Oddly though...The Wilco Store was listed as a place to get them & I went there earlier & saw a little spot for ordering with the pre-orders beginning tomorrow, Sat. May 11th, with the orders needing to be finished by May 19th & the bars being mailed out on May 21st...2 bars per order & a limit of 2 orders per person. Strangely that's no longer up on the website & I don't see The Wilco Store website on the list of places selling the chocolate bar (I thought it was on the list before, I think at the bottom)..."The Wilco Store (online)" is the last place listed in the video...

Anyone know anything about this?

I was going to order a few (probably the limit of 4), & since they are having a 10% off sale on the music, I was going to pick up the few Roadcase shows I was missing...waiting to order now, due to the missing potentially golden ticket laden chocolate bar pre-order possibilities...hoping to do so tomorrow...

I also don't see it today.  I also checked yesterday, and didn't see it then either.

Was it in its own little section, or hiding under "stickers, etc" or something? 

The SS website doesn't list the online sale option anymore... just the list of shops.  This would be unfortunate.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't see it today.  I also checked yesterday, and didn't see it then either.

Was it in its own little section, or hiding under "stickers, etc" or something? 

The SS website doesn't list the online sale option anymore... just the list of shops.  This would be unfortunate.

It was right on the front page (when you first go on the website & they have one item from various areas- 3 wide/across/horizontal & 6 deep/going down/vertical), can't recall what heading it was listed under...tried searching for it & couldn't find it...

"The Wilco Store (online)" is still listed in the video...I'm betting they will either be available from The Wilco Store or the Solid Sound website...and if we don't see 'em up on Monday, I'll call & find out what the deal is...

I just got a email from the KC supplier "Oddly Correct" after inquiring about them shipping me some of their stock SS candy bars.  They said they are not available for on line mail order sales. I'm wondering if anyone has found one of the locations willing to ship some stock. Or are all the locations under obligation to sell in house only?

I'm sending my mother in law down to Westport's Oddly Correct to pick up some of the bars. She was happy to do it, but she said she will probably be the one at the store that is not a beatnik.  :blink

OK the mystery of the Golden Ticketed Chocolate Bars & The Wilco Store (online) selling them has been solved. I just spoke to the always helpful, kind & articulate Annick & she filled me in thusly...
They were briefly up on the home page & at the end of the article, but they were removed from the article & website, (they are still listed at the end of the video) because...
Three experimental chocolate bars were mailed to The Wilco Store & they did not survive the mission...so they aren't able to be mailed safely...
The good news is that none of the three were golden ticket bars, so now there are 3,497 bars, rather than 3,500 meaning the odds that were previously 700 to 1, are now 699.4 to 1.
Happily I have friends in Brooklyn...and...I'm heading to see The Flaming Lips & will be in NYC on Thursday & Friday, so I'm hoping to actually buy some, old school stylin', just like in the movie...getting my channelin' the Spirit of Charlie vibe in order...

Three experimental chocolate bars were mailed to The Wilco Store & they did not survive the mission...so they aren't able to be mailed safely...

I have had fragil vinyl records, fine crystal, stained glass windows and assortment of other breakables sent to my house in the past and all of them have survived unscathed. Bubble wrap works wonders Wilco!  :headbonk

I have had fragil vinyl records, fine crystal, stained glass windows and assortment of other breakables sent to my house in the past and all of them have survived unscathed. Bubble wrap works wonders Wilco!  :headbonk

Details...they tried some extreme temp protecting measures (like what your suggesting), but...The Wilco Store is in North Carolina, & they were looking at the bars having to go from NYC to there & then out across to country to places that were either farther away, or more temp sensitive, or both, etc., etc. ...so they just figured it was logistically not going to work...too much risk of too many Choconauts not surviving their respective missions to the Planet California or the deeper southern recesses of the Planet Texas etc., etc.....

I wonder if temperatures were the problem, rather than bars being broken? It's 93 degrees today here in ridiculously sunny southern CA. Chocolate wouldn't survive being left in a mailbox!

I'm pretty sure it was more about temp than breaking myself...or so it sounded...

I'm sure it was the temperature issue. There would certainly be some bars that melted, and people would start bitching about inadequate packaging. Of course, there are ways to ship chocolate in the heat, but they're expensive and then people would be bitching about high shipping charges. I think this was a smart move--sometimes you just can't win!

I'm sure it was the temperature issue. There would certainly be some bars that melted, and people would start bitching about inadequate packaging. Of course, there are ways to ship chocolate in the heat, but they're expensive and then people would be bitching about high shipping charges. I think this was a smart move--sometimes you just can't win!

Turns out Annick also left me a message at home earlier (we ended up talking to each other, not each other's machines, from my office later in the day), & it was in fact the temperature issues. They said the shipping costs would have gotten ridiculous & it just become unfeasible.

Candy bars?

Copied & pasted from post #291 in this thread...

2013 Solid Sound Festival Takes Leaf from Wonka's Book with Golden Ticket Contest

Anyone who has ever attended the Solid Sound Festival knows the parallels to Willy Wonka's famed mythical chocolate factory are easy to draw. The Wilco-created three-day festival takes place June 21-23 at the playfully exotic MASS MoCA, a large-scale contemporary art museum in North Adams, MA. Over three days and nights, alongside a full and varied program of live music and comedy, festival-goers can stargaze with a noted astronomer, learn to restore an axe (the Paul Bunyan kind) and learn about birds of prey firsthand. Fittingly, the festival has now teamed with Brooklyn small-batch chocolate makers Mast Brothers to present a limited-run Solid Sound Festival chocolate bar, complete with a golden ticket prize contest. Watch a fun promo video for the contest below!

The Mast Brothers/Solid Sound limited edition chocolate bar is Sea Salt-flavored, created by the award-winning Mast Brothers, and wrapped in custom Solid Sound paper. Only 3,500 bars were made, and they are available now through select retailers throughout the U.S. (listed below) and exclusively online at the Solid Sound Festival website, solidsoundfestival.com. Five of the 3,500 bars contain a golden ticket wrapped inside, and lucky golden ticket recipients will each receive two free three-day Solid Sound Festival passes and a chance to pick a song live onstage for Wilco to perform during the band's all-request set on the festival's opening night.

"Music has always been an essential part of our chocolate making culture, so when Wilco approached us to collaborate, it was a no brainer. We are all huge fans and have a mutual respect for each other's craft," said Mast Brothers founder Michael Mast.

Mast Brothers chocolate bars are made completely from scratch. Everything from the roasting and grinding of the cacao beans to the design of the beautiful paper that wraps each bar is done in-house at Mast Brothers' factory in Brooklyn, NY.

Solid Sound Festival is a three-day celebration of music, art, comedy and more, and it takes place June 21-23at Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams, MA. It features two nights of Wilco, including Wilco's first-ever all-requests-including-covers concert on Friday. Additional musical performers include Neko Case, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Yo La Tengo, Low, Foxygen, The Relatives, Os Mutantes and more. There is also a full program of comedy selected by John Hodgman featuring Reggie Watts, Al Madrigal and Jen Kirkman plus a wide array of all-ages programming, a live performance of the acclaimed public radio show Radiolab, an environmental documentary film festival and much more.

http://youtu.be/hGkWgFpKcSI 

Three-day festival passes and single day tickets are available at the festival's official website,solidsoundfestival.com. Three-day tickets are $149. Single-day tickets for Friday, June 21 and Sunday, June 23 are $65. Single-day tickets for Saturday are sold out. Three-day passes for children ages 7-10 are $50 and children 6 and under are free.

Solidsoundfestival.com also features information on camping, area lodging, direct Peter Pan bus transportation to and from the festival and more.

List of places where you can buy Mast Brothers/Solid Sound Sea Salt Chocolate Bar (while supplies last):

Park Slope Food Co-op (Brooklyn)

Mast Brothers Chocolate (Brooklyn)

Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (Brooklyn)

Bird (Brooklyn)

The Brooklyn Kitchen (Brooklyn)

Forager's Market (Brooklyn)

Depanneur (Brooklyn)

wEastern District (Brooklyn)

Malt & Mold (Manhattan)

Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (Manhattan)

Saturdays Surf NYC (Manhattan)

Bank Square Coffeehouse (Beacon)

Brookline Booksmith (Boston)

Institute of Contemporary Art Store (Boston)

Formaggio Kitchen - Cambridge (Boston)

Formaggio Kitchen - South End (Boston)

American Provisions (Boston)

Rubiner's Cheesemongers & Grocers (Great Barrington)

Fromage Fine Foods and Coffees (Old Saybrook)

Stock Culinary Goods (Providence)

One Shot Coffee (Philadelphia)

Olivia's Market (Chicago)

Fromagination (Madison)

Barista Parlor (Nashville)

Oddly Correct (Kansas City)

Ardovino's Desert Crossing (Sunland Park)

Individual Medley (Los Angeles)

The Oaks Gourmet Market (Los Angeles)

Broome St. General Store (Los Angeles)

Twig & Fig (Berkeley)

The Gardener (Berkeley)

DeLaurenti (Seattle)

Read more about VIDEO: 2013 Solid Sound Festival Takes Leaf from Wonka's Book with Golden Ticket Contest Page 2- BWWMusicWorld by music.broadwayworld.com