Solid Sound '13 Performers?

BTW I'm all good if there is no Tweedy solo set. Two full Wilco shows, & Yo La Tengo playing a regular show plus doing the live soundtrack...sheesh, there's not a whole lot more I could have dreamed of.
And...I am going to the two solo shows at the Vic Theater in March this year as well (my first solo Tweedy shows)...
Now onto Solid Sound 2013 homework...inspired by a fellow poster here, & one of my campsite mates for this year's fest, 'ole Johnny Yuma turned me on to the title track today & wisely recommended checking into the whole album "We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic"- Foxygen

If you haven't yet, check out Foxygen...album sounds great & it looks like these guys will be great fun live too...
it's also up on Spotify as well (along with their previous full length album)...
The opening track, & the title track (#8) are my faves, so far...
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0xvmB2jBcs"

1. In the Darkness - 0:00

2. No Destruction - 2:00

3. On Blue Mountain - 6:54

4. San Francisco - 12:43

5. Bowling Trophies - 16:31

6. Shuggie - 18:18

7. Oh Yeah - 21:39

8. We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic - 26:55

9. Oh No 2 - 31:23

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Last year that had Lagunitas. The food has been really good. The first year I loved the Banh Mi but they weren't there the second time. There is a Samosa guy, there was a guy with a fried oyster and crawfish truck, plenty of vegetarian options, greek food, etc. Generally good eats. Oh and GREAT coffee and the best for me were the Bloody Marys in the morning! 

Both years the food and beer choices and prices have been great, IMO.  I'm not a beer snob so was happy with $4 Budweiser drafts.  Food seemed more plentiful the first year, somehow.  I think there were more food trucks year one.  Also, as some have mentioned, the porto-potties the second year were moved way back from the field, so it was quite a hike to make it there and back, and the ankle deep mud didn't help!  But the festival on the whole as good as it gets, hands down.

Both years the food and beer choices and prices have been great, IMO. I'm not a beer snob so was happy with $4 Budweiser drafts. Food seemed more plentiful the first year, somehow. I think there were more food trucks year one. Also, as some have mentioned, the porto-potties the second year were moved way back from the field, so it was quite a hike to make it there and back, and the ankle deep mud didn't help! But the festival on the whole as good as it gets, hands down.

Speaking of the porta-potties, I've been meaning to ask any of you previous attendees about the cleanliness of the toilet facilities. We'll have our 4yr old daughters with us, and for obvious reasons I'm hoping things aren't too gross. Any advice/warnings?

Speaking of the porta-potties, I've been meaning to ask any of you previous attendees about the cleanliness of the toilet facilities. We'll have our 4yr old daughters with us, and for obvious reasons I'm hoping things aren't too gross. Any advice/warnings?

I was happy to see in previous years that the porta potties were plentiful and cleaned every night.  It's tough when it rains, but there are indoor bathrooms in the basement under the lobby, not far at all from any of the action.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah I read that too. I really hope they don't cancel their US dates as well. I was really looking forward to seeing them.

Apprantly that had an on-stage meltdown at SXSW...condisering how young they are, the amount they are touring, and how quickly they became popular, I bet it's pretty overwhelming.

Still, pretty sure it's my favorite new album so far this year.

Seems like Foxygen are still playing their US dates, so perhaps they were just too tired to trek through Europe at this point? I just saw them, but was looking forward to doing so again at Solid Sound, so hopefully they'll remain on the bill.

Two other random Solid Sound thoughts I had recently were that a) it seems like they really made a concerted effort not to book acts that have played previous Solid Sounds. I guess maybe they'll eventually have to stop doing that, but maybe not? For instance, the Handsome Family are literally going to be in Massachusetts the first day of this year's fest and I'd have loved to see them again (actually I missed their set in 2011, so to me it feels like they weren't even there); and b ) I wonder if there's any chance of Beth Orton (a/k/a Mrs. Sam Amidon) playing with him during his set, or if there was any attempt to get her for the fest, because she is cool. Maybe she was too expensive...

and b ) I wonder if there's any chance of Beth Orton (a/k/a Mrs. Sam Amidon) playing with him during his set, or if there was any attempt to get her for the fest, because she is cool. Maybe she was too expensive...

I having been thinking about Beth Orton too and hoping she makes an appearance. 

Seems like Foxygen are still playing their US dates, so perhaps they were just too tired to trek through Europe at this point? I just saw them, but was looking forward to doing so again at Solid Sound, so hopefully they'll remain on the bill.

Two other random Solid Sound thoughts I had recently were that a) it seems like they really made a concerted effort not to book acts that have played previous Solid Sounds. I guess maybe they'll eventually have to stop doing that, but maybe not? For instance, the Handsome Family are literally going to be in Massachusetts the first day of this year's fest and I'd have loved to see them again (actually I missed their set in 2011, so to me it feels like they weren't even there); and b ) I wonder if there's any chance of Beth Orton (a/k/a Mrs. Sam Amidon) playing with him during his set, or if there was any attempt to get her for the fest, because she is cool. Maybe she was too expensive...

Foxygen are so musically derivative that I confidently predict their next album will feature twinky eyed folk song, whilst dressed in tweeds, with posh boy accents  :twitchsmile 

Personally I hope Beth Orton doesn't turn up because her music is boring beyond belief and she still owes me a merchandise fee from 2007.  However this could provide more time at the beer tent.  Hmmmmm....

err?  I haven't ever heard a bad note from Beth Orton; and she dosen't owe me a dime.

Oh, I wouldn't take Sir Queenie's comments too much to heart. He just always seems to have some difficulties with the folkstresses.... :headbonk  ;)