• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had sort of the opposite reaction to calvino: I thought, Damn, $12.50 to watch a Dead bootleg? Nah, I'll just buy the CD/DVD combo so I can see it as many times as I want (once) and listen to it as many times as I want (more than once).

Already pre-ordered.

I am not sure how many times I would watch the film again - the actual concert footage was great - the filler, if you will, not so much. If they release an audio only, I will get that. Who knows, if they come out with Blue-ray only release, I might get that, too, but I don't need the whole set.

I wonder if the essay by Johnny Dwork is going to be the same one in the Taper Book, I assuming Johnny Dwork and John Dwork are the same.

Regarding the 12.50, I thought that price was fine --- I treated it as a bit of an event - plus it was playing in theater that I knew had great sound and screen. And I guess it was nice to be around a bunch of deadheads for a night.

That's cool. I'm single and the theatre is about 20 miles away, so for me it would have been a long haul after a work day. I'll watch it at home once or twice on the DVD and eat what I want while it's on, take multiple pee breaks, etc. :lol

What do people think of Dave's Picks 7? I'm almost done with Disc 1, and I am underwhelmed at best. The phrase that keeps coming to mind is "barely competent." I think they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now, and I am not planning to renew the subscription.

See - I'm the opposite, married with a 1 1/2  and 3 1/2 year old at home (happily, though) - at times I welcome anything that gets me out of the house for a bit. :lol

I still haven't had a chance to listen to the latest pick - but listened to the boot/show plenty of times and always enjoyed it.

I don't know why I keep expecting something better and being disappointed. I guess the overwhelming majority of the best live songs were released a long time ago, and they were not complete shows. I'm talking the original official releases of live material, like Skull & Roses, Europe '72, Dead Set, and Reckoning. I love those releases, almost from start to finish, and I keep looking for another nugget or two that is in the same transcendent company...and not finding it. Hell, even Steal Your Face is better than any of these current releases. Starting to realize that the band really knew what they were doing. They put out pretty much the best stuff they had.

Sad to say, but I have often thought that the drummers were the weak link in the band, and this release confirms it over and over again throughout the first 7-8 songs. They just don't keep the beat or the energy going consistently throughout the songs. It's so frustrating. They go crazy during an instrumental break, then practically stop playing when a verse comes back. It makes me realize how amazing Glenn Kotche is. I mean, I love the Dead, but I am listening to this release in hopes that one single song on it will be as good as any Wilco song I heard in June at the shows, and so far, it's an epic fail. Even the 65-year-old version of Bob Weir with Wilco is better than anything on this.

Not trying to bum out my fellow Deadheads, and it probably just sounds like I'm bitching about a first world problem (aw, you don't like the release you just paid 30 bucks for? then don't buy anymore of them). That last Dave's Picks had sooo many out-of-tune or off-key vocals, it was excruciating. Not acceptable from any professional band. So I paid 30 bucks for what, a great Black Peter and maybe an above average Mason's Children? Seriously, I can't afford this again. This new one supposedly has an all-time great version of Music Never Stopped, which I haven't gotten to yet. So is that what my 30 bucks is really buying? Damn, I must be rich to pay 30 bucks for that. :lol

I love this band's greatest material so much, it hurts my heart to hear so much average to subpar material. I think the only solution for someone like me is to listen to the show on archive.org, decide whether or not to buy the official release, and buy it or not, one at a time. The only good reason to have a subscription is to try to make some money back by reselling these things on Amazon after burning them.

Mr. Heartbreak,

Interesting perspective.  I think what makes the 'official' live releases so good is that they are heavily edited and to some extent remixed and some parts re-recorded.  I wish they still did releases like this.  at least for the tours that were not too hot.  i'd love to see a set from spring 93, for example.  

they did have some great studio albums, but live was their thing.  everything you say you don't like about the band is what the heads absolutely can't get enough of.  their whole, loose, mellow demeanor on stage is what i just fell in love with.  it just worked.  it has not worked since jerry's death though.  he was the musical and spiritual leader of those players and to try and do the 'dead thing' with out him is pretty much a very slow train wreck.  

everything you say you don't like about the band is what the heads absolutely can't get enough of.  

