Music to look forward to in 2013

I wonder how high the ebay prices will go for that Mats release? Much as I love them I won't be bidding but will probably pick up the commercial release.

Another release I'm interested in (not sure if it was mentioned): The new Black Sabbath produced by Rick Rubin.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know about supply and demand, but sometimes the demand is higher than the supply and not all the demand is met, creating an instant secondary market.  If artists pressed up larger amounts it would cut down on the secondary market and actually yeild more money for them.  Not to mention a happier fan base.

The current system is kind of out of wack.

Edit- Case in point, the new Peter Buck LP.  By the time I realized it was out and decided I wanted a copy (initially I figured I would let it go) it was gone.  Peter Buck is a fairly well known artist who could sell copies of his solo LP for months if not years.  LPs now sell for pretty good money.  I just don't get it. (and clearly didn't get it.)

double edit- Clearly the market for any sort of Replacements material, even somewhat lame cover tunes, is huge.  If this is a benefit, why not let as many fans who want the material and want to support the benefit aspect of the sale partipate.  It is kind of selfish really.

LouieB

Hey Louie...if you want the Peter Buck LP on ebay is on par with or even less then what I paid on Amazon when I ordered it. Its a great album...fun,

As I understand it from the article cited above, there will be a larger commercial release of vinyl and digital tracks once the limited edition collection sells out.  So the collectors and the uber-fans can get their hands on the limited edition stuff, and the masses will still be able to enjoy the commercial product.  It seems like a reasonable attempt at maximizing the revenue available for a project like this (which, in the grand scheme of things still probably doesn't amount to a ton of money, but every bit helps). 

Yes, there will always be a secondary market for stuff like this, but I don't see how to eliminate that without making the initial release so large that it's no longer really all that "limited."

yeah, that sort of approach makes the most sense. collector scum will spend $$$ for what they want, and fans will spend $ for what they want.

I think they are just going for the small market. Or the hipsters or old people who want to buy record albums.

I think that Peter Buck album must have been a tax write-off. The tracks I heard were terrible. Sort of like that new David Bowie song, but worse

Harsh, but having not heard either I can hardly say you are wrong.  I can't see Bowie's record be anything special.  I hold REM and Buck in some regard, but then again the later REM material wasn't so hot. 

As I understand it from the article cited above, there will be a larger commercial release of vinyl and digital tracks once the limited edition collection sells out.  So the collectors and the uber-fans can get their hands on the limited edition stuff, and the masses will still be able to enjoy the commercial product.  It seems like a reasonable attempt at maximizing the revenue available for a project like this (which, in the grand scheme of things still probably doesn't amount to a ton of money, but every bit helps). 

Yes, there will always be a secondary market for stuff like this, but I don't see how to eliminate that without making the initial release so large that it's no longer really all that "limited."

I don't get the point of limited anything, including all the crap that is sold (and I buy some of) on Record Store Day.  I am old school (no news there.)  Albums were put out in mass quantities so anyone and everyone could buy them and then remandered if they didn't sell (cut out, etc.)  No one ever assumed an album would disappear in the first week, they stayed in print for years or until the record company went out of business or the artist's catelogue was discontinued.  Okay so they want to make money for a benefit, that's fine, but lots of folks put out product to benefit a cause (or they beg for it during mass telethones, or some other media) and the more the merrier. 

Moreover no one thought of LPs as collectors items. I was thinking about this the other day. The used record store is a relatively new development (1970s) and the advent of the big time collector's market for this stuff even newer than that (last 10 years or so.) Before that LPs were either played until they wore out, thrown out or given away. They had no value beyond the interest they garnerred from fans. 

Hey Louie...if you want the Peter Buck LP on ebay is on par with or even less then what I paid on Amazon when I ordered it. Its a great album...fun,

I looked on eBay the other day and didn't find it cheap, but then again considering that some folks here didn't like it, there is going to be a certain turnover.  I may still find one locally and frankly if I never get it, well it is one less obsession to deal with.  In fact I don't think I was that interested until I found out there were only a few thousand pressed and suddenly that thought created the reason to get it. 

Of course there will always be a secondary market. I am fine with that, because I have been buying in the secondary market ever since there was one.  But the creation of an economy that enourages high prices because of limited product is kinda goofy and does sometimes backfire.  Note that copies of Kicking Television were available for years after its limited release and the reissued UT singles are still out there available. 

Some of these limited edition LPs will become the beanie babies of tomorrow.  Lots of them already are.

(When the Paul McCartney in Russia came out they were selling for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market. I later found a couple for a couple bucks a piece.  Now I am sure just about anyone can get one for cheap.)

