• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Shoe Fits was another lost Phil classic from that era. 

I like Way to Go Home. Just wish they kept it in the 1st set. Jerry would rip on it, and a nice vocal breakdown at the end.

Eternity was actually a really cool tune live, but should've stayed a mid-first set tune. Saw it as a first set closer, and in the Estimated slot in the second set once. Ouch. Willie Dixon wrote the lyrics after Bobby showed him the music. Pretty cool story about them writing it together out there somewhere.

Days Between was the best of all the late era tunes, and could've been among the best all time if it had a few more years. Song was deep and nasty.

I thought most of those late era tunes were terrible, horrible actually, with the notable exception of Days Between. I agree, wish they had more time to really get that going, but even still I saw some memorable performances, Albany '95 comes to mind. That song was a good one.

I did not realize Eternity had been performed by the Dead. I've only heard the version Bobby played live right after Jerry died. I always liked it, but of course it worked well and had a whole extra layer of meaning in that context.

Not really into anything post-85 for the most part, but my brother sent me a link to this and it's pretty good:

http://youtu.be/zQHE1wtqu4w

Didn't like Eternity and wasn't (I'll get reamed for this) a big fan of Days Between, either. A puttering, muttering going-nowhere anecdote, imo.

I've heard crazier opinions on the Dead. Seeing Eternity while in an altered state certainly helped me appreciate it. 

As for Days Between: Lazy River, Liberty, and So Many Roads, while great, are Garcia songwriting 101. Pretty generic stuff from him. Days Between was much more interesting musically, with the haunting and distorted guitar. Plus, great imagery from Hunter on that tune. Phantom ships with phantom sails set to sea on phantom tides...It's got that bittersweet feel that Garcia was the master of. Total end of life tune. I could, and have, gone on about this tune. 

I hear ya, JW. Days does have cool imagery and it is a haunting tune, it just didn't do much for me. It depressed me, in a way. So Many Roads, in particular, just had an oomph to it that I appreciate more so. It's got an "end of life" feel to it, as well, and he usually displayed a lot of emotion in it, particularly on the back end of the tune. Liberty is just a fun tun, too.

I've heard crazier opinions on the Dead. Seeing Eternity while in an altered state certainly helped me appreciate it. 

As for Days Between: Lazy River, Liberty, and So Many Roads, while great, are Garcia songwriting 101. Pretty generic stuff from him. Days Between was much more interesting musically, with the haunting and distorted guitar. Plus, great imagery from Hunter on that tune. Phantom ships with phantom sails set to sea on phantom tides...It's got that bittersweet feel that Garcia was the master of. Total end of life tune. I could, and have, gone on about this tune.

Very well stated about Days Between, exactly why to me it stood out far above the rest of that batch of new songs.

I loved all of those songs, even if they were overplayed.  So Many Roads and Lazy River were classic Jerry tunes in country territory he hadn't been into since the early 70s.  Liberty was a great tune and Days was totally interesting, if boring at times.  Eternity had that awesome jam in it.  Corrina was played way too much, but it was way better than Victim and opened up to some good jamming.  And Phil!!  Just having one Phil song after 20 years of silence would've been awesome.  We got 3!!  Easy Answers and Samba were not great, but okay.  Way To Go Home really should've stayed in the first set, like Brent's tunes were.

I did not realize Eternity had been performed by the Dead. I've only heard the version Bobby played live right after Jerry died. I always liked it, but of course it worked well and had a whole extra layer of meaning in that context.

Not really into anything post-85 for the most part, but my brother sent me a link to this and it's pretty good:

We're like the most opposite Deadheads!  I pretty much hate 83-85.  This video is cool.  Kind of weird filming.  Hard to believe Garcia was only 45 there.  He looks 70.

I think I liked Lazy River Road the best of that last batch. Just some lovely fingerpicking on that tune. Plus I think it was kind of a love letter to Barbara Meier - who was as gorgeous and cool a woman as Garcia ever romanced.