Maybe I should have mentioned that I am a Deadhead? :lol

I never really thought much about how little or how much a release was edited, remixed, etc., you know? I have just either liked what I heard, or I have been less than thrilled. Or I'm wanting to hear better, and hearing worse. When these guys were on, they were amazing: the level of improvisation was like that of a great jazz group. And I really like many of them as lead vocalists (well, Phil, not so much). When they were off - or even just putting out an average-sounding performance - they could range from just okay to absolutely terrible, i.e., below basic professional standards.

I finally got a chance to listen to this '78 version of Music Never Stopped at lunch, and I've gotta say, it's good, but "definitive?" Is Blair Jackson part of the hearing-impaired community? A version of a song where the lead singer blows the lyrics even once can hardly be called "definitive."

I know some people unabashedly love everything the Dead ever did, and will nod happily while listening to a room-clearing Samba in the Rain. I've never been one of those people. I have always felt like, if I love a band, I can still honestly critique them. And when they are on, I will be the first to give them a huge thumbs-up.

I can live with a tape or disc of a show that has some problems if it features one great performance after another. One of my all-time favorites that I have mentioned here before is 7/18/72 at Roosevelt Stadium. There are some real issues with this show, one being a pervasive buzzing through the monitors and some keyboard problems that Bobby references as "the piano's hard at work breaking down, and we're going to try and nip it in the bud." But there are also spectacular versions of Bird Song, Black-Throated Wind, Sugaree, My and My Uncle and Stella Blue which are, in my mind at least, definitive. Check it out if you have some time.

Just for comparisons sake.......today, I paid 30 bucks to get my drivers license renewed.

Good point. It's always unpleasant having to pay that much for a necessity; it's even worse paying that much for something you don't think is worth nearly that much.

I think I've learned my lesson with the "subscription" model: from now on, I will only buy individual releases, after doing some due diligence. I like surprises, but only if they're good ones!

On the other hand, really looking forward to the Sunshine Daydream package. That is a bit on the high side, too, but I am already sure I will enjoy it more.

I much rather would've spent that $30 on GD related material. The fee really took me by surprise. I cant recall ever paying for a renewal. Five bucks seems fair but thats what I get for living in a broke-ass state.

Okay, I have to amend my review of Dave's Picks 7. The Scarlet > Fire is worth the price of admission. I had read about it, but hearing it is another matter entirely. The aggressive playing on those 2 songs by the whole band is incredible (wow, the drummers came out for the second set and remembered they have these things on their kit called cymbals!), and towards the end of the vocal section, when Jerry sings "Let it burn, let it burn, let it burn," you feel like you really are hearing something special. It's like a whole different band from the one in the first set.

So Disc 1 isn't worth anywhere near 10 bucks, but the Scarlet > Fire alone is worth 30. Damn, I love when the Dead pleasantly surprise me again.  :music

Maybe I should have mentioned that I am a Deadhead? :lol

I never really thought much about how little or how much a release was edited, remixed, etc., you know? I have just either liked what I heard, or I have been less than thrilled. Or I'm wanting to hear better, and hearing worse. When these guys were on, they were amazing: the level of improvisation was like that of a great jazz group. And I really like many of them as lead vocalists (well, Phil, not so much). When they were off - or even just putting out an average-sounding performance - they could range from just okay to absolutely terrible, i.e., below basic professional standards.

I finally got a chance to listen to this '78 version of Music Never Stopped at lunch, and I've gotta say, it's good, but "definitive?" Is Blair Jackson part of the hearing-impaired community? A version of a song where the lead singer blows the lyrics even once can hardly be called "definitive."

I know some people unabashedly love everything the Dead ever did, and will nod happily while listening to a room-clearing Samba in the Rain. I've never been one of those people. I have always felt like, if I love a band, I can still honestly critique them. And when they are on, I will be the first to give them a huge thumbs-up.

I can live with a tape or disc of a show that has some problems if it features one great performance after another. One of my all-time favorites that I have mentioned here before is 7/18/72 at Roosevelt Stadium. There are some real issues with this show, one being a pervasive buzzing through the monitors and some keyboard problems that Bobby references as "the piano's hard at work breaking down, and we're going to try and nip it in the bud." But there are also spectacular versions of Bird Song, Black-Throated Wind, Sugaree, My and My Uncle and Stella Blue which are, in my mind at least, definitive. Check it out if you have some time.

