Just FYI, that's what I did in 2011, only in our case it was 4 people in the room, none of whom knew each other before that weekend. AND it was 2 women and 2 men. It worked out beautifully, and we all even stay in touch. Don't hesitate--Wilco fans are great people, for the most part.

Starting to look like I'm going solo this year, not sure what to make of that yet, but as you know every year at Mass MoCA has been an up or down with regards to who I go with and stuff, so maybe solo is the way to go.  Interestingly enough, today would have been my wedding anniversary and I just noticed that now.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're kidding about Impossible Germany. That's throwing away your request for sure, since I can't imagine a scenario where they WOULDN'T play that song. I don't know whether you golden ticket winners will submit your request ahead of time or just throw them at the band on the spot, but I'm sure they'll be able to do Pieholden, and just look how many of us are excited about hearing it live.

Yes, kidding. I am also not sure how we submit our request. 

I can't wait to get out of New York for a few days.

I can't wait to see everybody! We should do a VC meet-up somewhere, pre-festival, on Friday...would you be interested? It would be great to see so many old friends as well as meet those who are still only known to me by a VC username. Nalafej, apologies...I was just telling someone that I was pretty sure you were a female. Don't know where I got that. Yep, we need a meet-up. There will be homemade beef jerky to go with your brews. :) 

Yes, kidding. I am also not sure how we submit our request. 

I look forward to your updates on what happens.  Also, I hope you can get your ticket autographed.

I can't wait to see everybody! We should do a VC meet-up somewhere, pre-festival, on Friday...would you be interested? It would be great to see so many old friends as well as meet those who are still only known to me by a VC username. Nalafej, apologies...I was just telling someone that I was pretty sure you were a female. Don't know where I got that. Yep, we need a meet-up. There will be homemade beef jerky to go with your brews. :)

Also, I think there should be a VC booth.

After the fiasco of trying to schedule a VC meetup the first year (I'm still stinging from all the planning that went awry when the restaurant screwed up our reservation and we all ended up scattering around wherever we could find a place that could seat us), I'm going to suggest we just commandeer a table at the outside bar/restaurant there on the grounds at Mass MoCA--the one overlooking one of the courtyard stages. I think that kinda sorta worked in 2011, if I recall correctly. I do remember that were some folks who were shy about approaching the table where all these people seemed to know each other, so maybe we can make a sign for the table. But newbies, please, you "Shouldn't Be Ashamed" of just barging in on a group of people.  

Also, FWIW, I don't think we need to ask Mass MoCA for permission to put a sign on the table--I'd rather apologize later than ask permission first. Also, unless someone with an artistic bent wants to make a pretty sign, I'll be happy to make an ugly one for informational purposes only. I expect to be arriving early.

Any other ideas?

Only that the sign should have large sequins glued around the sides for a border, and it would really be cool if it had pom-pons attached somehow.

Nametags.

"Hello, my name is________________ (insert VC handle here).

And perhaps real name below.

My sign may read: " Hi, I'm dagwave. If I appear to be lost and/or crying and confused, please return to the floor in front of Nels.

My sign may read: " Hi, I'm dagwave. If I appear to be lost and/or crying and confused, please return to the floor in front of Nels.

I don't think the floor in front of Nels would be a safe place to be. He might miss his pedalboard when he's spazzing out during a solo, and I wouldn't want to be in the direct path of all that energy.

We will allot extra nametags for you (to write all that) and will try to assist in apparent emergencies. :)

Diane, you can stand behind dagwave for added safety.

it looks like they are close to selling out of 3 day tickets. Is this the first year they sold out?

I believe so.  Saturday single day sold out a week or 2 ago.  First year we were staying at a bed and breakfast with some folks from VT who were friends with the promoter (is Higher Ground involved), and was told that they were at about maybe 60% capacity.  That number could be off, but they had hoped to sell a lot more tickets than they did.

I'm a little fearful that it will be noticeably more crowded this year.  Not that there's anything wrong with being at a festival of Wilco fans!  But, one of the charms of SS1 and SS2 was the absence of long lines for food and beverages and restrooms, and the ability to move around the grounds and get to spots for the performances with relative ease.  Maybe I'm being selfish (naturally anxious would be another way of looking at it  :headbonk  ) , but I don't see the words "sold out" and think good thoughts.  Happy to have someone tell me I'm wrong.

yeah, I was actually hoping for a more low key festival experience. It's part of the reason I decided I wanted to go. Im pretty spoiled in South Florida as the bands I like aren't very popular and rarely sell out. Ive been to 5 Wilco shows and sat near or at the front of the stage without much hassle for all of them. Im not expecting to get that close at a Wilco event like this, but I don't really want to fell like a sardine either.