Music documentaries: recommend something!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think of that one as a documentary, more a performance film. Some good stuff nonetheless.

Agreed, but I was going on the fact that the first post listed concert films as examples.

Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is a fantastic documentary.

The Secret To A Happy Ending- Not a huge fan of DBT, but this ones pretty badass.

Rising Low-alot of cool stuff here, worth it for Vic Wooten's rendition of Amazing Grace alone

Meeting People is Easy

The few from the Classic Albums series that I thought were worth a damn and I've seen a good portion of them>>Dark Side of the Moon, Night At the Opera, Band S/T

Beatles Anthology-mother of all music documentaries imo. Wish every band I dug had something like this.

Which One's Pink

Cabin Fever-I'm a sucker for anything that shows much in the way of the recordings of albums.

I thought both PJ20 and Back and Forth were good examples of decent docs that could've been much better if they didn't seem so much like commercials for said bands.

Here's a great article from Jon Wurster, a man who has seen more rock documentaries than just about any other any human, about his favorite selections: http://www.avclub.co...document,65329/

cool, i don't think i've seen any of those.

i don't have netflix anymore, but am thinking of signing up for the streaming part...what are the odds that any of those are available via stream? like 0.3%?

Metallica Some Kind of Monster is the most hilarious piece of rock movie ever.

Totally! The whole notion of "marriage therapy" for a band, to keep that money-making juggernaut rolling, was hysterical. Even if you have zero interest in Metallica--which is certainly the case with me--this is an incredible movie. The band's shrink is the smoothest huckster ever.

Townes Van Zandt - Be Here To Love Me

Man, that one was so sad.

This one is another must watch for any Townes--or Guy Clark, Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell, John Hiatt, Steve Young--fans. The scene where Townes is playing "Waiting Around to Die" in the kitchen kills me everytime. The songwriters jam at Guy's place is pretty amazing too.

Overall just a great time capsule of early '70s outlaw country, highly recommended.

MV5BMTQyMTU1Njg2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTkxNzAwMQ@@._V1._SX339_SY475_.jpg

447692.jpg

Great depiction of the band at the end of their run, and their whole history (I'll sit through anything with Gary Young content). I have a bit of regional shame watching it since the awful Lollapalooza show were the fans throw sit at the band happened in my home state.

for any Hip-Hop fans out there I would strongly recommend the new 'Tribe Called Quest' documentary 'Beats, Rhymes and Life' which is a truly great piece of work. In a similar field I would also recommend the 'Dave Chapelle Block Party' Documentary from a a few years back.

Although not a music documentary the 'Zindane' (Mad French football genius) movie is amazing and is worth watching for the great Mogwai soundtrack throughout.