree. Saw a lot of New Haven and Hartford shows. Then there's the epic Dillon Stadium show, too....