LouieB

I suppose I am being a bit rude. I should have said - not my cup of tea.

Harsh, but having not heard either I can hardly say you are wrong.  I can't see Bowie's record be anything special.  I hold REM and Buck in some regard, but then again the later REM material wasn't so hot. 

I suppose I am being a bit rude. I should have said - not my cup of tea.

I don't care. i have read pretty mixed reviews of it. Pitchfork 6.8 which is pretty low for those guys. 

I would say I am more interested in having it than hearing it.  I checked out some of it on some stream.  Fairly loose feel.

All this is just something to talk about. The record collecting biz is very fucked up. 

I looked on eBay this PM and the two copies are all over 30 bucks. One at 45.  Too many bucks for Buck.

And really if anyone but Westerberg were singing an Ethel Merman song from a Broadway musical, the hipsters would just groan. 

LouieB

RE: limited quantities and such

I think that the only reason a limited quantity release should be done in the case of benefits and so on...in the 'mats case, I am totally for it!  I hope Slim gets the help he needs from this release.  I will gladly do my part in my little way, i.e., buying a digital release/physical mass-produced copy....I just can't afford the possible several hundred dollars this limited release may go for but I think it's for a great cause.   

However, limited release for sake of being limited is such bullshit.  Like, this record store day crap, is just stupid in my opinion.  There's nothing released on that day that I absolutely have to have and, even if it is, I won't be able to find a few months later for much cheaper.  It's all hype with no substance.  The market, for the most part, obviously dictates the interest by virtue of the many RSD release that are still available months after the day.  They could press a few more copies of the super-limited stuff to allow more people the chance to buy things though.  

I know about supply and demand, but sometimes the demand is higher than the supply and not all the demand is met, creating an instant secondary market. 

For some bands, this could be a backwards way of getting people to go to shows.  Often there are things on merch tables that you can't find in stores.

However, limited release for sake of being limited is such bullshit.  Like, this record store day crap, is just stupid in my opinion.  There's nothing released on that day that I absolutely have to have and, even if it is, I won't be able to find a few months later for much cheaper.  It's all hype with no substance.  The market, for the most part, obviously dictates the interest by virtue of the many RSD release that are still available months after the day.  They could press a few more copies of the super-limited stuff to allow more people the chance to buy things though.  

I respect the idea of record store day, but the one time I went into a record store on RSD, it was so annoying I turned around and walked out.  I'm glad they were making sales, but I don't like crowded stores.  Even if they weren't sold out of the few things I had hoped to find, the line was so long I probably would have passed on it.

RE: limited quantities and such

I think that the only reason a limited quantity release should be done in the case of benefits and so on...in the 'mats case, I am totally for it!  I hope Slim gets the help he needs from this release.  I will gladly do my part in my little way, i.e., buying a digital release/physical mass-produced copy....I just can't afford the possible several hundred dollars this limited release may go for but I think it's for a great cause.   

I agree about the first part of this.  What the heck. Raise some money for someone, but raising money for a good cause should extend to anyone who chooses to donate.  The second part clearly I agree with. The labels both major and indie have gone crazy on this.  I have volunteered on RSD the last year or so and have also bought stuff, but with rare exception, the offerings are more attractive on first blush than later on.  That didn't stop me from buying them though. 

For some bands, this could be a backwards way of getting people to go to shows.  Often there are things on merch tables that you can't find in stores.

This is also (half) true. I am all in favor of trying to get folks out to shows, but things have turned completely around in the music business as we al know. 

I respect the idea of record store day, but the one time I went into a record store on RSD, it was so annoying I turned around and walked out.  I'm glad they were making sales, but I don't like crowded stores.  Even if they weren't sold out of the few things I had hoped to find, the line was so long I probably would have passed on it.

It has become kind of a crazy scene to be sure.  But in some ways it has helped the indie record stores stay afloat and create interest in the place these stores play in the artistic community.  It pisses me off when record companies reissue old material for lots of dough when they should just be keeping the titles in print all the time and lower the cost.  I think this is finally starting to happen.  But the cost of LPs is much too high in general.  I realize that a $4 album from 40 years ago is equivalent of a $25 album now, but somehow it seems like alot of the reissues should come down for sure. 

LouieB

Moreover no one thought of LPs as collectors items. I was thinking about this the other day. The used record store is a relatively new development (1970s) and the advent of the big time collector's market for this stuff even newer than that (last 10 years or so.) Before that LPs were either played until they wore out, thrown out or given away. They had no value beyond the interest they garnered from fans. 

what? 

i think you buy different records than me. there are certainly labels much older than 10 years that have been putting out limited releases. and before that, there are plenty of records that were limited pressings because that was all the artist or label could afford at the time. 

