Wilco and John Prine in Nelsonville, OH

WOW!! So apparently Wilco WILL be playing somewhere else in the U.S. besides Solid Sound in 2013...
Thursday May 30th- Sunday June 2nd at The Nelsonville Music Festival in Nelsonville, Ohio. And John Prine, who I love & have never seen, is another headliner.
It's 425-450 miles one way from Rochester, NY & a good hour beyond Columbus (where I saw the tour closer this last year)...so that's around 7 hours one way, but could be done in 6 I'm pretty sure.
I'll have to see how many shows they are doing in North America & where...and when John Prine is playing in relation to them, before I commit to anything this long...wonder what the full line-up is? But if it ends up just this & Solid Sound on the east coast...well then, count me in...
http://woub.org/2012/12/02/2013-nelsonville-music-fest-headliners-announced

That's an excellent venue. My Dad and I saw Richie Havens (sadly Albert Brooks was not the opening act) there a few years back. It's right out side of Athens where the University of Ohio is, which is a great little college town. May be driving down for that this year. 

--Mike

Press release states that Wilco is headlining on Saturday (June 1) and John Prine will close things out on Sunday (June 2.)

Looks like Reigning Sound, Cotton Jones and Wooden Indian Burial Ground are also confirmed.

http://www.donewaiting.com/2012/12/03/wilco-headling-2013-nelsonville-music-festival/

Reigning Sound too? I am totally in.

the great thing about Nelsonville is that it's surrounded by some amazing natural beauty (Hocking Hills).  If you're into outdoors stuff you'd love it.  I'd like to rent a cabin for the weekend but the cabins are a little remote compared to where the venue is.  I haven't checked out the campgrounds. I'd recommend staying in Athens if you do go.  I went to the Athens show in 2009 -- had a blast. 

I'm on the fence. It's 3.5 hours for me on the Erie shore, west of CLE.

• 2 months later...

Sharon Van Etten, Calexico, Jonathan Richman and--most importantly--Mavis Staples added to the lineup.

And Michael Hurley too!!!

This is tough...since I'm going to the shows at the Vic, I was less likely to do this...but, ouch, this line-up (with more artists to be announced) is getting more & more substantial...

It will depend on two things...

1) If I can find out if Wilco is playing a full set (27 songs/ 150 min.) or a truncated "festival set" (18 songs/ 90 min.)

2) Who is playing when? I can't do the whole 4 days I think it is...Wilco is on Saturday...so I could do either Fri. & Sat., or Sat. & Sun.

But honestly with the new album coming out & tour dates a-plenty on the east coast before year's end I'm sure, & how long a drive this is for me (just a bit over the 7 hour limit I tend to set)...the pot will have to sweeten considerably, with a guaranteed full Wilco show for me to consider this seriously at this point (do have friends in the area I'd love to see though)

And Michael Hurley too!!!

This is tough...since I'm going to the shows at the Vic, I was less likely to do this...but, ouch, this line-up (with more artists to be announced) is getting more & more substantial...

It will depend on two things...

1) If I can find out if Wilco is playing a full set (27 songs/ 150 min.) or a truncated "festival set" (18 songs/ 90 min.)

2) Who is playing when? I can't do the whole 4 days I think it is...Wilco is on Saturday...so I could do either Fri. & Sat., or Sat. & Sun.

But honestly with the new album coming out & tour dates a-plenty on the east coast before year's end I'm sure, & how long a drive this is for me (just a bit over the 7 hour limit I tend to set)...the pot will have to sweeten considerably, with a guaranteed full Wilco show for me to consider this seriously at this point (do have friends in the area I'd love to see though)

Well for what it's worth Wilco have been given 2 & 1/2 hours for their headlining set on Saturday & while the schedule isn't out yet, Mavis Staples will play right before Wilco on Saturday...and both John Prine & Jonathan Richman are playing on Sunday...this is a tough one...

• 2 months later...

