Hey guys a few questions for folks that have been to this fest...this is my first year going, so I wanted to get a better idea of how it works.

1. Are you able to come and go as you please during the event? Or is their no re-entry?

2. How crowded does the event typically get? I would imagine its not a huge area so they would need to limit the amount of tickets..it doesn't seem like the event is sold out at this time.

Will I need to "camp out" in front of the main stage for more then an hour to get a decent view?

3. Is it difficult to see the art exhibits with all the people?

5. Are there any Parks/Nature Areas worth visiting around the area, in case we feel like exploring?

6. Do they have more then 1 stage?

I know that's a lot of questions, just trying to think of the logisitics of everything so I can properly prepare.

EDIT...ok I got some of these answers from the website...so im editing the questions down..

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. In past years, we had a wristband we had to wear all weekend that allowed us to come and go. 

2. Some events will get pretty crowded, others less so. Both years I staked out a spot to see Nels play well in advance because I didn't want to have to be trying to see behind a wall of tall dudes taking pictures of his gear the whole time, but most of the time you can get a good spot without too much effort, except for the headlining sets.

3. I found mornings were the best times to check out the galleries, unless somebody was playing who had a big crowd but who I didn't want to see.

5. I think there are, but others can probably speak to that better than I can.

6. Yes. Lots of stages, plus pop-up shows within the galleries throughout the weekend.

Also, the comedy acts were inside, and they would only allow a certain amount of people at a time.  There would be lines outside the theater while they waited for people to leave.  So I would recommend planning on being in the theater for the act before the one you really want to see.  But that was really the only tight crowds.  Otherwise, the galleries are busy but the place is so huge, you can easily find quiet corners.  

The Appalachian Trail goes right through North Adams, so it is cool to walk some of that.  Also, Mount Greylock is right at the edge of town which offers some really good hiking.  Those are just the 2 that are closest, there are many more if you care to venture a little further.  

It depends on what you mean by "decent view."  I don't even try to be up against the rail for Wilco at this.  There are hard core fans who will be there all day, and there is too much cool stuff that I would miss if I stood there for hours.  We will take some folding chairs and set up somewhere between the soundboard and the stage and leave them there until the acts at the main stage start.  It won't be crowded there and we won't make anyone angry by setting up chairs right near the stage then leaving them just as space markers.  There is some higher ground there on the left side that makes for good viewing.  I'll save the rail for other shows.  But that's just me.  Plenty of people will be happy standing for hours up front, laying on blankets way in back, or sitting in between.  There's room for all kinds, and everyone can be happy.

Here's some interesting information about exhibits and installations for this year's festival. I'm intrigued by the Loft installation!

http://music.broadwayworld.com/article/Wilco-Crafted-Installations-Set-for-SOLID-SOUND-2013-621-23-20130425

Sounds even more amazing now!!

Wilco-Crafted Installations Set for SOLID SOUND 2013, 6/21-23
Thursday, Apr, 25, 2013; 8:58 PM; - by Music News Desk

Related: Wilco, Solid Sound 2013, MASS MoCA

2A67327DA-0F7D-832F-4BF494A47332C063.jpg

Continuing the tradition of creating new and exclusive artistic expressions as part of Solid Sound, several Wilco band members will premiere creative endeavors for this year's festival, taking place June 21-23 at MASS MoCA in North Adams, MA.

The first, created by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, is a simulated sonic and visual experience of Wilco's Chicago studio, The Loft. The installation will allow festival attendees a glimpse into the sights and sounds of the band's personal recording and rehearsal space through visuals and never-before-heard audio samplings.

The second, created by Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche, is called Earth Drums. A hands-on exhibit, Earth Drums will allow people to communicate through a collection of drums situated throughout the MASS MoCA campus.

The third, dubbed Oscillator Fumes, is a series of collaborative synthesizer performances by Wilco keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen and longtime Wilco crewmembers Nathaniel Murphy, Travis Thatcher and Josh Goldsmith. Previous exhibits premiering at past Solid Sound Festivals have included Nels Cline's Solid Sound Stompbox Station and Glenn Kotche's InGlenntions.

