• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below is a quote from an archived 2209 Tweedy interview in Uncut magazine that was just re-posted, but it references next month's issue which features Tweedy talking about the new album they are currently recording. That's why they aren't doing as many live dates in 2013- though I'm hoping for a later 2013 album release & some late in the year tour dates to follow!! Elsewhere I read that Tweedy noted that he had between 3 dozen & 100 song ideas/fragments laying about that they were working on. This is from another thread here, but I thought I'd move the info into this thread.

"Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy discusses his band’s upcoming new album in the current issue of Uncut (dated February 2013, Take 189), out now – but here, in this piece from Uncut’s August 2009 issue, Tweedy answers questions from fans and famous admirers, and discusses Bob Dylan’s beard, hanging with Neil Young and the recipe for the perfect burger (clue: use cranberries)…"

http://www.uncut.co.uk/wilco/an-audience-with-wilco-s-jeff-tweedy-feature

That's such a fun interview, and so relaxed. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Below is a quote from an archived 2209 Tweedy interview in Uncut magazine that was just re-posted, but it references next month's issue which features Tweedy talking about the new album they are currently recording. That's why they aren't doing as many live dates in 2013- though I'm hoping for a later 2013 album release & some late in the year tour dates to follow!! Elsewhere I read that Tweedy noted that he had between 3 dozen & 100 song ideas/fragments laying about that they were working on. This is from another thread here, but I thought I'd move the info into this thread.

"Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy discusses his band’s upcoming new album in the current issue of Uncut (dated February 2013, Take 189), out now – but here, in this piece from Uncut’s August 2009 issue, Tweedy answers questions from fans and famous admirers, and discusses Bob Dylan’s beard, hanging with Neil Young and the recipe for the perfect burger (clue: use cranberries)…"

http://www.uncut.co.uk/wilco/an-audience-with-wilco-s-jeff-tweedy-feature

Anyone read the new issue and get a scoop on a new album yet?

Anyone read the new issue and get a scoop on a new album yet?

I subscribed to the iPad version and read the article, but I'm too damn stupid to figure out how to copy and paste from the iPad. It's a short sidebar article--maybe a half page--and if memory serves the only thing I didn't know previously was that it talked about a late 2013 release date.

When I get home I'll reread the article and see if there was anything else noteworthy, and I'll paraphrase if I still can't get the cut and paste thing figured out.

A couple of hints about album progress ("demoing and messing around in the studio" before the March Australian tour) and the new album direction ("I don’t ever want to use the words that people have used to describe us like ‘experimental’ or ‘weird’, because I never have thought of us as being anything like that – but whatever that side of the band is, it feels like that’s an itch we haven’t scratched") in this interview teaser - http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/local/34913/Wilco-getting-prepared-to-make-another-record

In rereading the Uncut piece, there isn't much specific info. Jeff says he's always got tons of song fragments that he looks to develop when the band gets together. He said that right now there are about 90 unrecorded song fragments he could develop, the most recent being one he wrote just the day before, with a working title "Associate Sunrise."

Mainly he talked about the production of the Low and Mavis albums. He said the Mavis album is very spare musically. Both he and his son Spencer play on it; Spencer is on drums.

See wilco enough live, so i don't need to own a live album. I always felt it was a bit arbitrary that Wilco made a live album in the first place, since Jeff is so big on people not recording shit at his shows to "preserve your own memories"

jeff/wilco doesnt allow photography or video recording. audio recording remains totally cool

Yeah, it's not the audio recordings they have an issue with. It's people using their cell phones, an imperfect medium, to capture shaky, sub-par video and/or audio, instead of seeing/hearing the performance with their own eyes and ears. I think it's about people's preference to document something happening in front of them instead of just focusing on it and appreciating it as it happens.

I was at a Band of Horses show where the lead singer flipped out at people recording him with their cell phones/point-and-shoot cameras when they played The Funeral.  I didn't get why he flipped out (and subsequently apologized), but I do honestly believe that people who take pictures/videos during a concert are being bad fans.  I think they're ruining the experience for those around them and not really enjoying the show in the moment.  And for what?  For a grain video or underexposed photograph?  If you want to prove you were at a show, take a picture of the billboard or the ticket.  When you're in the moment, just enjoy it for what it is.

