But next time around I am hopping on that Holiday Inn right down the street from Mass Moca as soon as I can.

Good luck with that. We were able to stay there the first year and it was great to be able to walk to the museum, but no one I know has been able to get a room there since...even if you try to book before the dates are announced. I think that is now reserved for the bands, crew, etc.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also found it rude that people didn't pack up their blanket/chairs once the show started. We set up camp right before Neko started, but packed up when Wilco was about to go on. Lots of people did not.

I was really surprised by the sheer number of kids, part of me thinks this was due to the fact that kids were basically free and that there were lots of activities for them. I saw a lot of frustrated parents at the festival on Saturday due to how crowded it was.

Personally I would never bring a kid under the age of 6 to a concert like that. Lots of drug use, drunks, and uncomfortable heat just makes it a no way for me.

Sunday was a much better day for kids due to the crowds,but I think there was less kids stuff to do.

I think that perhaps there should be a little announcement pre-set "suggesting" that people to pack up their little set-ups, ie chairs and especially blankets, if they are situated, say, anywhere from the soundboard up to front of stage. Just for the sake of everyone involved...Yes, people that suddenly make a push for the front can be a little annoying, but hey, this is a general admission rock show. That's what happens. More annoying are the huge blankets that take up so much valuable space. Again - this isn't a bluegrass fest- this is a rock show...

People talking too much? i can't even begin to discuss right now. One guy next to me was essentially yelling a story to his friend during "One Sunday Morning." yes, during ONE SUNDAY MORNING. I start to really get bummed out. I just leaned forward and sort of stared at him, until i think he was like "hey, why is this guy totally staring at me and into my conversation?...wait....ohhhhhhh..." WTF. I know if i open my mouth, i will literally get to aggro and might go over the top (with words, i mean), so i now employ this stare method. Sometimes it works.

Did anyone catch any of the stand up? We Didn't see any of it. We did see the yo la Tengo scored documentary...which I Unfortunatly fell asleep too.

We had woken up at 3:30am the night before..so it was almost impossible for me to keep my eyes open

Damn!  i would have love to have your seat for that YLT film. By the time i got to the Hunter center from Joe's field it was full.

As for comedy, we saw Al Madrigal during his morning set, and got a great seat around the third row directly behind the eleven year old kid in the audience, Ronan and his mom Patty.  Who were the focus of Al's routine.

I missed SS comedy in 2011, but saw Kristen Schaal the first year. And with Al's great set this year i will make it a point to not miss a comedy set again.

the link below is a mp3 file from sendspace of Al's Saturday morning set that i recorded for those that want to hear some funny shit! It's nice because as close i was to the kid and his mom you can hear all the off mic stuff they replied to the comics clearly. 

I got Patty to send me her email so i could send her a copy of the file, as i'm sure it was a highlight for their whole family during Solid Sound. I'm sure Ronan will cherish hearing this show again as he gets older.

enjoy!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0390fl

I was one of the people talking during the Saturday evening set.  Someone asked me to please take the conversation away from the music.  At first my friend and I were pissed...Then we realized he was right.  There's no need to carry a conversation during the show - you have all day to do that.

On a different note, we were standing in the back before the Nels show.  We were told we needed to sit.  We pointed to the baby in the stroller and the staff said "um, ok.  I guess you're fine".  Then all the seats filled...then the staff came back and said that we needed to sit (there were no seats!) and it "wasn't really a good set for kids".  After such a great weekend in every way, that was a little slice of awful customer service and unacceptable attitude on the part of the staff.

The Fire Marshall was on site during the Nels show, so the staff was definitely stressed out. I couldn't get in the room to simply take a few photos, in and out of the room in a minute or so. That was frustrating but what can you do?

they wouldn't even let me go out to inject insulin!  had to do it in the back of the dark theater.  worst experience ever!

I caught most of the you Tengo film, just started nodding off at the end, my wife loved it though, she said that there were a lot of people sleeping. Yo la Tengo was basically playing a lullabye

Could you describe it some more? I was up front for Wilco and wasn't able to make it into the Hunter Center (over capacity)

it was pretty cool...i had front seats as i missed the 2nd encore from Wilco. they had the director do a live narration to the movie, and YLT played a live soundtrack to it. nothing amazing, but certainly worth experiencing once.

a friend of mine (Jon) had saved a few seats up front and is good friends w/ YLT. one of my other friends sitting next to him was sleeping before YLT took the stage (late from playing Roadrunner), and had his head slumped against Jon's shoulder.

after the show, my friend is talking w/ James and the first thing James said was that they came out on stage and noticed my friend fast asleep on Jon's shoulder. that was good ammo for the rest of the weekend.

one of my other friends sitting next to him was sleeping before YLT took the stage (late from playing Roadrunner), and had his head slumped against Jon's shoulder.

