http://www.newyorker...recordings.html

I haven't had a chance to read the New Yorker article linked earlier, yet - but above is the writer's pick of shows that should be officially released - maybe this thread inspired the follow-up... :D

Now listening to 2/15/73 - worthy of an official release.

Just noticed that 2/15/73 is in the linked article...

Edited by calvino
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.newyorker...recordings.html

I haven't had a chance to read the New Yorker article linked earlier, yet - but above is the writer's pick of shows that should be officially released - maybe this thread inspired the follow-up... :D

Now listening to 2/15/73 - worthy of an official release.

Just noticed that 2/15/73 is in the linked article...

Glad to see he's got Buffalo 5/9/77 on that list. I've always maintained this may be the best of the May '77 shows. My favorite first set. That Help>Slip>Franklins opener is totally *killer*, the Music closer rages, and everything in between is played to perfection. And the second set is not too shabby either. Better show than the more well known previous night Cornell to my ears. If you've never heard this show, give it a listen. You won't be disappointed.

Glad to see he's got Buffalo 5/9/77 on that list. I've always maintained this may be the best of the May '77 shows. My favorite first set. That Help>Slip>Franklins opener is totally *killer*, the Music closer rages, and everything in between is played to perfection. And the second set is not too shabby either. Better show than the more well known previous night Cornell to my ears. If you've never heard this show, give it a listen. You won't be disappointed.

I've always thought if you take set 1 from 5/9 and the set 2 from 5/8 you have one of the best shows ever.

I've always thought if you take set 1 from 5/9 and the set 2 from 5/8 you have one of the best shows ever.

I've thought that too. Another one: First set of 6-27-85 Saratoga and second set of 6-28-85 Hershey Park make one hell of a show! (I cheated a bit and took the encore of 6-27-85 instead of the Day Job encore from Hershey :twitchsmile )

Midnight Hour

Bertha

Little Red Rooster

Stagger Lee

El Paso

Crazy Fingers

Supplication

High Time

Hell in a Bucket

Don't Ease Me In

Music Never Stopped

Tom Thumb's Blues

Estimated Prophet

Terrapin Station

drums

I Need a Miracle

Morning Dew

Throwin' Stones

Not Fade Away

Johnny B. Goode

Baby Blue

also glad to see he got 6-30-85 and its great Shakedown on there. Good show!

The thing I recall about Normal is they tease "Stayin' Alive" (at the time a big hit from Sat Night Fever) and then take it right into "Me & My Uncle". I don't know why this sticks out to me, but it always cracked me up.

Another nice little "Stayin Alive" jam shows up at the Rupp Arena show 4/21/78. I believe they strut through it from Space -> Stella.

I believe David Gans said that the XM GD channnel will be playing UCLA 12/30/78 on 11/26/12 at noon. That show is a great warm up to the New Years show the next night.

I heard on the XM Radio show that Henry Kaiser confirmed that Garcia was playing the Alligator-Nash guitar during the 1973 Keystone shows with Merle.

Figured as much - his tone is great throughout the set.

Not being much of a Dead Head I don't venture in here much, but for those of you who are interested, you really need to get last weeks New Yorker, with a huge article about the Dead's tape vault and all the politics and stuff surrouding it. Some of the details are a bit much for me, but I must admit it is pretty interesting.

Can seem to find a link to the actual article, so you may need to go to your library and get this (gasp.) Let me keep looking.

LouieB

Not being much of a Dead Head I don't venture in here much, but for those of you who are interested, you really need to get last weeks New Yorker, with a huge article about the Dead's tape vault and all the politics and stuff surrouding it. Some of the details are a bit much for me, but I must admit it is pretty interesting.

Can seem to find a link to the actual article, so you may need to go to your library and get this (gasp.) Let me keep looking.

LouieB

Scroll up. Post #51 in this very thread. It is a well-written article.

It's posted up above. A lot of it is old news.

Opps. sorry. I have deleted it.

Old news perhaps, but for those of us not following this stuff carefully, it was pretty interesting.

LouieB

Duely deleted.

LouieB

Opps. sorry. I have deleted it.

Old news perhaps, but for those of us not following this stuff carefully, it was pretty interesting.

LouieB

Duely deleted.

