Just got a message from the always amazing & informative Annick at Kung Fu Nation (who also spoke about the appearing & disappearing & then, happily, reappearing Soild Sound Shows that are now Roadcase #18 & #19!!) that they are still awaiting returns from the Solid Sound Fest, but...that that poster you're looking for ("Entering Solid Sound Est. 2010") is expected to be arriving & be available soon enough...they just don't know the quantity & quality (damaged or not) or what's coming in, but that she'd keep me updated, and I, in turn, on this thread, or via PM here, will keep you informed of the progress.

The posters are now available at Kung Fu Nation.  Thanks to linclink for the legwork!

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are your thoughts on Jon Hodgman? Yay or Nay? Personally I liked him at the show, although re-listening to this recording I can tell the jokes are going to get pretty stale.

I thought it was fun at the show. That was kinda the point, I don't think they were thinking about how it would sound on the tapes listened to a thousand times over. On that note, I wish they had tracked the Randomizer and Stump the Band Segments separately, rather than tacked onto the ends of prior songs. Ya know, in case one feels like deleting them to save room on an already maxed-out mp3 player. Good to have the whole thing for posterity though..

The Foxygen set was one of the most memorable of the event in my opinion. It was a train wreck in the best way possible. They brought a lot of novice energy to a festival filled with typically older artists. White denim was really great too. And Ira from yo la Tengo performed like he was still 22

I didn't think Jon Hodgman was bad... I think it was pretty bad they have announced that those who found the golden ticket could request a song in this show and changed it, calling people on stage who weren't the winners. Maybe would be more interesting if they used Jon Hodgman to make a joke with the winners and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I didn't think Jon Hodgman was bad... I think it was pretty bad they have announced that those who found the golden ticket could request a song in this show and changed it, calling people on stage who weren't the winners. Maybe would be more interesting if they used Jon Hodgman to make a joke with the winners and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I agree - I was disappointed that the golden ticket winners did not get to pick a song - that was part of the publicized deal, with free SS passes as well. Especially disappointed that it was a good chance to hear a not-often-played song, like Pieholden Suite. I think the band missed a good opportunity, and it could have brought some focus to Hodgman's "hosting".

I agree - I was disappointed that the golden ticket winners did not get to pick a song - that was part of the publicized deal, with free SS passes as well. Especially disappointed that it was a good chance to hear a not-often-played song, like Pieholden Suite. I think the band missed a good opportunity, and it could have brought some focus to Hodgman's "hosting".

I thought they brought the winner onstage and she had requested some overplayed YHF song, so they told her to request "Candyfloss" instead.  What's the real story?  Just listening to the tape, the whole exchange was very awkward.

On that note, I wish they had tracked the Randomizer and Stump the Band Segments separately, rather than tacked onto the ends of prior songs. Ya know, in case one feels like deleting them to save room on an already maxed-out mp3 player. Good to have the whole thing for posterity though..

That is the easiest thing to do with this free program http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I'm just glad they didn't edit anything. Use audacity if your feeling like deleting the stuff between songs for your ipod.

I thought they brought the winner onstage and she had requested some overplayed YHF song, so they told her to request "Candyfloss" instead.  What's the real story?  Just listening to the tape, the whole exchange was very awkward.

You are right - they brought one of the golden ticket winners out, and it (no, she) was a little awkward. I, maybe mistakenly, thought that they would have each of the golden ticket winners request a song, and not just one of them. That said, Candyfloss was great.

Here's the story. The winner, Gillian that went up on stage is a friend of mine. We also sat across the table from another winner for the Sat night dinner. He said that they decided not to bring all of the winners up on stage so they drew straws to see who would go up. Gillian won but she wasn't able to attend Friday night, so they brought her up on Saturday instead. I asked her what she was planning to request and since she's a casual fan (as I suppose most ticket winners would be, otherwise they'd have bought a ticket already, right?) anyway, since YHF is her favorite record, the songs that she mentioned were songs that they regularly play anyway. The band told her this as well and suggested she request Candyfloss. It was only awkward because she (again, casual fan. this is normal out in the real world, btw) wasn't familiar with Candyfloss and didn't know it wasn't on YHF until Jeff embarrassed her by pointing it out. She was just going along with what they asked her to do. 

Here's the story. The winner, Gillian that went up on stage is a friend of mine. We also sat across the table from another winner for the Sat night dinner. He said that they decided not to bring all of the winners up on stage so they drew straws to see who would go up. Gillian won but she wasn't able to attend Friday night, so they brought her up on Saturday instead. I asked her what she was planning to request and since she's a casual fan (as I suppose most ticket winners would be, otherwise they'd have bought a ticket already, right?) anyway, since YHF is her favorite record, the songs that she mentioned were songs that they regularly play anyway. The band told her this as well and suggested she request Candyfloss. It was only awkward because she (again, casual fan. this is normal out in the real world, btw) wasn't familiar with Candyfloss and didn't know it wasn't on YHF until Jeff embarrassed her by pointing it out. She was just going along with what they asked her to do. 

Hi - I was across from you at dinner. I think the band/ management forgot about the on stage request aspect. After hearing nothing and more nothing from them leading up to the show, I sent an email about 4 hours before the gates opened:

"Hey [taking out name]  We are on the way and are looking forward to the weekend.  Quick question-  do you have details on the following:
"and a chance to pick a song live onstage for Wilco to perform during the band’s all-request set on the festival’s opening night."

