What are your perfect 10 out of 10 albums!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambchop: Nixon and Damaged

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme

Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Tom Waits: Rain Dogs

Mercury Rev: See You on the Other Side

David Bowie: Scary Monsters and Super Creeps

Van Morrison: Veedon Fleece

Sparklehorse: Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

Talk Talk: Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um

Grant Lee Buffalo: Mighty Joe Moon

The Black Crowes: Southern Harmony

Massive Attack: Blue Lines

and

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime!!

I did not know about that band or album.   When I read that post, I thought it was just an album title.  My mistake, sorry!

I guess I probably could've assumed that.  :cheers

10/10 albums for me include D'Angelo's Voodoo / The Kleptones' Night At The Hip Hopera / The Pharcyde's Bizarre Ride 2 The Pharcyde / Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique / Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind / The Beatles' White Album / They Might Be Giants' Lincoln / The Rolling Stones' Exile On Main Street /The Clash's London Calling / Wilco's Summerteeth / The Chemical Brothers' Dig Your Own Hole / Led Zepplelin III / Jane's Addiction's Nothing's Shocking / U2's Achtung Baby / Stevie Wonder's Innervisions

Just a few of my 10 outta 10:

Superchunk - No Pocky for Kitty

The Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray

Weezer - Pinkerton

GBV - Bee Thousand

Sebadoh - Bakesale

Silver Jews - American Water

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree

Wilco - YHF

Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues

Yes! Strangely it's the only Waterboys album that I like (and I've given them all a listen)

others:

Steely Dan - Aja

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

X - More Fun in the New World

Aside from a bunch already mentioned...

The Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

The Pretenders - The Pretenders (oops, just saw it a few posts above!)

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

I guess I probably could've assumed that.  :cheers

10/10 albums for me include D'Angelo's Voodoo / The Kleptones' Night At The Hip Hopera / The Pharcyde's Bizarre Ride 2 The Pharcyde / Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique / Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind / The Beatles' White Album / They Might Be Giants' Lincoln / The Rolling Stones' Exile On Main Street /The Clash's London Calling / Wilco's Summerteeth / The Chemical Brothers' Dig Your Own Hole / Led Zepplelin III / Jane's Addiction's Nothing's Shocking / U2's Achtung Baby / Stevie Wonder's Innervisions

Shoot, I forgot LZ3. Yes: perfection.

I finally thought of one (Rock division): Led Zeppelin I. 

I might be able to do without "You're Time Is Gonna Come" but everything else...certainly one of the best debut albums ever.

I actually thought this thread would be kind of dull, just chock full of iconic classics that everyone knows. Shows you how little I know (and how bad I am at predicting things!). Instead, it's loaded with all sorts of obscure stuff I've never heard of...hmmm, will have to check some of it out.

Since there are so many lesser-known albums mentioned here, I will add a few more that I really like from start to finish when I put them on:

Bruce Cockburn - Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws

Phil Ochs - There and Now: Live In Vancouver 1968 (Actually recorded in '69, but hey, that's the 60s for ya)

Hank Dogs - Bareback

Patty Larkin - Live In the Square

Grateful Dead - Europe '72 (Okay, it starts to peter out after Truckin' but WTF)

John Coltrane - Abstract Blue (A bootleg of material, from about 1961, much of which came out on the Europe box set)

a lot of stuff mentioned already, plus the exploding hearts - guitar romantic

YES.

id read a lot of hype about guitar romantic from people i really respect on another board, and it absolutely lived up to it. i played the shit out of that record when i first bought it, and it blew me away. i pull it off the shelf more often than almost any other album i own and it always gives me this giddy thrill that very few bands can match. its just the perfect kind of sloppy teenage punk rock

I actually thought this thread would be kind of dull, just chock full of iconic classics that everyone knows. Shows you how little I know (and how bad I am at predicting things!). Instead, it's loaded with all sorts of obscure stuff I've never heard of...hmmm, will have to check some of it out.

Since there are so many lesser-known albums mentioned here, I will add a few more that I really like from start to finish when I put them on:

Bruce Cockburn - Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws

Phil Ochs - There and Now: Live In Vancouver 1968 (Actually recorded in '69, but hey, that's the 60s for ya)

Hank Dogs - Bareback

Patty Larkin - Live In the Square

Grateful Dead - Europe '72 (Okay, it starts to peter out after Truckin' but WTF)

John Coltrane - Abstract Blue (A bootleg of material, from about 1961, much of which came out on the Europe box set)

Definitely some dicking around after Truckin', but all buildup for the majestic Dew that follows!

Definitely some dicking around after Truckin', but all buildup for the majestic Dew that follows!

Ironically, that "Prelude" came up on my iTunes shuffle about an hour after you posted. About half way through it, I did what I always do (without even necessarily knowing what I'm hearing): hit the skip button. :lol

Love Jerry and the boys, but that is not one of their finer moments...

id read a lot of hype about guitar romantic from people i really respect on another board, and it absolutely lived up to it. i played the shit out of that record when i first bought it, and it blew me away. i pull it off the shelf more often than almost any other album i own and it always gives me this giddy thrill that very few bands can match. its just the perfect kind of sloppy teenage punk rock

Funny - I had it suggested to me by a guy whose musical taste I don't necessarily respect (he's really into pop-country acts) and I only checked it out as a courtesy to him.  Good thing I did... goes without saying that I agree with its inclusion on this list.

Funny - I had it suggested to me by a guy whose musical taste I don't necessarily respect (he's really into pop-country acts) and I only checked it out as a courtesy to him.  Good thing I did... goes without saying that I agree with its inclusion on this list.

The funny thing is I am surprised you liked it because I thought you h8 music? :stunned

It seems like the standards of people's answers here vary widely. Some seem to be replying with their lists of "perfect" albums (a ridiculously high standard) and others with "no songs I skip" (a ridiculously low one). I always have trouble with that perfect album idea...because almost invariably you have songs you like better than others, even on your favorite albums. So when you hit your least favorite song on the album...are you still thinking "ah, perfection!". Example....

I haven't seen The Band (The Band) mentioned. Probably here, but I haven't scoured every post. Incredible, rich album that continues to reward repeat listenings for me 40 years later. Is it perfect? I don't know...Cripple Creek is pretty twangy. A half dozen of my favorite songs are here, a few others that aren't so special. Quite possibly my favorite album, but perfect...?

Anyway, a few other contenders for me:

Katie Lied (Steely Dan)

Rain Dogs (Tom Waits)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Wilco)

Rust Never Sleeps (Neil Young)

Hot Tuna (Hot Tuna)

On the Beach (Neil Young)

Larks Tongues (King Crimson)

Red (King Crimson)

Trick of the Tail (Genesis)

Love Over Gold (Dire Straits)

Forgot this one:

51V582p6p-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And, this one might be a bit of a peculiar choice, as it is undeniably flawed. But, oddly enough, at the same time it is as perfect a record as there ever has been. In fact, I think that it's imperfections MAKE it perfect. Moreso than its occasionally too-perfect predecessors.:
51ddgb2KUWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg