Just to prep those that have not been to a SS fest this slide show i made back in 2010 from the first festival might offer some insight onto what to expect. The backing music is from my master recording.

enjoy!

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid Sound artist set times are up: http://solidsoundfestival.com/solid-sound-schedule/

That's totally incredible...and some surprises...

First up is midnight movie madness, eh? The Yo La Tengo soundtrack to the Buckminster Fuller documentary is taking place after Wilco plays on Friday...

Wilco is scheduled to play 2 hours on Friday & 2 & 1/2 hours on Saturday- yay & rah and yayer & raher...also...on the official Wilco website they are also taking requests for Sunday, so one can hope that there might be an unscheduled Fest ending final & third Wilco set...unlikely I know, but I just said one can hope is all...

I know it's only a 15 min. difference & also know they are playing twice at the Fest already, but I was hoping that Yo La Tengo would be getting the spot before Wilco & thus the most time allotted...Neko Case gets that spot & gets 75 min. to Yo La Tengo's 60 minutes earlier in the afternoon...not a big deal, because Neko's great too...but still, if you've ever seen Yo La Tengo bash out a 15 min. jam that blows your mind, or heard them do 15 min. of ethereal acoustic encores, then you kinda want them to get every minute possible... just like with Wilco actually.

Otherwise, minor quarter-hour quibbling aside...carry on, everything is pretty amazing!!!

Just to prep those that have not been to a SS fest this slide show i made back in 2010 from the first festival might offer some insight onto what to expect. The backing music is from my master recording.

enjoy!

Nice! Thanks :)

enjoy!

Thanks, that was wonderful to re-watch! It really reminded me of how very much there is to see and do in the too-brief weekend! I'm always left realizing that I missed several acts and barely saw the art or the lovely town. That's ok though; it just draws me back to the next SSF. :)

Can someone help refresh my memory: is Sunday's schedule going later this year?  I have a memory of both Tweedy's and Levon's sets ending around 4:00 or so.  I have no memory of Sunday going to 7:00 in either of the previous SS's.

I can only speak for SS II, which ended around 5ish. I remember hitting the road home sometime around 5:30. I was surprised to see the later ending for Sunday, as well as the 1 hour slots for MMW on Sunday and Yo La Tengo on Saturday. With the special guests, I figured MMW would be at least 90 minutes.

All that said, I like that there is not much overlap. I hope to see everything on Friday, except the screening (I'll get the kids back to the hotel room to sleep so they are somewhat fresh for Saturday). On Saturday, I am looking forward to The Dream Syndicate, and the ending run of Foxygen-Low-Neko Case-Wilco. On Sunday, I plan to see most of the acts, but I am a definite for The Autumn Defense and Os Mutantes.

So, how large is Courtyard C..as I really want to see the Yo La Tengo live soundtrack...but I do not want to leave Wilco early Friday to get a good spot.

Weird that they would do it AFTER Wilco played...I was hoping it would be the first part of the set.

Can't wait for White Denim, Yo La (both days), Foxyen, and of course Wilco.

Sunday seems a lot more crowded then I was expecting.

So does this mean that Wilco won't do Encores past those times?

enjoy!

and a lot of the photos were mine ;)

that was cool seeing again, thanks for posting.

Any good parking tips? We live in Amherst MA and so I'll be driving daily to North Adams. I realize there are official parking lots 2+ miles away (w/ shuttle) but was wondering if anyone tried parking on their own around North Adams during the last Solid Sound

Any good parking tips? We live in Amherst MA and so I'll be driving daily to North Adams. I realize there are official parking lots 2+ miles away (w/ shuttle) but was wondering if anyone tried parking on their own around North Adams during the last Solid Sound

There is a public lot just south of MassMoCA, on the other side of Rt 2.  It is accessed from Rt 8, enter at the Freight Yard restaurant and follow the lot towards the end.  From there, there is a pedestrian bridge over Rt 2 that will take you towards the main entrance.  In years past, there is another exit from the venue (out towards the Airstream) that leads right to the pedestrian bridge.  This lot is not on any of the maps Solid Sound puts out, but I was encouraged to park there by the restaurant manager and both years I was surprised to find that it was basically empty.

2013 Solid Sound Festival Takes Leaf from Wonka's Book with Golden Ticket Contest

Anyone who has ever attended the Solid Sound Festival knows the parallels to Willy Wonka's famed mythical chocolate factory are easy to draw. The Wilco-created three-day festival takes place June 21-23 at the playfully exotic MASS MoCA, a large-scale contemporary art museum in North Adams, MA. Over three days and nights, alongside a full and varied program of live music and comedy, festival-goers can stargaze with a noted astronomer, learn to restore an axe (the Paul Bunyan kind) and learn about birds of prey firsthand. Fittingly, the festival has now teamed with Brooklyn small-batch chocolate makers Mast Brothers to present a limited-run Solid Sound Festival chocolate bar, complete with a golden ticket prize contest. Watch a fun promo video for the contest below!

The Mast Brothers/Solid Sound limited edition chocolate bar is Sea Salt-flavored, created by the award-winning Mast Brothers, and wrapped in custom Solid Sound paper. Only 3,500 bars were made, and they are available now through select retailers throughout the U.S. (listed below) and exclusively online at the Solid Sound Festival website, solidsoundfestival.com. Five of the 3,500 bars contain a golden ticket wrapped inside, and lucky golden ticket recipients will each receive two free three-day Solid Sound Festival passes and a chance to pick a song live onstage for Wilco to perform during the band's all-request set on the festival's opening night.

"Music has always been an essential part of our chocolate making culture, so when Wilco approached us to collaborate, it was a no brainer. We are all huge fans and have a mutual respect for each other's craft," said Mast Brothers founder Michael Mast.

Mast Brothers chocolate bars are made completely from scratch. Everything from the roasting and grinding of the cacao beans to the design of the beautiful paper that wraps each bar is done in-house at Mast Brothers' factory in Brooklyn, NY.

Solid Sound Festival is a three-day celebration of music, art, comedy and more, and it takes place June 21-23at Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams, MA. It features two nights of Wilco, including Wilco's first-ever all-requests-including-covers concert on Friday. Additional musical performers include Neko Case, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Yo La Tengo, Low, Foxygen, The Relatives, Os Mutantes and more. There is also a full program of comedy selected by John Hodgman featuring Reggie Watts, Al Madrigal and Jen Kirkman plus a wide array of all-ages programming, a live performance of the acclaimed public radio show Radiolab, an environmental documentary film festival and much more.

http://youtu.be/hGkWgFpKcSI 

Three-day festival passes and single day tickets are available at the festival's official website,solidsoundfestival.com. Three-day tickets are $149. Single-day tickets for Friday, June 21 and Sunday, June 23 are $65. Single-day tickets for Saturday are sold out. Three-day passes for children ages 7-10 are $50 and children 6 and under are free.

Solidsoundfestival.com also features information on camping, area lodging, direct Peter Pan bus transportation to and from the festival and more.

List of places where you can buy Mast Brothers/Solid Sound Sea Salt Chocolate Bar (while supplies last):
Park Slope Food Co-op (Brooklyn)
Mast Brothers Chocolate (Brooklyn)
Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (Brooklyn)
Bird (Brooklyn)
The Brooklyn Kitchen (Brooklyn)
Forager's Market (Brooklyn)
Depanneur (Brooklyn)
wEastern District (Brooklyn)
Malt & Mold (Manhattan)
Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (Manhattan)
Saturdays Surf NYC (Manhattan)
Bank Square Coffeehouse (Beacon)
Brookline Booksmith (Boston)
Institute of Contemporary Art Store (Boston)
Formaggio Kitchen - Cambridge (Boston)
Formaggio Kitchen - South End (Boston)
American Provisions (Boston)
Rubiner's Cheesemongers & Grocers (Great Barrington)
Fromage Fine Foods and Coffees (Old Saybrook)
Stock Culinary Goods (Providence)
One Shot Coffee (Philadelphia)
Olivia's Market (Chicago)
Fromagination (Madison)
Barista Parlor (Nashville)
Oddly Correct (Kansas City)
Ardovino's Desert Crossing (Sunland Park)
Individual Medley (Los Angeles)
The Oaks Gourmet Market (Los Angeles)
Broome St. General Store (Los Angeles)
Twig & Fig (Berkeley)
The Gardener (Berkeley)
DeLaurenti (Seattle)

