• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say start with American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Then check out Live/Dead, need to check out the early psychedelic origins. If you don't dig the Dark Star, Lovelight, and Eleven, then you probably won't dig the Dead. Hard to say where to go from there, so many different eras and different sounds. Europe 72, Reckoning, One from the Vault, Anthem of the Sun are all required listening. Then get into individual shows.

I would say start with American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Then check out Live/Dead, need to check out the early psychedelic origins. If you don't dig the Dark Star, Lovelight, and Eleven, then you probably won't dig the Dead. Hard to say where to go from there, so many different eras and different sounds. Europe 72, Reckoning, One from the Vault, Anthem of the Sun are all required listening. Then get into individual shows.

All good advice.

If you don't dig the Dark Star, Lovelight, and Eleven, then you probably won't dig the Dead. 

I agree with everything but this. I am not a huge Dark Star fan, though I love a good one when I'm in the mood for it. Lovelight is hit or miss for me, but Pigpen's rants could be downright tedious. And I have only heard one or two tolerable versions of The Eleven. I love the Dead, but I am much more a fan of their song-oriented shows (e.g., 1972 set lists) than of their jam-oriented set lists (1969). So even if you don't dig that early psychedelic stuff too much - I go more toward Hendrix and Syd Barrett when I am in a psychedelic frame of mind - you can still love the Dead. There are so many places to go with them, the breadth and depth of their catalogue is so vast, you can like some things and dislike others.

Pretty famous show today in Grateful Dead history, 6/10/73 at RFK Stadium...forty years ago. Wow.

Ahhh, you beat me to it!  :thumbup

One of my first "favorite shows". Maybe still my favorite. I'm pulling it out for tonight when I get home.

I agree with everything but this. I am not a huge Dark Star fan, though I love a good one when I'm in the mood for it. Lovelight is hit or miss for me, but Pigpen's rants could be downright tedious. And I have only heard one or two tolerable versions of The Eleven. I love the Dead, but I am much more a fan of their song-oriented shows (e.g., 1972 set lists) than of their jam-oriented set lists (1969). So even if you don't dig that early psychedelic stuff too much - I go more toward Hendrix and Syd Barrett when I am in a psychedelic frame of mind - you can still love the Dead. There are so many places to go with them, the breadth and depth of their catalogue is so vast, you can like some things and dislike others.

Agree with a lot of what you are saying. Generally don't listen to much pre 1970 Dead, but if they have one definitive album it has to be Live/Dead. Don't often listen to an entire Dark Star or Lovelight, but if you're in the right state of mind, they really are quite mind bending and exhilarating. I don't think there is much that can touch the intensity of a great version of The Eleven though, and this is a great one. The version on Two from the Vault might be better. Certainly got to follow you tastes, but every Deadhead should be familiar with Live/Dead.

Live/Dead checks in at number 7 on Rolling Stones' 40 Greatest Stoner Albums.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-40-greatest-stoner-albums-20130607/grateful-dead-live-dead-19691231

What a weird list that is. Sky Blue Sky at 40? Guess I'm gonna have to get high and listen to that. Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name should be much higher than 37. Features Jerry on pedal steel, some other members of the Dead, Airlpane, CSNY, Joni. The ultimate San Francisco 60's album maybe.

Once again, RS doesn't disappoint. Their lists make me want to kill. I'm not going to rant about this now, I'm listening to 6/10/73 and I feel happy for the moment. 

Once again, RS doesn't disappoint. Their lists make me want to kill. I'm not going to rant about this now, I'm listening to 6/10/73 and I feel happy for the moment. 

I don't take the RS lists too seriously.  I mostly use them as reminders of music that I haven't listened to in a while which prompts me to go listen.  So whether something is listed at 40 or 25 or 10, I try not to get too worked up about.  I thought this list was kind of fun, but I saw it late last night and only made it through the top 10.  Live/Dead at #7 was relevant to the discussion here about the merits of that album as an introduction to the Dead.  And I'm firmly in the camp that The Eleven totally cooks.  One of the best tunes that Phil and Friends/Furthur has brought back.

Little late to the party, but I'm trying to start my journey into the Dead. Where is a good place to start? I good friend of mine is a huge fan, and told me Europe 72 is good, but I would actually prefer to start with a  studio album.

