General Political Thread

Well, thank the heavens above for that!

This got me thinking....I wonder how Noah accounted for the weight of the dinosaurs when building the ark. I mean, some of those suckers were enormous. Did he use extra pitch/tar or nails/pegs on certain areas to account for the additional weight? Also, did he use the sheer weight of his cargo as ballast? Was Noah a trained engineer? The mind boggles.

I don't think you're sincere.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thank the heavens above for that!

This got me thinking....I wonder how Noah accounted for the weight of the dinosaurs when building the ark. I mean, some of those suckers were enormous. Did he use extra pitch/tar or nails/pegs on certain areas to account for the additional weight? Also, did he use the sheer weight of his cargo as ballast? Was Noah a trained engineer? The mind boggles.

Used to listen to a really right wing preacher on the radio in college.  He accounted for the dinosaurs on the ark because they were baby dinos not full grown.  So you have that.  

There's another interesting thing about Noah I've been wondering about. I assume he had kangaroos, koalas, lemurs, etc., on the ark. But why did he ship them all back to Australia and Madagascar after the flood?

The actual story of Noah is just a few short chapters of Genesis. I guess it is good to re-read some of this stuff. I had totally forgotten that everyone lived a very long time back then, sometimes many hundreds of years. In Noah's case 900 total. So this begs a question. If the world is literally only 5000 so years old, wouldn't some of these guys still be alive?

I wish these guys would just take the book as allegory, etc. and stop trying to convince people that it is literal. I could actually get behind some of it. Or could I?

LouieB

For clarification, who are "these guys"?

These guys include the not only the wacky religious right, but even those less wacky religious types who believe everything in the Bible (Genesis to Revelations) is true. I have no issue with people who are deeply religious, but there is just no way it is ALL true. It is mostly stories, with a smidgen of history thrown in to keep it interesting.

Joel Osteen and people like him?

Sure. I don't know exactly what his theological take on the complete veracity of The Bible is. He may not believe that every sentence is true, but then again I have not watched his show that often or that long to know.

LouieB

I find it real interesting that it is the people on Right are so convinced that they their beliefs are the correct ones, even when presented with undeniable scientific proof.  

I say it even goes beyond the creationists and Noah believers.  Look at climate change deniers.  Look at those who keep trotting out the Obamacare "horror stories," and then later fall part under the modicome of scrutiney.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/02/25/morning-plum-obamacare-horror-stories-fall-apart-under-scrutiny/  But time and time again these stories are presented as fact and a reason against ACA.  

There are facts in this world, yes everyone chooses to ignore these facts or change them to fit their needs, but there are some that you cannot dispute.  It just seems that the Right disputes things that are so clearly undisputable.  Just is striking me as odd.   

I find it real interesting that it is the people on Right are so convinced that they their beliefs are the correct ones, even when presented with undeniable scientific proof.  

I say it even goes beyond the creationists and Noah believers.  Look at climate change deniers.  Look at those who keep trotting out the Obamacare "horror stories," and then later fall part under the modicome of scrutiney.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/02/25/morning-plum-obamacare-horror-stories-fall-apart-under-scrutiny/  But time and time again these stories are presented as fact and a reason against ACA.  

There are facts in this world, yes everyone chooses to ignore these facts or change them to fit their needs, but there are some that you cannot dispute.  It just seems that the Right disputes things that are so clearly undisputable.  Just is striking me as odd.   

I will grant that the right wing has been more guilty of this recently; but people of all political persuasions have always been more willing to accept information that fits with their existing worldview than those that contradict it.  That's an indisputable fact. 

I will grant that the right wing has been more guilty of this recently; but people of all political persuasions have always been more willing to accept information that fits with their existing worldview than those that contradict it. That's an indisputable fact.

I said as much in my post. But really has there been anything as brazen as the climate change deniers by the left?

But really has there been anything as brazen as the climate change deniers by the left?

Al Gore makes millions of dollars jetting around the world (on CO2-spewing aircraft) preaching about climate change while he racks up $2600/month energy bills at his home. I'd call that equally brazen.

Al Gore makes millions of dollars jetting around the world (on CO2-spewing aircraft) preaching about climate change while he racks up $2600/month energy bills at his home. I'd call that equally brazen.

Still, it doesnt change the fact that climate change deniers are loco.

And that is a brazen attempt to change the topic

Not unless the topic was "ridicule anyone who acts as if climate change is no big deal -- except for Al Gore."

Nice to see Hixler really trying to deflect the conversation rather than trying to come up with a substantive counter.  It seems to be the M.O. of those that lean to the right.   

You have climate change deniers.  These deniers are almost exclusively on the right.  They refuse to look at proven scientific evidence to suit their own political agenda or needs.  This is the same as those who refuse to believe in evolution.  Really shouldn't climate change deniers be put in the same camp as those who don't believe in evolution?  And yes they should be ridiculed, because they are equally was stupid as those that refuse to believe in evolution.  

Whether or not Al Gore is an energy-hogging hypocrite doesn't change the facts and data that support the climate change thesis he espouses. 

Well put.  

And that is a brazen attempt to change the topic

KevinG posed the following question:

"But really has there been anything as brazen as the climate change deniers by the left?"

and Hixter posted: 

"Al Gore makes millions of dollars jetting around the world (on CO2-spewing aircraft) preaching about climate change while he racks up $2600/month energy bills at his home. I'd call that equally brazen,"

which is a direct answer to the question "has there been anything as brazen..."

you may disagree with HIxter's opinion, but it's kind of ridiculous to state that he's attempting to change the topic when he provided a direct answer to the question posed by KevinG.  

Well when I read the original proposition I assume that he is talking about people ignoring the cold hard facts in front of them and instead relying on political opinion. Is there any arguments from the right that are based on fairly solid proven evidence that the left denies?

The al gore thing would fall under hypocrisy more than under this topic. His use of the word brazen does not make his claim fit the topic.

Well when I read the original proposition I assume that he is talking about people ignoring the cold hard facts in front of them and instead relying on political opinion. Is there any arguments from the right that are based on fairly solid proven evidence that the left denies?

The al gore thing would fall under hypocrisy more than under this topic. His use of the word brazen does not make his claim fit the topic.

Quite right, IMHO.  

It comes to cold hard facts, hypocrisy is one thing, which Al Gore shows in spades, as do many others.  Is it brazen, sure I guess, but more a deflection of the real question at hand.  In recent years when has the left completely ignored hard proof to further their political agenda?

Quite right, IMHO.  

It comes to cold hard facts, hypocrisy is one thing, which Al Gore shows in spades, as do many others.  Is it brazen, sure I guess, but more a deflection of the real question at hand.  In recent years when has the left completely ignored hard proof to further their political agenda?

Ok, for the record....I'm liberal. That being said, I think the Left completely ignored that fact that Obama hadnt any real experience in being a leader....we just got suckered by his eloquence and belief that real change was at hand.

Ok, for the record....I'm liberal. That being said, I think the Left completely ignored that fact that Obama hadnt any real experience in being a leader....we just got suckered by his eloquence and belief that real change was at hand.

I don't think we got suckered. I think we didn't expect a congress that would not work with him. granted, being a liberal too, there are a lot of things that haven't happened that he said would happen, but he has worked with the most stubborn, do-nothing congress that I have ever witnessed in my life. consider the alternative - McCain/Palin.

anyway, what does that have to do with people that dismiss climate change? it irritates the crap out of me when I have to convince someone that it exists. even my Republican step-father agrees that climate change has and is taking place.

really not sure if that is hard scientific proof, leadership experience are subjective.