I was at a Band of Horses show where the lead singer flipped out at people recording him with their cell phones/point-and-shoot cameras when they played The Funeral.  I didn't get why he flipped out (and subsequently apologized), but I do honestly believe that people who take pictures/videos during a concert are being bad fans.  I think they're ruining the experience for those around them and not really enjoying the show in the moment.  And for what?  For a grain video or underexposed photograph?  If you want to prove you were at a show, take a picture of the billboard or the ticket.  When you're in the moment, just enjoy it for what it is.

I felt this way for the longest time, then several months ago I took a video of 1 song at a show I was at. Since then, I've been on a mission to record 1 full song at each show I go to. I try and be courteous about not blocking anyone's view and don't really think that what i'm doing makes me a "bad fan." We all experience and appreciate the live music in different ways. This is a fun little mission, and I'm not causing harm to anyone else. You may enjoy the show by standing in place & bobbing your head up and down; I may enjoy the show by sharing a photo or video with friends. At the end of the day, what's the difference? I think the "enjoy the show in the moment" tirade has been exhausted at this point. 

I've learned from being around "talkers" at plenty of amazing shows that some people are conditioned to never be in the moment.

I'm not suggesting that anyone on here who ever taped anything isn't living in the now, just that some people can't.  I think shaming them seldom works.

All we can do is ignore the others and relish a musical opportunity to transcend our typical preoccupations.  Sadly, social media seems to neurologically re-route things to continuously make this harder for all of us who use it.

In other news I'm psyched to hear a new Wilco record in 9-10 months that they are hesitating to call "weird" or "experimental, but..."

I felt this way for the longest time, then several months ago I took a video of 1 song at a show I was at. Since then, I've been on a mission to record 1 full song at each show I go to. I try and be courteous about not blocking anyone's view and don't really think that what i'm doing makes me a "bad fan." We all experience and appreciate the live music in different ways. This is a fun little mission, and I'm not causing harm to anyone else. You may enjoy the show by standing in place & bobbing your head up and down; I may enjoy the show by sharing a photo or video with friends. At the end of the day, what's the difference? I think the "enjoy the show in the moment" tirade has been exhausted at this point. 

I did this for a long time. Particularly at MMJ shows, which I've seen quite a ton of. It got to the point though when I recorded a favorite song of mine that I hadn't previously seen. I regretted it because my actual memory of it is staring at my phone, not the stage. I haven't pulled my phone out a show since, and that was April 2011 I believe.

I'm not coming down on you, either. I agree, everyone enjoys their shows differently. As long as you aren't bothering anyone.

I'm not coming down on you, either. I agree, everyone enjoys their shows differently. As long as you aren't bothering anyone.

I'm not attacking anyone, but unless you're standing behind me, you're probably bothering me with the screen glow.  Unless you're in the back of the venue, you're probably bothering someone.  And if you're at a Wilco show, you're probably doing something the band doesn't really like.

I'm not attacking anyone, but unless you're standing behind me, you're probably bothering me with the screen glow.  Unless you're in the back of the venue, you're probably bothering someone.  And if you're at a Wilco show, you're probably doing something the band doesn't really like.

ha, that is the truth. one of things I love about jeff

I can get behind the idea that you shouldn't record full songs, for sure. It's annoying to me when people do it, as it takes at least a few minutes, whatever the duration of the song is...obviously, the longer the song, the more annoying that screen glow becomes.

But taking photos? I can't see that as being a problem. I take probably ten to twenty photos at every show I go to, if I can get away with it (unless I am ridiculously close, in which case I don't want to incur the wrath of the artist.) Taking a few photos is not that intrusive, especially if they are spread out over the duration of a two or three hour period. If you're bugged by that, I don't see how you could stand even going to a show these days, what with all the lengthy screen glows of people recording, plus the talkers, the drunks, people smoking cigs or weed, strong perfume, body odor... :lol

Now, if it's hundreds of photos, okay, yeah, that is highly annoying...might as well be recording the whole thing...