• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to MB's list, as well: 2.28.69 Fillmore West, 9.17.70 Fillmore, 4.22.77 Cap Theatre, and again, that SPAC '83.....

As far as early 80s Dews go I've always been fond of the 7/31/82. In fact that whole second set is a smoker.

Could some head here recommend DVD material of/on GD? Is the Crimson, White & Indigo Box Set worth buyin'? Thank you!

I think The Dead Movie is pretty great, and I also have the closing of Winterland DVD set. Personally, I would start there, since I am a fan of everything pre-1980s.

That being said, the Crimson, White & Indigo set is pretty good. I saw it in the theatre, and was pleasantly surprised by how good most of it was.

Oh, and on Morning Dews...3/24/86 is a good one too.

Could some head here recommend DVD material of/on GD? Is the Crimson, White & Indigo Box Set worth buyin'? Thank you!

I love Ticket to New Year's (1987) and the View From The Vault IV that has Oakland and Anaheim 1987. They were playing very solid that summer and fall.

Downhill From Here is ripping good, too. Alpine Valley 1989.

Dead Ahead Radio City NYC Halloween 1980 isn't that bad either. Nice little acoustic set, really good singing for the Dead and some good electric stuff, too.

The problem with the early year video footage is that there is not that much and what there is is not the best performances, IMO.

A lot of people love the Grateful Dead movie, Winterland 1974, but the echo-y sound in the recordings always bugs me. Although there are moments of brilliance, it doesn't seem like it represents just how epic 1973 and 1974 could be on the best nights.

Anthem to Beauty in the Classic Albums series is also great to watch.

Regarding Grateful Dead dvd's you can get pretty much all them in one swoop, with the exception of the Crimson release. Somewhat decent price, too.

"Grateful Dead: All the Years Combine: The DVD Collection (14-DVD Box Set) (2012)"

I enjoy the below ones.

Truckin' Up To Buffalo (Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, NY, on July 4, 1989)
Downhill From Here (Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, July 17, 1989)

The bonus material on View From The Vault (Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA, July 8, 1990) is quite good.

The Closing Of Winterland (2-DVD) (Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, December 31, 1978)

Disagree with Shug about the Grateful Dead Movie box set.  That run of shows was outstanding in my view, I for one love the sound from these shows, and the bonus disc of straight up tunes without any of the movie stuff is top notch GD playing from my favorite era ('72-74).  I couldn't recommend it more. That's where I think you should start.

Regarding Grateful Dead dvd's you can get pretty much all them in one swoop, with the exception of the Crimson release. Somewhat decent price, too.

"Grateful Dead: All the Years Combine: The DVD Collection (14-DVD Box Set) (2012)"

I enjoy the below ones.

Truckin' Up To Buffalo (Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, NY, on July 4, 1989)

Downhill From Here (Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, July 17, 1989)

The bonus material on View From The Vault (Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA, July 8, 1990) is quite good.

The Closing Of Winterland (2-DVD) (Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, December 31, 1978)

I bought that and its a good value, but I have a sneaking suspicion they are trying to unload all their DVDs in preparation for Blu Ray releases...I'm just being cynical here, but they did turn the biz over to Rhino and they are definitely profit minded.

Yeah, each should make up their own mind about all things Dead, of course. I'm in the minority on being slightyl underwhelmed by the GD movie, but its just a matter of opinion. Not that its not good, I just don't think its as great as some do. Definitely worth having, but its not where I would start. Might have to do with the quality of the picture, too. Compare it to the Last Waltz (admittedly a very high standard) and you can easily see its flaws. But its the best we got from that era, so beggars can't be choosers. I like 80s Dead as much as I do 70s Dead, so for me, the higher video and sound quality of the 80s releases make them more attractive than the 70s ones, but that's just me.

No better video of the Dead out there than the 3rd set of the Closing of Winterland DVD.  When they pull in for a close up on Garcia's face as he stares into the camera and sings the lyrics to Dark Star, your eyeballs will melt and you will shit your pants.  Whole 3rd set is great, first and second are kind of meh. 

After that I would go with GD Movie, and Downhill from Here. 

I'm not too big on the '76 shows - a little slow and clunky for me, especially when you could go forward or backward to stellar shows from '74 or '77 - but damn, I just got through listening to some good stuff from 6/27/76. Had never heard this show before this week, and there's a really nice Help > Slip > Franklin's in the second set. Worth checking out.

The Crimson, White and Indigo set is worth owning if not for the Blow Away alone. This is my favorite version. The energy between the band is clearly visible which makes this show quite fun. Everything from the opening notes of Iko Iko to seeing Phil's intro to The Other One makes this set worth buying. If I recall correctly, Barnes and Noble may have had it for $20. If not, there are probably some used copies on Amazon.

And that bonus disc to The Movie could be a movie within itself! There's some great stuff on there. Pity there isn't more footage of the band. Was watching the Playboy After Dark segment on YouTube and wouldn't mind a release of their various TV/ misc. performances.

Yeah, '76 saw a lot of the tunes really slowed down. 

Agree on that Blow Away. Awesome. Cincinnati Blow Away from '890 is amazing, too. One of my favorites. Give it a whirl. The LLR is excellent, too:

http://archive.org/details/gd89-04-08.sbd.26348.sbeok.shnf

Also Knickerbocker, '90 is amazing:

http://archive.org/details/gd1990-03-26.sennME80.wklitz.94411.flac16

Decided to take a day trip to Cleveland to see the Grateful Dead exhibit - well worth the drive. Coolest thing was seeing the master tape(box) for the 4/29/71 show. Overall it  was great - Mickey Hart has a few if his drums there, but nothing from Kreutzmann.

Jerry's Nash guitar wasn't there, either - it was cool to see Weir's Ibanez. Anybody know the whereabouts of Jerry's Nash guitar?

bweir.jpg

I took my 3 year old with me, so I didn't get a chance to spend an enormous time there. His favorite part was the below:

DSC_0065.JPG

Below is the same link I posted a while ago. The exhibit is supposed to end mid-Jan. ,2013, though David Gans heard that it might be extended thru March, 2013.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/photo-gallery.aspx?storyid=240572