Read more about VIDEO: 2013 Solid Sound Festival Takes Leaf from Wonka's Book with Golden Ticket Contest Page 2- BWWMusicWorld by music.broadwayworld.com

Just got an email about this:

http://www.massmoca.org/event_details.php?id=811

We're doing the midnight dinner. Sounds like an amazing opportunity.

It does sound amazing except for it's Saturday night. I will be to tired and dirty after a all day festival to enjoy it like it is meant to be enjoyed. I wish they had it on Thursday night instead. :yeaahh

It does sound amazing except for it's Saturday night. I will be to tired and dirty after a all day festival to enjoy it like it is meant to be enjoyed. I wish they had it on Thursday night instead. :yeaahh

I agree it's a bit late for dinner but it's too much to resist. I'm a local food enthusiast as well so that puts it over the top for me. Sunday wouldn't have been really good timing for a nice dinner and wind down from the festival but what can you do? The first year of SS we went to the Gramercy (the restaurant right at the entrance to MASS MoCA) for dinner after the festival ended and a few of the band members were there. It was kind of special to share the room after such a great event.

I agree it's a bit late for dinner but it's too much to resist. I'm a local food enthusiast as well so that puts it over the top for me. Sunday wouldn't have been really good timing for a nice dinner and wind down from the festival but what can you do? The first year of SS we went to the Gramercy (the restaurant right at the entrance to MASS MoCA) for dinner after the festival ended and a few of the band members were there. It was kind of special to share the room after such a great event.

Thursday would have been a perfect kick off to the event but oh well. My wife who is a pretty good chef would have loved to do this but i am pretty sure she's going to give it the kabosh because of the timing. 

Now the early dinner that takes place what MASS MoCA describes as a beautiful unrenovated 19th-century mill building, overlooking the Hoosac River near the mainstage where Wilco plays. That would be cool if they let you hang out there to watch the gig. 

2013 Solid Sound Festival Takes Leaf from Wonka's Book with Golden Ticket Contest

Anyone who has ever attended the Solid Sound Festival knows the parallels to Willy Wonka's famed mythical chocolate factory are easy to draw. The Wilco-created three-day festival takes place June 21-23 at the playfully exotic MASS MoCA, a large-scale contemporary art museum in North Adams, MA. Over three days and nights, alongside a full and varied program of live music and comedy, festival-goers can stargaze with a noted astronomer, learn to restore an axe (the Paul Bunyan kind) and learn about birds of prey firsthand. Fittingly, the festival has now teamed with Brooklyn small-batch chocolate makers Mast Brothers to present a limited-run Solid Sound Festival chocolate bar, complete with a golden ticket prize contest. Watch a fun promo video for the contest below!

The Mast Brothers/Solid Sound limited edition chocolate bar is Sea Salt-flavored, created by the award-winning Mast Brothers, and wrapped in custom Solid Sound paper. Only 3,500 bars were made, and they are available now through select retailers throughout the U.S. (listed below) and exclusively online at the Solid Sound Festival website, solidsoundfestival.com. Five of the 3,500 bars contain a golden ticket wrapped inside, and lucky golden ticket recipients will each receive two free three-day Solid Sound Festival passes and a chance to pick a song live onstage for Wilco to perform during the band's all-request set on the festival's opening night.

"Music has always been an essential part of our chocolate making culture, so when Wilco approached us to collaborate, it was a no brainer. We are all huge fans and have a mutual respect for each other's craft," said Mast Brothers founder Michael Mast.

Mast Brothers chocolate bars are made completely from scratch. Everything from the roasting and grinding of the cacao beans to the design of the beautiful paper that wraps each bar is done in-house at Mast Brothers' factory in Brooklyn, NY.