My band is releasing our debut album MONSTERS! this month.

attachicon.gifMonsters Email Pic.jpg

We have one track up on Soundcloud HERE!

Check out a stream of our album HERE.

I'm really proud of this album.  I did the engineering and production mostly myself; and my awesome band did the killer playing.  Hope it's not too self promote-y to post this here, but if it's a problem please feel free to do whatever you need to do... 

Hope some folks enjoy this!

^^^^^^^^

Streaming right now Dan and it's sounding really good.  What kind of keyboards are used on this (Ghetto Mexico is on)?  They sound good!

"New" Hendrix coming in March:

Info on the release as well as a preview of one of the songs (Buddy Miles on drums, Stephen Stills on Bass):

http://www.rocksquare.com/community/musicnews/1816

^^^^^^^^

Streaming right now Dan and it's sounding really good.  What kind of keyboards are used on this (Ghetto Mexico is on)?  They sound good!

Info on the release as well as a preview of one of the songs (Buddy Miles on drums, Stephen Stills on Bass):

^^^^^^^^

Thanks for giving it a listen!  Our keyboard player did 2 of the songs (Warrior's Ballad and The Guns Song) with her real piano.  It's an upright grand from1892.  The rest of the keys on the album were recorded with an m-audio 88 key midi controller using a combination of an older Roland emulator/midi unit and patches in Logic Pro.

^^^^^^^^

It's the People, Hell, & Angels album. Which is a title he actually came up with.

Here's some info on the Black Sabbath album:

Legendary heavy metal band BLACK SABBATH has set “13″ as the title of its new album. The group’s first LP with Ozzy Osbourne since 1978 will be released in June via Vertigo/Universal Republic in the U.S. and Vertigo in all other territories. The drum tracks on the CD were laid down by RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE sticksman Brad Wilk following original drummer Bill Ward’s decision to bow out of the reunion.

Eels have a new one coming out soon.

Am already happy with the new Starflyer 59 - IAMACEO.

Wouldn't think Dr. Dog already has another after and album and recent EP in 2012, but maybe they already talked about it somewhere I didn't see.

Hope the Broadcast album - not recent Berberian Sound Studio soundtrack - comes out this year.

Wonder what happened to the Sunny Day Real Estate reunion album? I figured the Foo Fighters last album/tour put it on halt. Now I'm wondering if the latest Dave project will steal Mendel yet again.

Jeremy Enigk has been at work at another solo album, but not much news.

Eisley has one that should come out this year.

Wish Richard Swift would put out an album, but just like Beck, he is spending time recording others (or touring with The Shins).

U2 is really strange. They had 2 rumored albums in a year and then nothing.

Haven't heard the Christopher Owens (of Girls) solo album yet. Pre-ordered it though.

Would like to hear the new Yo La Tengo and Low, but these are both husband/wife bands that I've bought their last few records of and ended up not listening a ton to them.

Weezer has seemed quiet.

Figure Fiery Furnaces might have something soon.

Wouldn't think Dr. Dog already has another after and album and recent EP in 2012, but maybe they already talked about it somewhere I didn't see.

I heard somewhere they were working on a new album to be released this year.  Those guys are work horses.  I really liked Be The Void, but it didn't seem to age very well.  I find myself going back to their earlier albums and passing that one over..

Wonder what happened to the Sunny Day Real Estate reunion album? I figured the Foo Fighters last album/tour put it on halt. Now I'm wondering if the latest Dave project will steal Mendel yet again.

Forgot all about that, really was looking forward to it.  Hope we hear some news soon..

Weezer has seemed quiet.

Thank God. 

Jeremy Enigk has been at work at another solo album, but not much news.

would love either of these

if its gonna be a SDRE album, the time is now to release it and tour. dave's current project probably isn't gonna a fulltime touring commitment, and the Foo Fighters are on a bit of a hiatus, so nate's probably as free as he'll ever get.

if not, a jeremy solo record would be nice. been playing return of the frog queen a lot lately. not quite up to SDRE standards, but really nice stuff.

Just ordered that new Tom Zé from an eBay seller. Should arrive in a few weeks.
No, I guess that I can't wait. Especially when there is no US release date out there.

New Besnard Lakes "Until in excess, imperceptible UFO" coming in April. They are hit and miss for me but I really liked the "Besnard Lakes are the roaring night" album so will check this one out.