Thread the needle right through the eye

The thread that runs so true

All the others I let pass by

I only wanted you

Never cared for careless love

But how your bright eyes glowed

Way down down along

Lazy River Road

:wub

I think I liked Lazy River Road the best of that last batch. Just some lovely fingerpicking on that tune. Plus I think it was kind of a love letter to Barbara Meier - who was as gorgeous and cool a woman as Garcia ever romanced.

Thread the needle right through the eye

The thread that runs so true

All the others I let pass by

I only wanted you

Never cared for careless love

But how your bright eyes glowed

Way down down along

Lazy River Road

:wub

That verse was on the back of my wedding program. It is a great tune. There's a real nice live version probably from 94 with David Murray on sax that surprisingly works real well.

We're like the most opposite Deadheads!  I pretty much hate 83-85.  This video is cool.  Kind of weird filming.  Hard to believe Garcia was only 45 there.  He looks 70.

I'm not crazy about much of anything past '82, if I'm honest about it. I was always more a Jerry head than a Bobby head, and once the Persian (and the smokes!) really started to take him down, it pains me to hear his singing. My sweet spot for the Dead runs from about '70-'77 or so. Right now I've got some stuff from '73 & '74 that I've never heard before in the iTunes queue, and I'm looking forward to it.

Don't get me wrong, I love what some of the other guys in the band pulled off in the '80s, especially Brent and Bob, but listening to a full show from the latter years is not something I will do often. 

Goodbye, Jerry
Lucky Old Sun
Brokedown Palace
Stella Blue
My Sister and Brothers
Black Muddy River
To Lay Me Down
Sugaree
He's Gone
Death Don't Have No Mercy
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Box of Rain
Touch of Gray

This is my mixtape/playlist for Aug 9 every year

Another one I made years ago celebrates the incredibly diverse range of Jerry's musical influences

Jerry Garcia, A Great American Musician 1942-1995
Iko Iko
Cumberland Blues
Peggy-0
Blue Yodel #9
CC Rider>
It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
Stagger Lee
Big Railroad Blues
Eyes Of The World
Dark Star
Stella Blue
My Sisters and Brothers
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
Second That Emotion
Fire On The Mountain
Brokedown Palace

Some of those are studio versions, like Blue Yodel, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, Brokedown Palace, Stella Blue, Box Of Rain.  Most of the JGB songs are from the JGB live double CD (Sisters and Brothers, Lucky Old Sun).  Not sure what show the Second The Emotion is from but its JGB. Cumberland is from Europe 72, Big Railroad is from Skullfuck. To Lay Me Down is from Reckoning.

CC Rider>Train To Cry is from Shoreline 5-21-91, a smoking version

Stagger Lee is from Saratoge 6-27-85

Fire On The Mountain is from Ventura 1985, I think, when they opened the first set with it.

Eyes Of The World 2-15-73 Madison, WI

Iko Iko is from Greek 87

Dark Star is 2-13-70

Death Don't Have No Mercy is from Shoreline 9-29-89

Peggy-O is from New Haven, CT May 1977

Goodbye, Jerry

Lucky Old Sun

Brokedown Palace

Stella Blue

My Sister and Brothers

Black Muddy River

To Lay Me Down

Sugaree

He's Gone

Death Don't Have No Mercy

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Box of Rain

Touch of Gray

This is my mixtape/playlist for Aug 9 every year

Another one I made years ago celebrates the incredibly diverse range of Jerry's musical influencesJerry Garcia, A Great American Musician 1942-1995

Iko Iko

Cumberland Blues

Peggy-0

Blue Yodel #9

CC Rider>

It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry

Stagger Lee

Big Railroad Blues

Eyes Of The World

Dark Star

Stella Blue

My Sisters and Brothers

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Second That Emotion

Fire On The Mountain

Brokedown Palace

Are you on Spotify? Would love to be able to share those 2 playlists

HOLY CRAP! How have I never seen that before??? It's so easy for me to forget that Jerry used to move and emote on stage. But this is off the hook great.

Right?! I had never seen it before this morning, either! Good lord I've never seen him SO into it.....