Solid Sound Festival is a three-day celebration of music, art, comedy and more, and it takes place June 21-23at Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams, MA. It features two nights of Wilco, including Wilco's first-ever all-requests-including-covers concert on Friday. Additional musical performers include Neko Case, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Yo La Tengo, Low, Foxygen, The Relatives, Os Mutantes and more. There is also a full program of comedy selected by John Hodgman featuring Reggie Watts, Al Madrigal and Jen Kirkman plus a wide array of all-ages programming, a live performance of the acclaimed public radio show Radiolab, an environmental documentary film festival and much more.

http://youtu.be/hGkWgFpKcSI 

Three-day festival passes and single day tickets are available at the festival's official website,solidsoundfestival.com. Three-day tickets are $149. Single-day tickets for Friday, June 21 and Sunday, June 23 are $65. Single-day tickets for Saturday are sold out. Three-day passes for children ages 7-10 are $50 and children 6 and under are free.

Solidsoundfestival.com also features information on camping, area lodging, direct Peter Pan bus transportation to and from the festival and more.

List of places where you can buy Mast Brothers/Solid Sound Sea Salt Chocolate Bar (while supplies last):

Park Slope Food Co-op (Brooklyn)

Mast Brothers Chocolate (Brooklyn)

Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (Brooklyn)

Bird (Brooklyn)

The Brooklyn Kitchen (Brooklyn)

Forager's Market (Brooklyn)

Depanneur (Brooklyn)

wEastern District (Brooklyn)

Malt & Mold (Manhattan)

Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (Manhattan)

Saturdays Surf NYC (Manhattan)

Bank Square Coffeehouse (Beacon)

Brookline Booksmith (Boston)

Institute of Contemporary Art Store (Boston)

Formaggio Kitchen - Cambridge (Boston)

Formaggio Kitchen - South End (Boston)

American Provisions (Boston)

Rubiner's Cheesemongers & Grocers (Great Barrington)

Fromage Fine Foods and Coffees (Old Saybrook)

Stock Culinary Goods (Providence)

One Shot Coffee (Philadelphia)

Olivia's Market (Chicago)

Fromagination (Madison)

Barista Parlor (Nashville)

Oddly Correct (Kansas City)

Ardovino's Desert Crossing (Sunland Park)

Individual Medley (Los Angeles)

The Oaks Gourmet Market (Los Angeles)

Broome St. General Store (Los Angeles)

Twig & Fig (Berkeley)

The Gardener (Berkeley)

DeLaurenti (Seattle)

Read more about VIDEO: 2013 Solid Sound Festival Takes Leaf from Wonka's Book with Golden Ticket Contest Page 2- BWWMusicWorld by music.broadwayworld.com

File Under: Both- Just when you thought you couldn't love Wilco anymore than you already do...and...just when you thought Solid Sound couldn't get any cooler...

I LOVE this idea...so much so that I'm planning on buying a few bars to open with friends, mostly just for the fun of it (well, that & somewhat for the delicious chocolate)...Yeah it's a little expensive, but better chocolate can cost $3-5 a bar already, & I love supporting the idea of the creativity, fun & playfulness being presented here...what a cool thing to share with everyone!!

Oddly though...The Wilco Store was listed as a place to get them & I went there earlier & saw a little spot for ordering with the pre-orders beginning tomorrow, Sat. May 11th, with the orders needing to be finished by May 19th & the bars being mailed out on May 21st...2 bars per order & a limit of 2 orders per person. Strangely that's no longer up on the website & I don't see The Wilco Store website on the list of places selling the chocolate bar (I thought it was on the list before, I think at the bottom)..."The Wilco Store (online)" is the last place listed in the video...

Anyone know anything about this?

I was going to order a few (probably the limit of 4), & since they are having a 10% off sale on the music, I was going to pick up the few Roadcase shows I was missing...waiting to order now, due to the missing potentially golden ticket laden chocolate bar pre-order possibilities...hoping to do so tomorrow...