Do I get to make a request? If so, awesome, how does this go down?"

Coincidentally (I think not), about 60 minutes later the 5 ticket holders received an email saying that names were put in a hat, Gillian won, it would take place Saturday (not Friday), and he (person from TM Management) would be working on a prize for us because we were so lucky. Prize ended up being swag from the merch booth which was nice.

...so short story long, that is why we didn't witness Wilco play Pieholden!

Hi - I was across from you at dinner. I think the band/ management forgot about the on stage request aspect. After hearing nothing and more nothing from them leading up to the show, I sent an email about 4 hours before the gates opened:

"Hey [taking out name]  We are on the way and are looking forward to the weekend.  Quick question-  do you have details on the following:
"and a chance to pick a song live onstage for Wilco to perform during the band’s all-request set on the festival’s opening night."

Do I get to make a request? If so, awesome, how does this go down?"

Coincidentally (I think not), about 60 minutes later the 5 ticket holders received an email saying that names were put in a hat, Gillian won, it would take place Saturday (not Friday), and he (person from TM Management) would be working on a prize for us because we were so lucky. Prize ended up being swag from the merch booth which was nice.

Hey! That's you! It was really great meeting you at the dinner. We thought the whole thing was really nice especially the company of so many Wilco fans. We're still thinking of making a trip to Chicago for the Replacements show, so maybe we could meet for a drink if we have extra days. 

Also, your request would have been great!

Too bad.  Pieholden Suite would have fit beautifully into the Summerteeth-heavy set they played on Saturday.

The little marketing flourishes that were tossed in at the 11th hour (chocolate bar golden tickets and "Dinner w/Wilco") were fun ideas but it seems like they both fell a little flat.  I felt bad for the girl on stage (Gillian) -- we all know Jeff's reputation for social awkwardness, and he totally personified it during that segment.  I wasn't at the Saturday night dinner, and while most have said it was fun, it wasn't exactly what it was billed as.  Folks who attended reported that some band members didn't show up, and a high five from Jeff isn't really "dinner with."  Oh well.  Maybe a case of trying to add too many things that require interaction with fans!

kinda lame that they told the contest winner that her pick was "not good enough", I mean she WON the contest and then won by chance out of 5 people to request a song, doesn't she have the right to request the song she wanted? Instead she was booed on stage..when she didn't know the right album that the song she didn't even want to request was on.

I just think that's poor planning from Wilco's management. If she wanted them to play Jesus Etc...then they should have played it. It's even a little more upsetting considering they only played 1 or 2 songs from Yankee Hotel in the first place..so they couldn't have just picked another song off the only album she probably knew?

I wanted to add that the "randomizer" on Wilco's Firday night show seemed completely staged as well...Yo La Tengo just happens to be hanging out? The only part of the show that felt random is when they picked three people from the crowd (why couldnt these people have been the contest winners?)

Although Daft Punk seemed to be awfully well rehearsed as well.

It's not a big deal, but if you are going to promote a show like this, then stay true to your word, don't try and "fabricate" your promises.

I wanted to add that the "randomizer" on Wilco's Firday night show seemed completely staged as well...Yo La Tengo just happens to be hanging out?

Of course it was fabricated.  I think that was part of the joke.  John Hodgman even made a joking reference when he said he was getting letters from the crowd questioning the randomness of the randomizer. It was all tongue and cheek.

kinda lame that they told the contest winner that her pick was "not good enough", I mean she WON the contest and then won by chance out of 5 people to request a song, doesn't she have the right to request the song she wanted? Instead she was booed on stage..when she didn't know the right album that the song she didn't even want to request was on.

I just think that's poor planning from Wilco's management. If she wanted them to play Jesus Etc...then they should have played it. It's even a little more upsetting considering they only played 1 or 2 songs from Yankee Hotel in the first place..so they couldn't have just picked another song off the only album she probably knew?

Even if she requested "Paint it Black"

346nyuo.gif

Of course it was fabricated.  I think that was part of the joke.  John Hodgman even made a joking reference when he said he was getting letters from the crowd questioning the randomness of the randomizer. It was all tongue and cheek.

i think the gag translated better to those of us close to the stage. You could tell it was part of the gag and there was nothing random about the picking of songs. From my spot i could see him pull the ball out of his pocket before he went to the bingo machine. Also it didn't look like anything was written on the supposed song list paper he fumbled with . 

I can see how those further back could become disconnected with the bit.  But it was funny and different from anything i have ever seen during a rock show. I was just fortunate enough to have has a nice vantage point of the stage to enjoy the stage antics.

Actually Jeff said that she requested song(s) off YHF that "we were already going to play," so she must have requested HMD/Man Who Loves You. Nothing about her pick not being good enough.

Actually Jeff said that she requested song(s) off YHF that "we were already going to play," so she must have requested HMD/Man Who Loves You. Nothing about her pick not being good enough.

Ok fine, then play another song off of YHF. I wonder where candy floss came from. If I had known they weren't going to play a single track from AGIB I would have requested Spiders

• 3 weeks later...