Tweedy On Colbert Report - Dec. 13th

This should be great!

Also, for anyone who didn't see it, Stephen Colbert performing Love is Like a Butterfly with Dolly Parton last week

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/421558/november-27-2012/dolly-parton

was one of the sweetest, most earnest moments I've seen on TV recently. Both of them were excellent!

I'm having a little trouble visualizing (audiolizing?) the Stipe selection on Wed.  :uhoh

I still can't believe this news that Michael Stipe the reluctant singer is going to be singing again, this really caught me by surprise, I look forward to it.

Also, for anyone who didn't see it, Stephen Colbert performing Love is Like a Butterfly with Dolly Parton last week

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/421558/november-27-2012/dolly-parton

was one of the sweetest, most earnest moments I've seen on TV recently. Both of them were excellent!

It was, but I keep hoping at some point that Dolly will stop looking exactly the same as she did 30 or 40 years ago. It is kind of weird.

LouieB

It was, but I keep hoping at some point that Dolly will stop looking exactly the same as she did 30 or 40 years ago. It is kind of weird.

LouieB

Oh, she looks like a Barbie Doll for sure, and especially those lips--they look like they were surgically implanted on her face. But for whatever reason she feels she must continue to look like that, she's done a better job of it than many, and at least she's real about being unreal!

I just thought the interaction between them was priceless--both the interview segment and the "outtakes" leading into the song. But the song itself--Wow! Stephen does a wonderful job with harmony vocals. I expect he'll take an active role in all these duets coming up next week,too. He is not the shy, retiring sort.

Everything about Dolly is so hyper-sincere, which almost makes me love her all the more for all the effort she puts into looking so fake.

Stephen, on the other hand, is all about the fake, which makes it so touching when he's sincerely appreciative of his guests.  The song with Dolly was priceless, and I'm loving Hobbit week.

I think the musical spots next week will be gems, for sure.

You gotta figure that Dolly gets the best work done, so no tacky Hollywood plastic surgery.  The joke that she always uses it that it "costs alot to look this cheap" is certainly true.  But she sounds great, compared to alot of her contemporaries, even the stellar Emmylou, who can no longer hit the high notes. 

Colbert is fake, because he plays a character and does it so well that on the nights like the one we are discussing it is slightly incongruous to see him actually break the character.  He is a pretty good singer actually.

LouieB

I know Jeff Tweedy has been one of the special guests at Yo La Tengo's annual 8 night Hanukkah run at Maxwell's in Hoboken, N.J.. I know Nels Cline & Mikael Jorgensen have been as well...anyone else know of any other Wilco members who have sat in?
I'm just sayin'...Jeff in NYC on Weds. for The Colbert Report...wonder how many days he's in town...because...the Hanukkah shows this year run from Dec. 8th- Dec. 15th.
I'd lay good odds that there's a strong possibility of Jeff doing either Weds. Dec. 12th, or Thurs. Dec. 13th with Yo La Tengo. I know they have the gig in Colorado on Dec. 15th, but...
If I knew for sure that he was gonna be there, and playing solo acoustic...I'd be down there & going in a heartbeat!!
These shows are always great...I went to one last year myself (the Christmas Eve show on Dec. 24th), & if I was in the NYCish area, I'd certainly take a chance & try to go, just in case...at the very least you'll end up seeing an incredible Yo La Tengo show!!!
Last one I'm aware of was Dec. 3rd, 2010 with an acoustic set that looks like he was the opening act that night...9 acoustic songs & then he joined Yo La Tengo for "Jesus Etc." & "Eight Day Weekend".
Here's Jeff's setlist from that night...the whole acoustic show & both songs with Yo La Tengo are up on youtube in quite good quality.
01 Spiders (Kidsmoke)
02 [banter1]
03 I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
04 Via Chicago
05 Gun
06 Be Not So Fearful [bill Fay]
07 One Wing
08 [banter2]
09 The Ruling Class
10 Sometimes It Happens [brian Patten]
11 Shot In The Arm

This should be great!

I saw that too and thought it was just so sweet and lovely.  Dolly was so kind, when she kidded him that he was scared while they were rehearsing.

Doesn't the announcement say he's on Colbert on Friday?  Wednesday?  I'm confused.

I know Jeff Tweedy has been one of the special guests at Yo La Tengo's annual 8 night Hanukkah run at Maxwell's in Hoboken, N.J.. I know Nels Cline & Mikael Jorgensen have been as well...anyone else know of any other Wilco members who have sat in?

I'm just sayin'...Jeff in NYC on Weds. for The Colbert Report...wonder how many days he's in town...

"Merry Xmas" with Sean Lennon is cool and all (I saw him do it with Nels at the Flaming Lips NYE show last year), but I was kinda hoping they'd do Mavis' "Christmas Vacation" song.  Jeff would have rocked those hip hip hoorays.

If any YouTube appears would appreciate a link (none in a search I did right now). The online Colbert videos are not availabubble outside the US.

'Some people' on this board have said that I could pass for Colbert. I am not entirely sure that is a good thing.