• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were giving out free water and volunteers/staff members were walking around checking in with people to make sure they were hydrated and to make sure everyone knew where the water spouts and bathrooms were.

RE: Wilco shirt photos - Awesome project, great idea! Thanks for sharing. Cool way to break the ice and meet people too. Also refutes the very stupid "Don't be that guy" argument about wearing band shirts to shows.

I think that Courtyard D is a prisoner of the heat. 

Totally agree. I've been to all 3 SS Fests and I've yet to stick it out to see anyone on that stage. It's too hot and I just can't seem to find a good spot to feel comfortable in. I was thinking that the museum should challenge some artists to create some kind of a shade sail or something to help out at least a little bit.

this probably won't get approved to run as a separate gallery for my coverage I was on assignment for, so i'll post it here...on day 2 i got the idea to try to catalog the different Wilco shirts I saw around the festival...here they are!

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/wilco_tshirts

Love that collection.  You missed me!  I've got a photo of me in a shirt you don't already have in your collection, you can have it if you want (and no problem if you don't)

RE: Wilco shirt photos - Awesome project, great idea! Thanks for sharing. Cool way to break the ice and meet people too. Also refutes the very stupid "Don't be that guy" argument about wearing band shirts to shows.

Growing up in the Grateful Dead world, wearing GD related tee shirts was part of the communal fun of going to shows, and supporting the artists who came up with all those designs.  The same goes for Wilco, with their posters and tee shirt collections.  Those shirts are works of original art, love seeing them. I draw a line with the mass produced "tour shirts".   

. I actually got shushed by some old guy during Wilco 's (lackluster) Saturday night set.

Can someone explain to me the following: 1) Why some people think it's acceptable to have long conversations during a concert, and 2) Why they'd want to. If you said a sentence of two, that's cool. If you are carrying on a conversation, that's just unacceptable. Why even go? You are taking the right of the other people who paid good money to hear the show. Not cool. I took my nine year old to Wilco last year. He knows to pay attention to a band that expects that attention. So, if your talking is too excessive or too loud, you should be "shushed", whether or not it's from an "old guy". Concerts and other events where large people gather are not just for, or about, one person. Even Mr. Tweedy has quieted people, and good for him.

Well, because it was a festival, which is usually a "festive" occassion, one where folks chat among themselves in a conversational tone. We weren't being boorish. The dude needed to relax. Were you, by chance, sitting in a white folding chair on the hill wearing a fetching "down under" type hat? If you were, mea culpa. I'll try to have less fun next time.

this probably won't get approved to run as a separate gallery for my coverage I was on assignment for, so i'll post it here...on day 2 i got the idea to try to catalog the different Wilco shirts I saw around the festival...here they are!

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/wilco_tshirts

Nice!  That collection was great fun to scroll through.  (I own four of the featured shirts.)

I'll say the limited audience skills in the U.S. seem to be a bigger problem every passing year.  Everyone likes to have fun and talk to each other, and for this reason they do it a lot.  I don't think an unceasing, stoic silence during a rock concert is appropriate, but holy shit if some people don't talk through some of the better musical experiences.  There's an art to being receptive and only taking things in, without having to throw your personality out of your mouth.  I find movies, live music sets are the best types of places to hone this skill.  I can blab almost everywhere else.

I wasn't there. But I think the point is that it's not just you that's attending. I'll give you that, if the vibe is such that people are talking, that's fine. I've attended and played those shows, as well as shows where people listened to me playing. Playing in Nashville, especially, in songwriting rounds, some rooms will evict you, because that's what they're about. If I go to a bar and listen to a band play covers, I'll talk and they expect that.

If the vibe of Solid Sound is that people are "conversational" during sets, so be it. But, if not, it is intrusive to think that your conversation should be thrust on other people. It's just not cool. If you said a couple of things, and the guy "shushed", maybe he needed to chill. But if you were talking throughout the show, you were wrong, and perhaps you need to consider that. When you buy a ticket, it's not just for you to listen to the band, it's for a group of people. I've got to side with Jeff on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3AOlbJXos&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I can blab almost everywhere else.

And I think that's the point. Not only is excessive talking egregious, but man...I don't need to hear about your stylist or how wasted you got last week. Hit a bar and talk all you want.

I played a show one time in Chicago. Not ten feet from the stage, two drunk guys talked loudly during our entire, acoustic set. Afterwards, one of them came up to me and said, "Killer set. Where are you guys playing next?" I did not tell him.

Well, because it was a festival, which is usually a "festive" occassion, one where folks chat among themselves in a conversational tone. We weren't being boorish. The dude needed to relax. Were you, by chance, sitting in a white folding chair on the hill wearing a fetching "down under" type hat? If you were, mea culpa. I'll try to have less fun next time.

No, you obviously WERE being boorish, rude, intrusive, and by your post here a lot worse names I could come up with. And that "dude" didn't need to relax. You obviously needed to shut the f up. It wasn't me on the hill, I had to ask two guys in front of me on the field to turn down the volume of their conversation. Which got them to shut the f up.

My Further Thoughts

• Joes Field should be used during the day, it is much better than Courtyard D
  • The water (boxed or otherwise) was warm on Friday night can we figure a way to get it cold
  • Crowds were fine saw very little crappy behavior
  • Wilcos request show was awesome, nice to see the band having fun!
  • Xu's Phoenix was amazing but we found the cigarette carpet just as amazing!
  • Mass MOCA rules, the place and people were awesome
  • Joe's other hose was great, didn't try Joe's hose.
  • The Loft exhibit was great
  •  

Love that collection.  You missed me!  I've got a photo of me in a shirt you don't already have in your collection, you can have it if you want (and no problem if you don't)

Thanks for the offer but I keep content on my site to just my stuff.

Post a photo, I am curious as the shirt design now.

the crowd was almost completely silent during Yo La Tengos set. Likewise the crowd around me during both wilco sets was super quiet. no problems with chatterboxes here!

ALso that record store was amazing..found some really rare records in seriously good condition for super cheap.

Totally agree. I've been to all 3 SS Fests and I've yet to stick it out to see anyone on that stage. It's too hot and I just can't seem to find a good spot to feel comfortable in. I was thinking that the museum should challenge some artists to create some kind of a shade sail or something to help out at least a little bit.

i agree for comfort,  but the cover needs to be at the top of the structures. The court yard architecture and  feel is very inviting visually. i would sacrifice myself with the elements, then sacrifice the ambiance. They only have a hand full of shows there anyway. To scar that space with a low level tent or sail through out the weekend would be a sin.