Well, Europe '72 has so many overdubs, it practically IS a studio album! :)  Seriously, I'd go with that album for a first timer.  The songwriting is so strong and the basic tracks were from live shows, so you get the energy of a good Dead show but with way better vocals!  I've consistently encouraged folks trying to get into the Dead to try Europe 72.  It also has some good jamming and spaciness in the prologs and epilogs to Truckin' and Morning Dew.  And if you get Europe 72 Vol. II  you'll get a great Dark Star and Playing In The Band and a bunch of other good stuff that is very high level.  The Dead got a little more polished and definitely more structured song-oriented in 1972 than they were in 1969 with the rawness and psychedelic intensity of Live/Dead.  I like both, but they are quite different and some might prefer one over the other.

Another rec I strongly agree with is the 1980 live acoustic album Reckoning.  It is a FANTASTIC sounding recording, so warm and rich and they were playing so well for those shows, just really great singing and picking, emphasizing the folky side of the Dead.  I love that record so much. Plus the acoustic Bird Song and Cassidy are their typical spacey selves, but done on acoustics, sweet!

Well, Europe '72 has so many overdubs, it practically IS a studio album! :)  Seriously, I'd go with that album for a first timer.  The songwriting is so strong and the basic tracks were from live shows, so you get the energy of a good Dead show but with way better vocals!

The Dead got a little more polished and definitely more structured song-oriented in 1972 than they were in 1969 with the rawness and psychedelic intensity of Live/Dead.  I like both, but they are quite different and some might prefer one over the other.

I am with you 100% on this, Shug. I haven't gotten stoned since about 1988, so I don't often have a desire to listen to the really lysergic Dead! I much prefer the strong songwriting (and relatively shorter versions of songs) from about 1971 on.

Well, Europe '72 has so many overdubs, it practically IS a studio album! :)  Seriously, I'd go with that album for a first timer.  The songwriting is so strong and the basic tracks were from live shows, so you get the energy of a good Dead show but with way better vocals!  I've consistently encouraged folks trying to get into the Dead to try Europe 72.  It also has some good jamming and spaciness in the prologs and epilogs to Truckin' and Morning Dew.  And if you get Europe 72 Vol. II  you'll get a great Dark Star and Playing In The Band and a bunch of other good stuff that is very high level.  The Dead got a little more polished and definitely more structured song-oriented in 1972 than they were in 1969 with the rawness and psychedelic intensity of Live/Dead.  I like both, but they are quite different and some might prefer one over the other.

Another rec I strongly agree with is the 1980 live acoustic album Reckoning.  It is a FANTASTIC sounding recording, so warm and rich and they were playing so well for those shows, just really great singing and picking, emphasizing the folky side of the Dead.  I love that record so much. Plus the acoustic Bird Song and Cassidy are their typical spacey selves, but done on acoustics, sweet!

Agree with everything, and feel compelled to echo what a FANTASTIC sounding record Reckoning is.  I've been listening to my original vinyl over the last few weeks, and the sound is simply stunning.

And I'll add, ever since I bought the MOFI vinyl of Wake of the Flood, side 2 of Wake has become my favorite side of any Dead studio album.  Also stunning in its recording and sound, and the sequence of Here Comes Sunshine, Eyes and Weather Report is as good as anything.

Ahhh, you beat me to it!  :thumbup

One of my first "favorite shows". Maybe still my favorite. I'm pulling it out for tonight when I get home.

Not my favorite one, even if that day was my 20th birthday, go figure...Immensely digging now Chula Vista, CA, 1985 09 15 ('85 is a year I did not pay attention to back in the day, whatever the reason). I'm a sucker for any show with Alabama GA, Deal and Big River though  :thumbup

I've given up on Rolling Stone being a relevant magazine for music a while back. Although their prices a bit high, Uncut does it for me.  Rolling Stone is very much the print equivalent of MTV these days. 

I have an almost inexplicable love for Alabama Getaway. I think it's because it was the opener of my first Dead show.

It's a great song. One of my fav dead songs. Dylan covered it a few times

As far as the commercial albums go, I really love Skull & Roses-Bertha, Big Railroad Blues, Smokestack Lightnin'.  

Smokestack was on Bear's Choice. Maybe you're thinking of Big Boss Man? Both those albums do have a similar stripped down rootsy feel. Like the Dead in bar band mode on Skull and Roses, 5 piece band, one drummer, Pigpen as the only keyboardist, with the exception of some Merl Saunders overdubs on a few tunes.