Music to look forward to in 2013

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tomze.jpg?1353943294

Listening to this now -- streaming at YouTube. True, it's only 14 of the 16 songs on the album, but I just have to hear it! Not disappointing. It was released in Brazil back in September, but I will be waiting for this to come out in the US for a while longer. Hoping that a friend of mine in Brazil will be able to pick me up a copy and send it along soon.

Here is a taste over at YouTube:

Looks like Grant Hart may be coming out with a new one. Record time for him!

Just released this single a month or so ago and right there it says that it's from a "soon-to-be-released album."

YAY!!!

61Oj%2B3EiniL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is from Sarah Lee Guthrie's and Johnny Irion's website:

Produced by Jeff Tweedy and Pat Sansone of Wilco, Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion will release their third full-length studio album featuring a collection of original songs with Tweedy singing and playing on various tracks alongside the duo, as well as multi-instrumentalist Charlie Rose and drummer Otto Hauser (Vetiver). Tweedy enlisted Pat Sansone and engineer extraordinaire Tom Shick (Wilco, Mavis Staples, Yoko Ono) to co-produce the recording, which showcases Sarah Lee and Johnny embarking on a new sonic frontier. Whereas the last record, Bright Examples, highlighted the duo performing with a band and recorded live, the new album is more studio-based and stripped down. The album was recorded in Spring 2012 at theWilco Loft and is due out in 2013. Additional information will be available in the coming months

That particular album and the entire series will make my 2013... just as long as they also release the songs digitally after the limited edition vinyl sells out.

I hope they do make them available digitally.  Seems like they could benefit Slim a whole lot more after those limited editions sell out.  I really wish I could swing the money for the EP but I know it's gonna get expensive.  

I hope they do make them available digitally.  Seems like they could benefit Slim a whole lot more after those limited editions sell out.  I really wish I could swing the money for the EP but I know it's gonna get expensive.  

Good news on this front (via slicingupeyeballs.com):

The final tracklist for the The Replacements’ upcoming Songs for Slim benefit/reunion EP — featuring four songs recorded by Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson, plus a fifth by Chris Mars — was unveiled tonight on the project’s Facebook page amid reports that an auction for the 250 limited-edition singles could start next week.

As previously reported, the EP, which will be released by New West Records, features Westerberg and Stinson performing covers of former bandmate Slim Dunlap’s “Busted Up,” “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” from the Broadway hit “Gypsy,” Gordon Lightfoot’s “I’m Not Sayin’” and Hank Williams’ “Lost Highway.” There’s a fifth track, however, from ex-drummer Mars: a cover of Dunlap’s “Radio Hook Word Hit.” Mars also contributed the EP’s cover art.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, an eBay auction for the 250 copies of the limited-edition pressing — featuring “elaborate custom packaging” — could begin next as early as Tuesday. Proceeds will go toward helping pay for the heaping medical expenses of the Minneapolis-based Dunlap, who suffered a debilitating stroke last year.

But those not able to pony up for the high-dollar charity auction will still get a crack at the new ‘Mats recordings: The newspaper reports that, following the auction, “New West will then release the EP to radio outlets and digital service providers, and then print up standard vinyl editions for mass distribution.” The commercial release could come “within a month’s time.”

The “Songs for Slim” series will continue with a string of monthly split 7-inches by the likes of Steve Earle, Craig Finn, Lucinda Williams, The Jayhawks, The Minus 5 with Peter Buck, and more.

I know about supply and demand, but sometimes the demand is higher than the supply and not all the demand is met, creating an instant secondary market.  If artists pressed up larger amounts it would cut down on the secondary market and actually yeild more money for them.  Not to mention a happier fan base.

The current system is kind of out of wack.

Edit- Case in point, the new Peter Buck LP.  By the time I realized it was out and decided I wanted a copy (initially I figured I would let it go) it was gone.  Peter Buck is a fairly well known artist who could sell copies of his solo LP for months if not years.  LPs now sell for pretty good money.  I just don't get it. (and clearly didn't get it.)

double edit- Clearly the market for any sort of Replacements material, even somewhat lame cover tunes, is huge.  If this is a benefit, why not let as many fans who want the material and want to support the benefit aspect of the sale partipate.  It is kind of selfish really.

LouieB

I think they are just going for the small market. Or the hipsters or old people who want to buy record albums.

I think that Peter Buck album must have been a tax write-off. The tracks I heard were terrible. Sort of like that new David Bowie song, but worse.

I think the only two records I am looking forward to are the new Pearl Jam and U2. I doubt the new Pearl Jam will be worth it, the new U2 I will probably like.

I know about supply and demand, but sometimes the demand is higher than the supply and not all the demand is met, creating an instant secondary market.  If artists pressed up larger amounts it would cut down on the secondary market and actually yeild more money for them.  Not to mention a happier fan base.

The current system is kind of out of wack.

Edit- Case in point, the new Peter Buck LP.  By the time I realized it was out and decided I wanted a copy (initially I figured I would let it go) it was gone.  Peter Buck is a fairly well known artist who could sell copies of his solo LP for months if not years.  LPs now sell for pretty good money.  I just don't get it. (and clearly didn't get it.)

double edit- Clearly the market for any sort of Replacements material, even somewhat lame cover tunes, is huge.  If this is a benefit, why not let as many fans who want the material and want to support the benefit aspect of the sale partipate.  It is kind of selfish really.

LouieB

As I understand it from the article cited above, there will be a larger commercial release of vinyl and digital tracks once the limited edition collection sells out.  So the collectors and the uber-fans can get their hands on the limited edition stuff, and the masses will still be able to enjoy the commercial product.  It seems like a reasonable attempt at maximizing the revenue available for a project like this (which, in the grand scheme of things still probably doesn't amount to a ton of money, but every bit helps). 

Yes, there will always be a secondary market for stuff like this, but I don't see how to eliminate that without making the initial release so large that it's no longer really all that "limited."