Yeah it's a good one (4/24/78). I had cassettes of this show 25 years ago. The thing I always remember about that show is the raging ScarFire, and the Stayin Alive Tease > Me & My Uncle.

STILL no '84 shows though.  :ohwell

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not thrilled about this release, but I'm not bummed either. I have resisted the temptation to listen to the version on archive.org, but I'm just crossing my fingers that the vocals are decent. I have been underwhelmed, to put it kindly, with the majority of the releases since Jerry's death. We all know from the old tapes that the Dead hit many, many wrong notes, and there were lots of shows where the vocals were flat/off-key/out of tune or somewhere else on the continuum from bad to execrable. The last DP, while historic, has some absolutely atrocious vocals on it. I'm talking clear-out-a-room, end-a-party, permanently-alienate-people atrocious. Here's hoping that this next one is not like that...although I completely expect at least Werewolves of London to be an out of tune hilarious mess worth listening to exactly once.

I love the imperfections, actually, and find them endearing. To each his own and all that jazz, but I seldom "notice" the imperfections as actual imperfections, but merely part of the experience. I don't think I've ever thought of any tune/mistake/excerpt/or show as atrocious, save for the Wharf Rat at Giants Stadium in '95 that pushed me to stop going to shows (even though he died soon after).....

I'm not thrilled about this release, but I'm not bummed either. I have resisted the temptation to listen to the version on archive.org, but I'm just crossing my fingers that the vocals are decent. I have been underwhelmed, to put it kindly, with the majority of the releases since Jerry's death. We all know from the old tapes that the Dead hit many, many wrong notes, and there were lots of shows where the vocals were flat/off-key/out of tune or somewhere else on the continuum from bad to execrable. The last DP, while historic, has some absolutely atrocious vocals on it. I'm talking clear-out-a-room, end-a-party, permanently-alienate-people atrocious. Here's hoping that this next one is not like that...although I completely expect at least Werewolves of London to be an out of tune hilarious mess worth listening to exactly once.

Majority seems a bit extreme and a bummer for you, I guess - which releases have you enjoyed? For the most part I find more good stuff in the releases or the good stuff out ways the bum notes.  The last release that did not do much for me was the Dave's Pick 74 show - Dillon, I think.

I don't get every release, though - usually every other one.

I am surprised that I held out so far on this latest 77 box set - can't wait for it to sell out, so I don't have to be tempted anymore.

I love the imperfections, actually, and find them endearing. To each his own and all that jazz, but I seldom "notice" the imperfections as actual imperfections, but merely part of the experience. I don't think I've ever thought of any tune/mistake/excerpt/or show as atrocious, save for the Wharf Rat at Giants Stadium in '95 that pushed me to stop going to shows (even though he died soon after).....

Damn, you are a far more tolerant person than me.

I can barely stand to listen to anything post-coma. But when a show is from the 60s or 70s, I am always wanting to hear the best vocal performances. These folks could all really sing (well, except for maybe the drummers, and Phil when you got him outside of the studio), and I appreciate them so much when they're on. When they're off, it's like fingernails on a blackboard for me...partly because I sing too, maybe, or just because I am a sensitive soul. :lol

Majority seems a bit extreme and a bummer for you, I guess - which releases have you enjoyed? For the most part I find more good stuff in the releases or the good stuff out ways the bum notes.  The last release that did not do much for me was the Dave's Pick 74 show - Dillon, I think.

I don't get every release, though - usually every other one.

My bad, I should have clarified: the releases I have heard. I honestly don't have that many. Some Dick's Picks, Ladies and Gentleman, CW&I, some of these Dave's Picks. And the Beyond Description boxes of all the official releases w/bonus tracks.

The tracks I have enjoyed the most have been, surprisingly, studio outtakes...specifically, those from the Aoxomoxoa sessions and Blues for Allah, I believe.

Edit: One release I like almost uniformly was Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings. Except for the Hey Jude cover. God, that was hideous. I think I actually deleted it from iTunes so I wouldn't have to accidentally hear part of it if it came up on Shuffle.

Most of my early concert going experience was the Dead and Jerry Garcia Band so I assumed most concerts had mistakes, no set list, muffed lyrics, long pauses between songs, and other imperfections.  Then I saw Talking Heads on the Stop Making Sense tour and it was pretty eye opening for me. 

Lammy, you ever read "Storming Heaven"? I'm in process of getting rid of lots of stuff....you want it? Its a good read.

The tracks I have enjoyed the most have been, surprisingly, studio outtakes...specifically, those from the Aoxomoxoa sessions and Blues for Allah, I believe.

Speaking of studio outtakes, one of my favorite GD tracks of all is Whiskey in a Jar from the So Many Roads box.  Just them sitting around in the studio, totally impromptu when Garcia goes into this and the rest of the band joins in.  I've listened to that single track hundreds of times.

Did I read your post to say you don't like Ladies and Gentlemen?  Boy, those April '71 Fillmore East shows are among my favorites.

Did I read your post to say you don't like Ladies and Gentlemen?  Boy, those April '71 Fillmore East shows are among my favorites.

No, not my intention at all. I was just trying to list some of the releases I have gotten that came out after Jerry died. Honestly, sitting here at work, I can't say off the top of my head, "Oh, yeah, love this one, love that one." Except I remembered the Fillmore set being an excellent one.

I have read reports about Ladies and Gentleman, but don't remember my listening experience off-hand. I know that makes me sound like my brain is fried, but it's more that I just listen to so much music, much of it only once or twice...unless I really, really like it. Got over 50,000 songs on my iTunes, and more to be added. It's a real addiction.

Listening to the "30 Days of Dead" downloads that Dead.net posted in 2012, and there's some good stuff on there. Interesting variety. I have always been big on getting full shows, but with so many great Dead shows already available, I wouldn't mind if they did more releases like this.

51Ygxi-bdSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Speaking of Dead books, I just finished this one  - it was okay, I guess. It does seem that Carol Brightman (sister of Candance, Dead's light director) just wanted to write about her past political activities and she used the Dead as a backdrop (the book came out just after Garcia died, though started in 93 - it seems she was getting on the Dead bandwagon). Lots of politics, which I didn't mind, because I enjoy politics, but I never equated the Dead and politics before. With the expectation of Jerry, she was granted interviews with every other member - the stuff with Hunter was my favorite part. She was very not very kind to the Grateful Dead crew.

I don't think I have heard of that one. That makes me think of Bob's sisters' book about communicating with Jerry after his death. I have never read that one.

Lammy, you ever read "Storming Heaven"? I'm in process of getting rid of lots of stuff....you want it? Its a good read.

It IS good. "Acid Dreams" is even better. Read 'em both, LC. Trust me on this.

had anyone read Steve Parrish's book??

do you guys watch Weir here or whatever its called? Parrish is on there all the time

I have it. It's short but sweet. Gotta love Big Steve.

I have that Brightman book as well. Calvino summed it up nicely.

Parrish's book won't win any writing awards but it was entertaining. A lot of machismo/bragging but what else would one expect? Chatted with him briefly at a MoonAlice event a few weeks ago.  Affable guy.