LouieB

It's is at that. I doubt they would let such things happen these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Furthur is doing 4 nights out here in Feb. Three nights in Broomfield at a pretty small arena (they've played here a few strings before), and a night before these at the Ogden Theatre in Denver. This place is next to the Fillmore that holds about 3,000. Ogden holds about 800, I think. Hard ticket to get but will be fun to see them in a small place.

Furthur is doing 4 nights out here in Feb. Three nights in Broomfield at a pretty small arena (they've played here a few strings before), and a night before these at the Ogden Theatre in Denver. This place is next to the Fillmore that holds about 3,000. Ogden holds about 800, I think. Hard ticket to get but will be fun to see them in a small place.

Wow, I had not heard that.  Have seen them at Red Rocks and Broomfield in the last few years but the Ogden would be amazing.  Sancho's is going to be packed.  I suppose the Ogden will be next to impossible but I am certainly going to give it a shot.

Wow, I had not heard that.  Have seen them at Red Rocks and Broomfield in the last few years but the Ogden would be amazing.  Sancho's is going to be packed.  I suppose the Ogden will be next to impossible but I am certainly going to give it a shot.

Yeah, the "pre-sale" was over in seconds on-line on Monday, though my ex was able to get 1. On-sales are tomorrow.....

Yeah, the "pre-sale" was over in seconds on-line on Monday, though my ex was able to get 1. On-sales are tomorrow.....

Got 2. Must've had a good place in line in the virtual waiting room. Sold out in a minute or 2.

I threw out the idea to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law about combining their resources to purchase the 2013 Dave's Pick subscription for me for Christmas this year and they took the bait - nice. I didn't do it last year - like the idea of receiving shows via the mail, without knowing what 3 of the 4 will be. Of course, I only purchased one Dave's Pick this past year, the 74 release.

I think I know what I am going to get from the in-laws in the upcoming years, if Dave keeps this up.

I threw out the idea to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law about combining their resources to purchase the 2013 Dave's Pick subscription for me for Christmas this year and they took the bait - nice. I didn't do it last year - like the idea of receiving shows via the mail, without knowing what 3 of the 4 will be. Of course, I only purchased one Dave's Pick this past year, the 74 release.

I think I know what I am going to get from the in-laws in the upcoming years, if Dave keeps this up.

That is a very nice idea.

On another note I'm listening to Dick's Picks, vol. 11 tonight - 9/27/72 and totally getting into the groove of Morning Dew. This was one of the first songs that got me into the Dead as it was the opening song on the very first boot I received in the mail for a B&P trade some years ago.

Got me to thinking...can anyone recommend me some mighty fine versions of Morning Dew? I could listen to back to back recordings of this song alone, such is the power it has to move me.

Fritz

On another note I'm listening to Dick's Picks, vol. 11 tonight - 9/27/72 and totally getting into the groove of Morning Dew. This was one of the first songs that got me into the Dead as it was the opening song on the very first boot I received in the mail for a B&P trade some years ago.

Got me to thinking...can anyone recommend me some mighty fine versions of Morning Dew? I could listen to back to back recordings of this song alone, such is the power it has to move me.

Fritz

Before I had the patience to sit through a Dark Star or Other One, Morning Dew was my idea of a Grateful Dead jam. I enjoyed the song a lot but haven't listened to it in a while.

Let us know what versions you come across. Speaking for myself, I am partial to the slower ones that build up. The early versions were pretty fast.

Fritz

Here's a few killer Dews off the top of my head:

5/8/77 (of course. it's REALLY powerful)

5/26/72 (europe '72)

5/2/70 (dick's picks #8)

6/18/74 (encore, beautiful)

4/28/71 (ladies & gentlemen)

5/22/77 (dick's #3)

9/11/73

9/18/87 (best of the post-coma Dews?)

10/18/74 (the GD movie)

9/10/74 (dick's #7)

OK, there's MORE than a few LOL. Many are officially released. Happy Hunting!

Yes! That's the version that spurred me to write this post in the first place.

Thanks for the replies. I , too, enjoy the slower building up ones as opposed to the faster 60s ones - though I do have a recording (forgotten the date but it's a Marijuana Defence Benefit - 1967 maybe?) where they open with a sped up Morning Dew which is wonderful. 

Looking forward to hunting out some of Mountain Bed's suggestions. Nothing like a little GD project to get me through these last couple of weeks of work before the holidays...

Thanks again.