I had a lot of fun at the 10-12-84 show in Augusta ME and it was a great show.  

Thanks, OilCan and mountainbed, 10-12-84 is tasty! Especially digging the high energy 1st set.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we talked the Parrish book a bit ago in this thread - okay book, I guess. Not too enlightening. I need to check out MoonAlice - nice line-up.

Moonalice stream live shows ALL the time. 

Holy crap...

http://db.etree.org/shn/89577

May 11, 1980 - Portland, Maine...

wow...exceptional from the first note through the last note of the encore....

Set 1:
d1t01 - Alabama Getaway ->
d1t02 - The Promised Land
d1t03 - They Love Each Other
d1t04 - Cassidy
d1t05 - Loser
d1t06 - It's All Over Now
d1t07 - Easy To Love You
d1t08 - Big Railroad Blues
d1t09 - Looks Like Rain
d1t10 - Don't Ease Me In
d1t11 - The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:
d2t01 - Scarlet Begonias ->
d2t02 - Fire On The Mountain
d2t03 - Feel Like A Stranger ->
d2t04 - Terrapin Station ->
d2t05 - Playing In The Band ->
d2t06 - Drums ->
d3t01 - Space ->
d3t02 - Black Peter ->
d3t03 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
d3t04 - Around And Around ->
d3t05 - Johnny B. Goode

Encore:
d3t06 - Brokedown Palace

I guess both sites may have jumped the gun a bit - not a lot of info on either page.

I hope 6 months from now they don't release it on Blu-ray - hopefully they do it right away.

I've never actually seen a Blu-ray film. I still have the 50 dollar dvd player I bought ten years ago. I don't think I have any Grateful Dead stuff on DVD - except for some DVD-R stuff.

I'd be interested in picking this up. The Dave's Picks releases, you typically get a 3-disc set for about $30, whereas this is apparently 3 discs plus the DVD for $35? I'll take that deal.

Not sure I'd watch the DVD more than once, what with all the full frontal male nudity. That doesn't do much for me. :lol

Some Blu-rays are great - some not so much - I guess it depends on one's system (God I sound like I'm in the Hoffman Board :lol )

I never gotten around getting the GD Movie on Blu-ray, because I am happy with my DVD version - though I heard the GD Movie Blu-ray sounds and looks great...(I don't want spend extra dough on what I have, though).

If I something on DVD, i don't bother to upgrade.

I usually watch most things on Youtube (old TV films, old TV shows, etc.)

I thought it would be more than 35 bucks. I figured they would come out with some sort of 100 dollar boxset for the film's release.

I'd be interested in picking this up. The Dave's Picks releases, you typically get a 3-disc set for about $30, whereas this is apparently 3 discs plus the DVD for $35? I'll take that deal.

Not sure I'd watch the DVD more than once, what with all the full frontal male nudity. That doesn't do much for me. :lol

I'm only seeing the cd on Amazon (for $33.70), not the cd/dvd combo that cduniverse lists.....

Pretty sure they are one and the same. Amazon tends to segregate by category (CD, DVD, mp3), so that doesn't allow for a combo listing.

Of course, it's only in the pre-order phase, but if you wait a few weeks they will probably show more info. It obviously not going to be a "Limited Edition" deal like the Dead.net offerings of late.

I am surprised there has not been a big announcement from Dead.net.

My thinking is that they will wait until after the theater showing (August 1?), and then start marketing it for home release. Psyched to learn this, exactly what I was hoping for when they announced the theater showing. I've had what circulates of SD for many years, first on VHS, will be very glad to get a professional release. What a field trip, what a performance!

My thinking is that they will wait until after the theater showing (August 1?), and then start marketing it for home release. Psyched to learn this, exactly what I was hoping for when they announced the theater showing. I've had what circulates of SD for many years, first on VHS, will be very glad to get a professional release. What a field trip, what a performance!

I just pray it has the Bird Song as a bonus. That's by far my favorite version and to have it on video would be mindblowing.

That's about what I was thinking. It would be interesting to hear the story of how they finally worked out the rights and details after all these years.

The theatre thats showing SSDD on 8/1 is 2 miles from my house so there is really no excuse why I shouldnt go.

