• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder with modern mixing if some of the Donna wails could be digitally removed...

I like Donna's wails.....she really lets her balls hang out when bellowing....

If it really was a monitor problem, how come they never figured out a way for her to hear herself better?  Surely they would listen to the recordings every now and then and realize how off key she often was.

I never had problem with Donna - sure she was off from time to time, but it was never a major distraction (if I am listening to a show with the wife, she makes me fast forward through her bit during Playin lot's of time or I have I listen to even more wailing).

She sounded good (she does have a great voice, and all) on a lot of the harmonizing parts she was involved in. The "Playing" and "Scarlet" crap though doesn't do it for me. Cringe-worthy and detracts from the tune(s) imo. Still, my favorite era of Donna was late of '78 when she finally had to leave the tour due to being pregnant.....

Currently listening to Little Red Rooster, 4-11-1982. Is that Jerry playing slide guitar or someone else?

Garcia and Weir both played slide on the tune, Jerry usually first jam, then Weir after the keyboard jam.....That's a solid show all throughout, too.

Right...late 73...check out the 12.12.1973 PITB - no donna screams....  I guess weir could have stepped up and provided the "wo-oh-woa-oh-ya-yahhhhhhhh...."

:lol

The other day I was listening to a Bob & the Valentines show from 1994, and when it came to that part of PlTB, my mind automatically anticipated hearing that...even though Donna was nowhere in sight! Glad Bob didn't do it.

Seriously, I loved her harmonies when she was able to hear herself, but she also decimated many a song with that caterwauling, especially PlTB.

Garcia and Weir both played slide on the tune, Jerry usually first jam, then Weir after the keyboard jam.....That's a solid show all throughout, too.

Wow, impressive slide work from both, I had no idea they could play slide like that. Listening to the show on gdradio now, sounds great.

I dont recall ever seeing Jerry play slide. Now Bobby, I found his slide playing unforgetable but not in a good way. To each their own....

Sounds like Bob was having a good time singing Truckin on this one, once he remembered the lyrics.

late 73, right??

Below is a nice write up on the last tour with Keith and Donna by Blair Jackson

http://www.dead.net/features/blair-jackson/blairs-golden-road-blog-keith-and-donnas-last-days-dead

I agree with his take on Donna. I always enjoyed seeing her up on stage, I'm one of the apparently few who liked her singing, especially her wailing in Playin!

I agree with his take on Donna. I always enjoyed seeing her up on stage, I'm one of the apparently few who liked her singing, especially her wailing in Playin!

I'm with ya, WRP!  :thumbup   I liked the "Playin' Wail". 

Goddammit,  one of these times I gonna remember a TRI stream - Warren played the Wolf tonight, i guess. Ole Gary Lambert was on bass, too.

Tonight, I happen to watch a DVD of the 10/20/89 show at the Spectrum - Jerry was playing the Wolf.

Good to be back ----

Saw Sunshine Daydream last week at the theater, very good stuff, plus I ran into an old friend who I haven't saw in over 20 years; he reminded me that I took him to his first Dead show. The sound and footage was great.  That being all said, probably will pass on the release, little too expensive.

Plus, I did get the latest Dave's pick, but I haven't had a chance to listen it.

I see Bobby joined the boys again last night for another Ripple followed by Dark Star>California Stars>Dark Star, then St. Stephen! Damn.

Yeah I saw that - St. Stephen would be cool to hear --- it's no These Boots are Made for Walking, though. :lol