Complaints about inconsiderate people talking during the gig, chairs and blankets in Joe's field, etc. To me, if in fact there were a bunch of people sleeping at this gig that takes the cake! I mean, if you were tired why not just go back to your room shower and crash? Leave the spot for someone that really cared about seeing the show. Or if you did care about seeing the show but were to tired to stay focused in a dark room. Be nice and offer it to someone in the lobby that were hoping to get in.

Sleeping in the first few rows where the band could see is the most disrespectful thing i could imagine for a band to see or even to sit by as a fan. 

Personally i thought it was a not a good move for Solid Sound to book a midnight showing of this film. Considering most of us did rise early or had a day of travel. Saturday or Sunday morning would have been perfect.

This might be the wrong place to ask this.. but has anyone ripped the stream of saturday night off the website?  I would love to get my hands on audio that quality.

+1 on that, been listening to the stream at work, sounds great.

I chatted with the guy with the rig on the field, about 15-20 feet in front of the soundboard.  He recorded both Wilco sets and said it would be a couple of weeks before his friend gets the recordings up.

Complaints about inconsiderate people talking during the gig, chairs and blankets in Joe's field, etc. To me, if in fact there were a bunch of people sleeping at this gig that takes the cake! I mean, if you were tired why not just go back to your room shower and crash? Leave the spot for someone that really cared about seeing the show. Or if you did care about seeing the show but were to tired to stay focused in a dark room. Be nice and offer it to someone in the lobby that were hoping to get in.

Sleeping in the first few rows where the band could see is the most disrespectful thing i could imagine for a band to see or even to sit by as a fan. 

Personally i thought it was a not a good move for Solid Sound to book a midnight showing of this film. Considering most of us did rise early or had a day of travel. Saturday or Sunday morning would have been perfect.

he was in our car so the walk back to the hotel room wasn't an option. relax, i am sure he wasn't the only napper. 

in terms of inconsiderate behavior from a fan's perspective, talking >>>>> napping. unless snoring is involved.

the last show i fell asleep to was Sunn O))) last summer, for a bit. it started at midnight, was unbearably hot, and the massive, thick clouds of detuned/downtempo guitar distortion was a beautiful lullaby.

It didn't help that show started really late...due to yo la Tengo playing roadrunner on stage at the wilco set. i missed the 2nd encore to get a seat. And to be honest. i wish i hadnt left, as seeing them play roadrunner would have been much more exciting.

The music was really slow and soothing, and the narrators voice was really monotone, along with a film that was in black and white and a tad blurry. It was defiantly a bad idea to have this on Friday night after a long day of travel, drinking, and just overall exhaustion. It would have fit perfectly on Sunday morning instead.

Like I said, lots of people were sleeping according to my wife (including the person next to her that had traveled from Denmark!). I only nodded off for about 10 mins..but the whole show is kinda of blurry as I was definitely in a daze!

I really meant no disrespect as I love Yo La Tengo. And I was right up front for their actual set on Saturday which was probably my favorite set of the fest

This was my first Solid Sound but hopefully not my last!  Thoughts and reflections:

• Mass MoCA:  My brother-in-law came along for Friday's festivities and I was on my own Saturday and Sunday.  What a treasure of a facility they have there at Mass MoCA!  I'm originally from Pittsburgh and have seen a lot of these old mills that are converted for modern usage, but none nearly as beautiful or functional as that one.  The contrast of the industrial with artistic creativity is perfection.  I can't think of anyone (art lover or not) who would not find the Phoenixes impressive.  And of course my inner Wilco geek loved stalking the Nudie suits and guitars in the Loft exhibit.
  • Friday: White Denim kicked off Friday with high energy.  Had not seen them before and thought they were great. The Relatives were my kind of old-school soul band, but with a funky edge.  The guitarist added a modern touch to classic soul and the vocals got the crowd really rocking.  Count me among those who loved loved loved the all-covers Wilco set.  My brother-in-law was kind of disappointed not to hear more Wilco tunes, since it's the only time he'll see them this year, but I've seen them live enough and have listened to enough live recordings on repeat that I would rather hear them do something I have never heard before than hear Jesus etc. again (not that I don't love to hear it each and every time).  This is the nature of an experiment: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but there's no other way to find out if something new works or not, except to try it.  Sonic adventurism and willingness to take musical risks are big reasons why i grew to love Wilco in the first place, and I welcome the results, whether it's a home run or a swing and a miss.  They didn't play my Replacements request, but "Color Me Impressed" with Tommy Stinson was so much fun, I cannot complain.  Obsessed with the Daft Punk cover. Thought it was great that John got to do some of the lead vocals.  Overall, I feel confident in saying I'll listen to the whole show until it is burned into my brain, note for note.
  • Saturday: Mark Mulcahy's set was weird and wonderful, and also liked the strong guitar work and vocals of Sean Rowe (plus, he played my favorite Richard Thompson song.)  Saw about 3/4 of the strange Foxygen set, and they were clearly feeling no pain.  I was sympathetic to the security guy, especially after there have been a couple of stage collapses in the past couple of years that have killed people.  Party if you like, Foxygen guys, but don't endanger innocent bystanders.  Skipped Low because I had just seen them recently and was up front for Neko Case, who just about put me to sleep, though I have liked her recordings before and she had the awesome Kelly Hogan singing backup. Had a great time at the Saturday Wilco show, but was behind a family with 3 kids right up front who were so bored silly that they all were trying to sleep through the show. In lawn chairs. About 5 standing rows back. Sigh. Was shocked that 3/4 of the way through there were no YHF tunes, but that said the song selections were top-notch and the band seemed happy and loose.  Lots of Summerteeth and loved the high energy version of "Just a Kid".
  • Sunday: It was so freaking hot.  Tried to take it easy for the most part, but caught a little bit of just about everything.  Weirdly, I ended up sitting next to all the Blisters' moms during their set.  Thought they sounded really tight for young guys like that.  You can tell they have been playing together a long time. Really enjoyed Nels and Julian Lage, though it was jam-packed and some attendees seemed not to know what to do with this highly improvisational duo.  I've been kind of lukewarm on the Autumn Defense, but they sounded confident and strong with a good backing band -- and I am one of the oldies who knows all the words to "Sentimental Lady" thanks to a mixtape someone made me in college.  Could not get into the Radiolab/On Fillmore performance, and was not a fan of Os Mutantes.  Luckily, I made my way over to the other courtyard to hear a fantastic set by Marc Ribot and David Hidalgo. They picked some killer off-kilter tunes that fit their group name "Border Music".  Great songs and Ribot's guitar work is really something to see.  Left at the very end of MMW, so I missed "The Thanks I Get", which is just the thanks I get for bugging out early :(
  • They didn't play my Replacements request, but "Color Me Impressed" with Tommy Stinson was so much fun, I cannot complain.
  • Saturday: Mark Mulcahy's set was weird and wonderful, and also liked the strong guitar work and vocals of Sean Rowe (plus, he played my favorite Richard Thompson song.)

Which Replacements song did you request?  What Richard Thompson song did he cover?

This was my first Solid Sound but hopefully not my last!  Thoughts and reflections:

• Mass MoCA:  My brother-in-law came along for Friday's festivities and I was on my own Saturday and Sunday.  What a treasure of a facility they have there at Mass MoCA!  I'm originally from Pittsburgh and have seen a lot of these old mills that are converted for modern usage, but none nearly as beautiful or functional as that one.  The contrast of the industrial with artistic creativity is perfection.  I can't think of anyone (art lover or not) who would not find the Phoenixes impressive.  And of course my inner Wilco geek loved stalking the Nudie suits and guitars in the Loft exhibit.
  • Friday: White Denim kicked off Friday with high energy.  Had not seen them before and thought they were great. The Relatives were my kind of old-school soul band, but with a funky edge.  The guitarist added a modern touch to classic soul and the vocals got the crowd really rocking.  Count me among those who loved loved loved the all-covers Wilco set.  My brother-in-law was kind of disappointed not to hear more Wilco tunes, since it's the only time he'll see them this year, but I've seen them live enough and have listened to enough live recordings on repeat that I would rather hear them do something I have never heard before than hear Jesus etc. again (not that I don't love to hear it each and every time).  This is the nature of an experiment: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but there's no other way to find out if something new works or not, except to try it.  Sonic adventurism and willingness to take musical risks are big reasons why i grew to love Wilco in the first place, and I welcome the results, whether it's a home run or a swing and a miss.  They didn't play my Replacements request, but "Color Me Impressed" with Tommy Stinson was so much fun, I cannot complain.  Obsessed with the Daft Punk cover. Thought it was great that John got to do some of the lead vocals.  Overall, I feel confident in saying I'll listen to the whole show until it is burned into my brain, note for note.
  • Saturday: Mark Mulcahy's set was weird and wonderful, and also liked the strong guitar work and vocals of Sean Rowe (plus, he played my favorite Richard Thompson song.)  Saw about 3/4 of the strange Foxygen set, and they were clearly feeling no pain.  I was sympathetic to the security guy, especially after there have been a couple of stage collapses in the past couple of years that have killed people.  Party if you like, Foxygen guys, but don't endanger innocent bystanders.  Skipped Low because I had just seen them recently and was up front for Neko Case, who just about put me to sleep, though I have liked her recordings before and she had the awesome Kelly Hogan singing backup. Had a great time at the Saturday Wilco show, but was behind a family with 3 kids right up front who were so bored silly that they all were trying to sleep through the show. In lawn chairs. About 5 standing rows back. Sigh. Was shocked that 3/4 of the way through there were no YHF tunes, but that said the song selections were top-notch and the band seemed happy and loose.  Lots of Summerteeth and loved the high energy version of "Just a Kid".
  • Sunday: It was so freaking hot.  Tried to take it easy for the most part, but caught a little bit of just about everything.  Weirdly, I ended up sitting next to all the Blisters' moms during their set.  Thought they sounded really tight for young guys like that.  You can tell they have been playing together a long time. Really enjoyed Nels and Julian Lage, though it was jam-packed and some attendees seemed not to know what to do with this highly improvisational duo.  I've been kind of lukewarm on the Autumn Defense, but they sounded confident and strong with a good backing band -- and I am one of the oldies who knows all the words to "Sentimental Lady" thanks to a mixtape someone made me in college.  Could not get into the Radiolab/On Fillmore performance, and was not a fan of Os Mutantes.  Luckily, I made my way over to the other courtyard to hear a fantastic set by Marc Ribot and David Hidalgo. They picked some killer off-kilter tunes that fit their group name "Border Music".  Great songs and Ribot's guitar work is really something to see.  Left at the very end of MMW, so I missed "The Thanks I Get", which is just the thanks I get for bugging out early :(

What Richard Thompson song did Mark Mulcahy play?

You're familiar with Sentimental Lady from a mix tape, try to get to listen to all of Bare Trees.  Pre-Buckingham and Nicks Fleetwood Mac, one of the big albums among my friends in jr. h.s. and h.s.  I've listened to it recently, still fantastic.

Which Replacements song did you request?  What Richard Thompson song did he cover?

"Alex Chilton" (which I still think would have been excellent, of course).  

What Richard Thompson song did Mark Mulcahy play?

You're familiar with Sentimental Lady from a mix tape, try to get to listen to all of Bare Trees.  Pre-Buckingham and Nicks Fleetwood Mac, one of the big albums among my friends in jr. h.s. and h.s.  I've listened to it recently, still fantastic.

Oh, sorry I was not clear.  It was Sean Rowe, not Mulcahy, and he finished with "1952 Vincent Black Lightning".  

.  That is a gorgeous bit of guitar work in that song, especially at the end there.  Looking forward to hearing Richard Thompson perform it at Americanarama.

I was introduced to early Fleetwood Mac by an old friend and particularly love "Do You Give a Damn For Me".  I will look for Bare Trees!  Thanks for the kind tip.

Monday ending up being a marathon day of eating and drinking, interrupted by geographical set changes (thunderstorms be damned! *shakes fist*) primarily involving airports, but I've finally made it back home.

It was great seeing so many dear friends over the weekend, and that alone makes SSF a success. There were a few other things that stood out to me:

* It was significantly more crowded, particularly on Saturday. Vendors (who've been at Solid Sound before) were running out of food before Wilco even took the stage on Saturday, and maneuvering through the grounds after about 2:00 was frustratingly difficult. I would rather pay an extra $50 for the three-day pass (early bird or otherwise) and have 1000 fewer people on the grounds.

* This year's installments were so cool. I loved the Phillips and Carrera "Humument"--incredible. And of course Xu Bing. The Loft exhibit was also a lot of fun. I'm glad I was able to look around early on Friday and had time to listen to all of the headphones.

* I loved the Radiolab segment. Live choreographed radio "stuff" (like a Prairie Home Companion) is a fun art to watch. Plus, baking on the pavement of Ctyd C made me empathize with the dinosaurs.

* Great food and beer choices. This isn't a make or break element of the fest, but it's really nice when they're so good.