Amazon pulled their listing. This is getting weird.

I just think they pulled the trigger too soon - it happens a bit. I sure Dead.Net wants to be the first and they are waiting for after the showing.

Some more background on the film:

by way of the Boston Globe

The film is being released through Rhino Entertainment, which owns the rights to its music, and for whom Lemieux works. But it was produced, all those years ago, by Sam Field, who’s now in management at the electronics manufacturing company Jetronics.

Laidback and slow-talking, Field spoke by phone from his office in Santa Rosa, Calif., about how the film actually got off the ground.

“My buddy, John Norris, and I had gone to a few Dead concerts, thought they were pretty cool, and that maybe we should find a way to share it with the wider world,” he said. “I wasn’t a filmmaker, but he was, and we knew someone who knew someone who knew someone. So we wrote a letter to Jerry and said we think there’s a film application in here somewhere. He wrote back saying, ‘Well, as long as it’s about the music rather than the scene, then sure. Give it a try.’

“That was in 1971. John and I decided to do some research, so we went on the Dead’s Europe ’72 tour to see what the band was up to, and to start plotting camera angles and check out who could be seen in what shots. Later that summer we found out there was going to be an outdoor concert in one week. We thought, ‘This may be our shot.’ And we took a chance.”

The film was made with four 16mm cameras that were synced to the sound, and remained focused on the stage, along with two additional roaming cameras for crowd shots. Along with getting the performance in a close-up and intimate manner, the film also captures what it was like to be there on that day.

So between a rollicking brief version of “Promised Land” with Bob Weir on lead vocal, a lengthy “China Cat Sunflower” with Garcia taking the lead vocal and trading fluid guitar lines with Weir, and a terrific “Jack Straw” with Garcia and Weir trading leads vocals and bassist Phil Lesh joining in for some three-part harmonies, there’s also plenty of casual nudity and substance abuse in the crowd scenes.

When filming was done, Field’s initial idea was to try for a 30-minute slot on PBS.

“Maybe just ‘Dark Star,’ or maybe a little bit here and there. We had no idea,” he said. “But when we started going through the footage we realized that we had more than that. So we capped it at 90 minutes because that was the length of movies in those days, and we started to think about getting it in theaters.”

Field and his partners were three-quarters of the way through the rough cut when they showed it to the band.

“For some reason, that didn’t go very well,” he remembered. “Possibly it was that problem with the instruments being out of tune because of the extreme heat. You can even see them tuning during the middle of some songs. Soon after, they started to make their own documentary, which would become ‘The Grateful Dead Movie,’ and it didn’t make sense to have them both out at the same time. So we got relegated to the bottom shelf.

“But with modern mixing, editing, and engineering tools, we can put them back in tune. We’ve gone back and mixed from the 16-track [recording], and brought up the piano, and now you can hear everybody when they’re playing. It’s been mixed and mastered and polished up, so it actually sounds up to standards.”

Yet even though the film became one of the most requested and sought-after, almost grail-like projects in the minds of Dead Heads, Rhino owned the audio, and Field owned the film, and there was no bridging the gap between them.

“I started working with the Dead in 1999,” said Lemieux, “and I remember in 2001 we had a big meeting between myself and Jeffrey Norman, who mixed the audio for the film, and Sam, and Phil DeGuerre, who was one of the filmmakers, and a couple of the executives from Grateful Dead Productions. We talked about making this happen, and it just never did. But I introduced Sam directly to Rhino, and it was worked out.”

Field remembers it a little differently.

“I’d been talking to David [Lemieux], who’s in charge of these types of releases,” said Field. “It had been so requested by fans, I think he got tired of saying ‘Well, some day.’ So last year we finally got together over it. I guess it was just the right time.”

But there’s still the question of why this particular show achieved such mythic status over the decades. Lemieux credits that lengthy performance of “Dark Star.”

“It’s brilliant,” he said. “I think that they’re locked in. What you’re hearing is five band members listening intently to each other so that when any one of them goes in a direction, one or two of the other guys will pick up on it, and then the other two will go in another direction. Or all five will go in the same direction and create something special.”