Another Solid Sound tradition is the festival's varied and extensive non-musical programming, which this year includes an urban birding walk; live birds of prey; post-concert guided star gazing with noted astronomer and famed solar eclipse-chaser Dr. Jay Pasachoff; an off-site naturalist hike; an axe restoration demonstration by Best Made; an environmental film series including a screening of the new documentary Musicwood; a "make-your-own musical instrument and jam session" for kids plus other kid-friendly crafts; discussions and demonstrations on home brewing, raising backyard chickens, making hot sauce, and more by Storey Publishing. Additional programming information will be available at solidsoundfestival.com.

Read more about Wilco-Crafted Installations Set for SOLID SOUND 2013, 6/21-23 - BWWMusicWorld by music.broadwayworld.com

It can be beautiful. Last time, though, it was an overcast, cloudy weekend, with major thunderstorms Saturday night, which made for a rain-soaked, muddy field and crowd but also contributed to the feeling of solidarity. It's in the mountains so there's low humidity and cool nights. So basically, come prepared for anything from warm and sunny to cool, and don't forget your poncho and comfortable shoes.

Saturday night, which made for a rain-soaked, muddy field and crowd but also contributed to the feeling of solidarity.

Wow, solidarity.  What a positive spin on it!  I felt rain-soaked, had ruined shoes, and couldn't hear the music for the rain.  But it made Saturday night all the more fantastic... except for when my friend almost did a face-plant in the mud and I missed hearing Hummingbird while consoling her!

Fingers crossed for blue skies!

Wow, solidarity.  What a positive spin on it!  I felt rain-soaked, had ruined shoes, and couldn't hear the music for the rain.  But it made Saturday night all the more fantastic... except for when my friend almost did a face-plant in the mud and I missed hearing Hummingbird while consoling her!

Fingers crossed for blue skies!

I don't remember it raining during Wilco's Saturday night set. It poured and lightning before. It certainly rained during most of Friday night's set as we huddled under rain gear and umbrellas, the rain is heard loud and clear on the recording.

You guys are right. It was Friday night that we had the downpour. And one of my favorite musical memories from the festival, when the PA cut out during Radio Cure and the crowd kept the song going until it came back on, with only Glenn's drums to help us keep time. Then at the end, after the sound came back on, Jeff said "Wow. One thing you can say about this audience--they have our back."  :love

I doubt it's anything more than a mis-posting, wherein someone on the Wilco staff accidentally put down all 3 nights of Solid Sound, with the accompanying "request a song" attachment possibilities, but...they did...and they are all up there...
Of course it would be amazing if they ended up playing all 3 days, but...it does give a chance for anyone to just load up whatever requests...
I'm going for "Sunloathe" for the Friday show, as are others here, as it's currently the lone unplayed live song from their regular album catalog...and it deserves it's debut somewhere special at this point (and I adore the song)...and then requesting some usual faves for the other days...
http://wilcoworld.net/#!/shows/

Sorry if this has been discussed already but just wondering if there are others out there who haven't received their tickets yet. Also haven't heard anything about my camping reservation. Is it just me? Thanks in advance.

What's the parking like in N Adams? How/where do the shuttles run?

Our hotel is in Pittsfield (approx. 30 minutes away) so if anyone who's done this before can offer any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hey TwoShedJackson...

I'm staying at the Williamstown Motel which is right on the shuttle route.

Our reservation of 2 adjoining double rooms should reserve at least 3 and maybe 4 parking spots.

My group will probably only need 2 spots, soo , I'm sure we can consolidate a spot.

If'n you want to look into pre-arranged free private local parking send me a PM so I could notify motel manager of my vehicles as well as yours.    45 days to go  ...woot!

Hey TwoShedJackson...

I'm staying at the Williamstown Motel which is right on the shuttle route.

Our reservation of 2 adjoining double rooms should reserve at least 3 and maybe 4 parking spots.

My group will probably only need 2 spots, soo , I'm sure we can consolidate a spot.

If'n you want to look into pre-arranged free private local parking send me a PM so I could notify motel manager of my vehicles as well as yours. 45 days to go ...woot!

Wow, that's really nice of you - thanks! I'll be in touch. :)

Sorry if this has been discussed already but just wondering if there are others out there who haven't received their tickets yet. Also haven't heard anything about my camping reservation. Is it just me? Thanks in advance.

Also don't have my tix. Kinda assumed I'd pick them up at will call. Have tix been mailed out in the past?

I wouldn't start panicking until at least 2 weeks before the festival.  We're talking a month and a half here, people.  

Yep, according to Front Gate Tickets tix will be sent out about 2 - 4 weeks before the festival. Same goes for camping reservation, I guess.