Here is an update from Wilco on facebook:

Thank you all for a fantastic 2012. We've got a lot to look forward to in 2013 -- including a new record, another Solid Sound Festival, and bunch more gigs and other surprises. Happy New Year to all from the band and the HQ crew. Cheers!

New record?!? Hooray!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but wonder if Wilco's label independence allows them more freedom in the album release cycle.  It seems like a lot of bands that ditch their labels end up messing around with the typical 3 year album- tour cycle; they might release things more suddenly, do some EP's, internet-only singles etc.

More interesting is what musical turn another Wilco record might take.

I am very excited and surprised about a new album. And Autumn Defense just posted on Facebook that they've got another new one coming out too.

What with all of Nels's side projects and one-offs, and Jeff producing records by Mavis Staples, Low and Kids These Days, it seems like these guys are just bursting with restless energy. I think Mikael is setting up a recording studio in California too. This bodes well for some fresh, creative turns in the music, I think.

Hurm. I hope it is not another live record with post-Ashes heavy material. I would love to see the collection of B-sides / rarities or perhaps something out of left field ( solo acoustic JT, Loose Fur, 24 minute drones, covers collection, ...)

I thought that they had announced last year, that they weren't touring as much in 2013 because they were going to be recording a new album of original material. So I'm not surprised, but I am totally thrilled!!

I wonder if there's ever been a feasibility study for the cost of a live archival release series. Who among us wouldn't pony up the extra cash for a nice, crispy HDCD SBD of some show we went to, or even some "legendary" show from the dim and distant past?

My bet would be everything has been taped for a very long time, and in the band's possession. If it wasn't cost-effective then no bands would do it, and many do. Could be a very nice revenue stream for the band, and a wonderful thing for the fans as well.

Anyway...that what I'd LIKE to see happen in the world of Wilco in 2013. :P

Hurm. I hope it is not another live record with post-Ashes heavy material. I would love to see the collection of B-sides / rarities or perhaps something out of left field ( solo acoustic JT, Loose Fur, 24 minute drones, covers collection, ...)

Was just thinking it must be getting close to time for another live album/DVD. Can't see why you wouldn't want that, particularly given it shouldn't require much input from the band, so shouldn't hinder producing a new album.

I wonder if there's ever been a feasibility study for the cost of a live archival release series. Who among us wouldn't pony up the extra cash for a nice, crispy HDCD SBD of some show we went to, or even some "legendary" show from the dim and distant past?

Huh, was thinking about that too today (boring day at work). I guess the problem would be what the casual fan would buy. I was thinking a box set of shows through the website, with a single disc 'best of the box' for retail might work. I guess the issue might be that there are so many good quality recordings freely available how much there is that people would be willing to pony up for (I'm sure hardcore fans would buy anything, but that probably wouldn't make it economically feasible).

The thing that I always come back to, is there are the Wilco songs on the album, the songs that don't make the album that end up on B-Sides, special downloads, soundtracks etc, but then there are the others the ones that you never ever hear.  Some of the material in the Wilco book was like that; it was as much interesting to listen to so you could understand their process and things that had to be tried, as it was just good music.  With the way the band operates I bet there are some 20 odd recorded songs that no one has ever heard from SBS, WTA, TWL alone.

The problem with that concept, is it's a "hardcore fans only" kind of release.  People on this board would buy it, but that one guy who bought one of their cd's once at starbucks wouldn't.

So when Wilco tweets that there is a new album in 2013, are you hoping it is something entirely new or a compilation of leftovers?

I vote, and will always vote, for new stuff. I find that too often, we as the hardcore fanbase get so connected to the band that we value the bsides/leaked demos too high just based on the fact that we had to be in the know to find it. That said, I also feel that some of the leftovers are great: Cars Can't Escape being the most obvious imo.

I'm hoping for new stuff, too. Revisiting the old is not my favorite thing about art, unless it is used referentially as a comment on the past. I think nostalgia plagues a lot of the Wilco community here, which is fine, but that aesthetic is subjective and personal and mostly about ourselves.

I'm interested in the present Wilco. I want to hear what new influences and inspirations the year has had on their poetry and sound. I look forward to unfamiliar and exciting aural adventures, and to finding resonance. WOOT!

The first listen is always such a thrill. I can hardly wait!

I'm pretty sure they announced last year that they would be dialing back the touring to focus on recording new material.  After the briliiance of TWL I can't wait to see what they come up with next.  However, a collection of out-takes would be welcome, as well.

I think nostalgia plagues a lot of the Wilco community here, which is fine, but that aesthetic is subjective and personal and mostly about ourselves.

I'm interested in the present Wilco. I want to hear what new influences and inspirations the year has had on their poetry and sound. I look forward to unfamiliar and exciting aural adventures, and to finding resonance. 

I'll be the first to admit I am often nostalgic for the "glory days" of Being There through YHF, at least as far as the material (if not always the production) on the official releases. That being said, I am always looking forward to new material, with the hope that I will find some new favorites, or at least something that reaches the level of, say, One Sunday Morning. I'd be happy with archival or B-side type releases, too, just not necessarily my first priority. At least if it's brand new, there is a real element of novelty.

A few folks have noted that there was a mention that Wilco would curtail their concert schedule in order to record an album in 2013. I remember that, too. What I did not expect is that they might release it this year as well, which is what I read into their facebook post.

No matter what happens, I would welcome hearing some new songs at Solid Sound in June. Hearing Born Alone, I Might, Dawned on Me, Whole Love, etc. at the last Solid Sound, a few months before the release of the record, was a treat.

The thing that I always come back to, is there are the Wilco songs on the album, the songs that don't make the album that end up on B-Sides, special downloads, soundtracks etc, but then there are the others the ones that you never ever hear.  Some of the material in the Wilco book was like that; it was as much interesting to listen to so you could understand their process and things that had to be tried, as it was just good music.  With the way the band operates I bet there are some 20 odd recorded songs that no one has ever heard from SBS, WTA, TWL alone.

The problem with that concept, is it's a "hardcore fans only" kind of release.  People on this board would buy it, but that one guy who bought one of their cd's once at starbucks wouldn't.

Yes, Unlikely Japan was a good example.

I'm hoping for a spoken word album.. dramatic interpretations of the latest pop music dribble. Love to hear Jeff's take on Call Me Maybe. :dribble

Just kidding. Really hoping for Wilco Does Gregorian Chants.