• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave's Picks Volume 6:

Well NOW we're talkin' some stuff! The more Pig the better!

I'm with all of ya on the two drummers thing. Looking back at some of the videos from later years, they really could've let a drummer sit for the first set and come out only for set 2. Most first set GD tunes are not worthy of two drummers. But I've heard many unreal Drums/Rhythm Devils that were out of this world. For this I appreciate the Billy/Micky combo.

Interesting, because I feel kinda the opposite. For me, the two-headed monster bashing away back there was often best on first set power songs like Cold Rain and Snow, Jack Straw, Feel Like A Stranger, etc. When folks say the two drummers were "unwieldy" and were like a tank, powerful but not able to turn corners quickly, I always thought that the biggest impact was on the transition jams between songs in the second set, which just didn't seem to be as adventureous from '76 on when Mickey was back. Personally, I like the deep powerful sound of two drummers. The only weak spot in the early seventies for me (besides Donna's bad vocals) was the drum sound was a bit thin and trebly with just Billy. But his strength was his jazzy deft playing and that would not have been quite the same with two drummers. I like it all, just for different reasons.

Billy's Swing style plays off Mickey's pounding perfectly, imo. I'll take 'em both, even though I liked the clarity of one drummer in the 70-s when Mickey was gone. Love hearing them both pounding out different yet complimentary beats/rhythms on tunes like Bertha, Estimated, Franklin's, etc. in the 80s, though.

Just got around to listening to "Wake of the Flood" for the first time. There's some good tunes on that album! Not sure what they saw in Martin Fierro's sax playing though

Seriously? The first time? Martin Fierro was a pretty fine and jazzy saxist, imo. He was in Legion of Mary for awhile, too. Played with a lot of great musicians. I've seen him a bunch in SCI and DSO and other bands. 

Just got around to listening to "Wake of the Flood" for the first time. There's some good tunes on that album! Not sure what they saw in Martin Fierro's sax playing though

Don't fuck around, man. Go directly to September 1973 - especially 9/11. Trust me on this one.

Seriously? The first time? Martin Fierro was a pretty fine and jazzy saxist, imo. He was in Legion of Mary for awhile, too. Played with a lot of great musicians. I've seen him a bunch in SCI and DSO and other bands. 

Yeah, I've always been a live music kinda guy when it comes to the Dead. Regarding Fierro, I hear a lot of Kenny G'ish bleating which unnerves me to no end, YMMV.

Finally finished 09.29.1980 Warfield

http://archive.org/details/gd1980-09-29.nak300.walker-scotton.miller.106783.flac16

Set 1:
d1t01 - Dire Wolf
d1t02 - On The Road Again
d1t03 - Bird Song
d1t04 - Cassidy
d1t05 - I've Been All Around This World
d1t06 - Heaven Help The Fool
d1t07 - To Lay Me Down
d1t08 - Dark Hollow
d1t09 - Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie
d1t10 - Ripple

Set 2:
d2t01 - Tuning
d2t02 - Jack Straw
d2t03 - They Love Each Other
d2t04 - El Paso
d2t05 - Brown Eyed Women
d2t06 - It's All Over Now
d2t07 - Candyman
d2t08 - New Minglewood Blues
d2t09 - China Cat Sunflower ->
d2t10 - I Know You Rider

Set 3:
d2t11 - Althea
d3t01 - Lost Sailor ->
d3t02 - Saint Of Circumstance ->
d3t03 - Terrapin Station ->
d3t04 - Drums ->
d3t05 - Space ->
d3t06 - Truckin' ->
d3t07 - Wharf Rat ->
d3t08 - Around And Around ->
d3t09 - Johnny B. Goode

Overall an impressive show.  Acoustic set starts out slow with average versions of Dire through Cassidy, but All Around This World through whole first set and through St. Circ is _amazing_.  Very impressive. Terrapin through JBGoode is average. US Blues was exceptional.

The electric first set was amazing. Can anyone name a better 1980 electric first set?

The electric first set was amazing. Can anyone name a better 1980 electric first set?

The second show at C.U. Boulder, Folsom Field comes to mind with a UJB->Playin'->UJB to open the show, as does the Lewiston, ME first set from September. The fist sets in most of '80 seemed pretty consistent with Alabama opener and the other Go To Heavan tunes in it, often ending in China->Rider or Deal. 

I've always loved the Heaven Help the Fool (jam) from those acoustic sets, too.

the Lewiston, ME first set from September.

Nice and long and more importantly, some hot playing! Althea, yeah! And that second set keeps up, too.

Alabama Getaway-> Greatest Story Ever Told, Sugaree, Me & My Uncle-> Mexicali Blues, Tennessee Jed, Feel Like A Stranger, Friend Of The Devil, Far From Me, Little Red Rooster, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider-> Promised Land

I love it when they could end the first set, but instead choose to throw in a bonus Promised Land. I was always bummed in the later years when they'd end the first set with Bird Song and NOT do Promised Land. "Goddammit, Bobby, rock us out to end the set!"

Everyone seems to agree, but I'll throw in another vote for 9/6. 105 minutes IIRC. A RIDICULOUS length for later period of Dead.

Starting to read  MCNally's 'A Long StrangeTrip'. Too bad that, (I suppose) thanks to f***ing dictator Franco,  we Spanish deadheads never had the opportunity to see them play (nor the money to go France or elsewhere)

love that barcelona scarfire and lost saint....

Hell, Barcelona in itself is world class. Gotta love those Catalan womens....mmmm hhhmmmm.