Well for what it's worth Wilco have been given 2 & 1/2 hours for their headlining set on Saturday & while the schedule isn't out yet, Mavis Staples will play right before Wilco on Saturday...and both John Prine & Jonathan Richman are playing on Sunday...this is a tough one...

tough no more...I got my tickets today!!

Anyone else going?

Most recent details about the schedule...Wilco has been allotted up to 150 minutes (2 & 1/2 hours) for their closing set on Saturday night. Mavis Staples plays right before them...so I'm hoping that Jeff might join her for something & she might join them for something...and Michael Hurley on all 4 days!! Wa-Hoo Hurley- that is truly great news!

2013 Day Schedule

THURSDAY, MAY 30
Gogol Bordello
Michael Hurley
Old Light
Screaming Females
Wild Belle

FRIDAY, MAY 31
Cat Power
The Coup
Reigning Sound
Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer
He's My Brother, She's My Sister
Michael Hurley
Old Light

SATURDAY, JUNE 1
Wilco
Mavis Staples
Sharon Van Etten
Calexico
Lucius
Michael Hurley

SUNDAY, JUNE 2

John Prine
Jonathan Richman
Brown Bird
David Wax Museum
Michael Hurley

DAY TBA

Tift Merritt
Shilpa Ray
The Honeycutters
William Tyler
Cathering MacLellan
Wussy
The Sundresses
Wheels On Fire
Todd Burge
J.D. Hutchison
Jerry David DeCicca
Olentangy John
Cotton Jones
County Pharaohs
Endless Boogie
Field Report
Nick Tolford & Company
The D-Rays
Unmonumental
J.J. Reed
Weedghost

anyone know what time Wilco will go on...there is no schedule like they usually do for festivals...only the list.

I have slim chance of going if they start late enough?

I just called the enthusiastic & helpful Emily at the Nelsonville Fest & she let me know that Wilco will be going on plenty late on Saturday...they are scheduled, if everything runs on time, to start at 10:00 p.m., and they are allowed to play as long as they want to.

So I really hope that works out for you & is some good news!! Hope to be enjoying Wilco with you that night- good luck with your schedule working out for it!

• 3 weeks later...

The full schedule is now up!! Wa-Hoo!!
http://nelsonvillefest.org/2013-schedule.html
I've got to balance seeing as much of the festival as I can with seeing my Pappy in Chillicothe...
I'm hoping to catch Michael Hurley at least twice (guessing Friday & Sunday)... Thursday seems the least interesting...Friday I'm also hoping to catch the aforementioned Michael Hurley along with Lee Fields & The Expressions & Catpower...Saturday is the Bomb! Jonathan Richman, Calexico, Mavis Staples & of course, WILCO!! A straight run at the Main Stage from 4:00 until after midnight...amazing...and then Sunday Michael Hurley again & John Prine...
If anyone has any other advice about which of these acts that I might not have heard of, feel free to chime in & illuminate me...

Saturday is the Bomb! Jonathan Richman, Calexico, Mavis Staples & of course, WILCO!! A straight run at the Main Stage from 4:00 until after midnight...

I sure wish they would post that set time lasting until after midnight.  I'm looking at a 231 mile trip each way and still skeptical, I guess the weather will be my final determining factor, right now the 10 day forcast shows a zero % chance of raing and 89 degrees.

I sure wish they would post that set time lasting until after midnight.  I'm looking at a 231 mile trip each way and still skeptical, I guess the weather will be my final determining factor, right now the 10 day forcast shows a zero % chance of raing and 89 degrees.

Call them!! They are very nice...They'll tell you that Wilco is being given as long as they want for Saturday night & they are expected to play 2 & 1/4 to 2 & 1/2 hours...I've spoken to folks there twice about this issue...If you look at the schedule there is another band, at the "Porch Stage" that isn't even going on until 11:30! I'm sure Wilco will be playing past midnight...hope to see you there ;)

I'm about 460 miles one way, with a round tripper of 110 miles a day to see both my dad & the fest...

If it was a 90 min. set I probably wouldn't be taking the bait...but for a full headlining set & all the other great acts, and dad, it works for me.