Sorry if I came off as an ass.  I totally get what you're saying.  I'm very picky about live shows.  I have to get a feeling from it to actually love it, if that makes any sense.  For example, I love the Roosevelt show you mentioned...issues and all.  I love Without a Net, but I found that spring 90 box set to be so boring.  It just seems to come down to personal feelings.  I also sometimes question expert opinions (Blair) on 'best shows' and 'definitive versions'.  Even breaching the subject of definitive versions when it comes do The Dead is ridiculous.

Now, you can say whatever you want about Samba, but don't mess with Way to Go Home!      :stunned

I don't know if I will get it or not.

I went ahead and pre-ordered even though you were very kind to me many years ago. 

I've been plowing through the Dave's series the last few days (as part of the typical "All Jerry All The Time" ethos I usually adhere to from 8/1-/8/9. I thought I'd REALLY listen since I had a few days off to do so. A few thoughts:

#1 (5/25/77) - solid (of course!) but not as inspired as the first half of the month. 

#2 (7/31/74) - LONG show, but WOW not on par with the month of June, or even the first week of August. They sound tired, and miscues abound.

#3 (10/22/71) - possibly my favorite of the bunch. Everyone sounds totally re-energized by Keith's presence. And when you get stuff like Dark Star > Sittin' On Top Of The World you just HAVE to love it!

#4 (9/24/76) - the first thing that jumped out at me on disc 1 is "HEY, the sound quality here isn't near as good as #3". It took awhile for everyone to get locked in but by the Playin > Supplication > Playin it got much better. VERY weird transition from Slipknot into Franklin's btw. Much grinding of gears. Oh well. 

#5 (11/17/73) - well I've loved this show forever, so I'm biased. Not really essential on much of the show, but that Playin triple decker sammich is worth the price of admission.

#6 (2/2/70 & 12/20/69) - pretty damn ragged stuff, but sometimes we like 'em even with the zits and all.

Haven't got to #7 yet.

Sorry if I came off as an ass...

Now, you can say whatever you want about Samba, but don't mess with Way to Go Home!      :stunned

No problem, we're cool. I didn't take it that way at all.

What the heck is Way to Go Home? Is that a Vince tune? I have the So Many Roads box, but don't even recall hearing this. :lol

#3 (10/22/71) - possibly my favorite of the bunch. Everyone sounds totally re-energized by Keith's presence. And when you get stuff like Dark Star > Sittin' On Top Of The World you just HAVE to love it!

I'll have to see if I've got this. I don't think I ever found a copy. I didn't get the subscription until #5. Love 71-era Pig!

No problem, we're cool. I didn't take it that way at all.

What the heck is Way to Go Home? Is that a Vince tune? I have the So Many Roads box, but don't even recall hearing this. :lol

Yeah, Way to Go Home is on that box set.  It was his first bust out with the band.  Way over played, but better than Samba, in my opinion.  I really wished they'd finished the studio album before jerry died.  would be fun to have studio versions of all those 'new songs'.  especially the phil tunes.

If the Shoe Fits was another lost Phil classic from that era. 

I like Way to Go Home. Just wish they kept it in the 1st set. Jerry would rip on it, and a nice vocal breakdown at the end.

Eternity was actually a really cool tune live, but should've stayed a mid-first set tune. Saw it as a first set closer, and in the Estimated slot in the second set once. Ouch. Willie Dixon wrote the lyrics after Bobby showed him the music. Pretty cool story about them writing it together out there somewhere.

Days Between was the best of all the late era tunes, and could've been among the best all time if it had a few more years. Song was deep and nasty.

You probably don't all the bells and whistles that is offered from Dead.net - though I guess I can be wrong.

The documentary shown before the movie at the theater was pretty cool - though I don't need to see it again.

EXCLUSIVE TO DEAD.NET VERSION:
• Bonus documentary “Grateful Days” featuring brand new interviews with Mountain Girl, Sam Cutler, Wavy Gravy, Ken Babbs, and more
• 40-page book featuring original essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether, Ken Babbs, Sam Field, Johnny Dwork, and David Lemieux
• Original tie-dye slipcase by Courtenay Pollock
• Illustrations by Steve Vance