When I was walking to work this morning I happened to see a flyer for a Mickey Hart Band show (in the same theater where I saw Ryan Adams). I wonder if he knows his old pal Phil Lesh once played right up the street from where he will be playing. Of course, the GD actually played here once - in 1983.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Mickey B-Day, today.

On XM, for this day in GD's history, they played the below off of Rolling Thunder ---- never gotten around to get any Micky stuff - enjoy all the tunes played, definitely different. Liked the horns, but the sound of the horns was a bit off (needs to be remastered, perhaps).

1. "The Main Ten (Playing in the Band)" (Hart, Weir, Hunter) – 7:04
  2. "Fletcher Carnaby" (Hart, Hunter) – 4:14
  3. "Blind John" (Stetson, Monk) – 3:48
  4. "Young Man" (Hart, Monk) – 2:41
  5. "Deep, Wide, and Frequent" (Hart) – 5:33
  6. "Pump Song" (Weir, Hart, Hunter) – 4:42
  7. "

It's Mickey B-Day, today.

On XM, for this day in GD's history, they played the below off of Rolling Thunder ---- never gotten around to get any Micky stuff - enjoy all the tunes played, definitely different. Liked the horns, but the sound of the horns was a bit off (needs to be remastered, perhaps).

1. "Young Man" (Hart, Monk) – 2:41
  2. "Deep, Wide, and Frequent" (Hart) – 5:33
  3. "Pump Song" (Weir, Hart, Hunter) – 4:42

Something about those 3 songs gives me the creeps.

and NOJ, if Mickey doesn't give the creeps, just a little, you aren't human.

It started with that massive russian fur hat he used to wear in the late 60s.

His book on drumming is pretty damn good though.

I used the term different - creepy works too. Definitely need to get the record.

I always enjoyed that record. 

A-man: Leftover Salmon played Morgantown tonight......you may have enjoyed that.....

I think Widespread Panic played there a while back also. Whoever does the shows there must like that sort of music.

Leftover is Bluegrassy-Cajun Funk whatever....

I used to have a Leftover shirt that called it "Poly-Ethnic Cajun Slam Grass". LOL

Speaking of Mickey, below a nice piece on his and his studio's activity from 1971-76

http://hooterollin.blogspot.com/2012/08/album-projects-recorded-at-mickey-harts.html

Also in the comments section someone posted pictures of Bob's ACE studio --- some of which were taken during the Blues for Allah sessions, I never seen those before.

http://barncard.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=446

Any of you guys have Europe '72 Vol. 2?

There was no way I was going to buy the big box ($450 or whatever), but I finally picked up a used copy of this for about 12 bucks, and it's quite good. The first disc is uniformly solid (although the Bertha opener is not quite as good as the one on Skull & Roses), and the second disc has huge versions of Dark Star and The Other One which occupy most of the disc. Personally, I would rather have had a bunch more 5-star versions of shorter songs from the tour that were not on Vol. 1 (Casey Jones, Black Throated Wind, BIg Boss Man, etc.), as the monster songs grind almost to a halt at various points, but I'm still pretty happy with the release.

Watched this short TV broadcast from 1970 this weekend and was blown away by the Easy Wind. Goddamned Grateful Dead indeed! It sounds almost like a completely different band from the ramshackle loose one we know from the 80s and 90s. My wife said if the Dead sounded like that all the time, she'd be sold on the Dead. They were tight, heavy and completely locked in to one another. This holds up to anything Zeppelin, The Who and Sabbath did live that same year, I'd say. There was a short period of time when the Dead were among the finest heavy, loud, aggressive rock bands of the times, probably 1969-1971. (Think about the version of Hard To Handle from Hollywood Palladium 8-6-71 and the Good Morning Little School Girl from the Fillmore West in March 1969). Interesting that all three of the songs I've mentioned as examples are Pigpen lead vocals. I used to not be much of a Pigpen fan, but over the years his brilliance has become more apparent to me.

Can't see it because I'm at work but will check it out at some point. Pig was not very good on keys but could sing a tune with heart, that's for sure.

Man, I unfortunately lost my dog Banjo over the weekend to a freak disc explosion or some shit and the first thing I heard when I got to work and turned on gdradio was an amazingly melodic and beautiful version of "He Was A Friend of My." I about cried. I don't know the date/venue as it was from one of Gans' Dead Hours but certainly '70/'71. The jam in the tune was phenomenal. 

Sorry to hear about your dog, Lammy. Nothing like some good sad songs to get me through a sad time, I know what you mean.

On the Europe 72 Vol. II, my fave is the Sing Me Back Home. Maybe another good poignant one to check out, Lammy. Garcia singing so heartfelt and nice.

Any of you guys have Europe '72 Vol. 2?

I have this, it's a great collection in my book.  Haven't had it on in a while, but looking at the track list I remember that the Greatest Story simply *rages*!  

Got my notice that Sunshine Daydream has shipped.  Now hammering the UPS tracking site like every 30 minutes :headbonk