Artists you were late in coming to—now you can't get enough.

THE ROCHES

and

HARRY NILSSON

For the longest time, I just avoided both of these guys. Now they're both among my all-time favorites.

It's because they (both) just had a sort of 70s schmaltz aura around them that I couldn't get past. Eventually, there were enough folks talking them up to me that my resistance was worn down and I dove in.

And then I kept diving and diving and within a couple of years I now own most of their discographies. In the case of The Roches, I even have multiple solo albums and releases from various combinations of sisters. Hell, I even bought their Christmas album! And I hate Christmas albums!

Who were you late to the party on and now can't get enough of?

Why?

Drive By Truckers.

I recall they played the Taste of Sheffield fest back in 2004(?, maybe earlier) and a bunch of pals went but I chose not to. They raved about the show afterwards and still do. I didnt pay any attention to them until about a year ago, the ACL show guthooked me after one listen.

Pavement: I remember going through a heavy Dead phase, having a kid, doing the career thing,and slowing my new music roll, At a family reunion in Philly, I was

chatting up a favorite nephew who was in his early 20's at the time and well versed in music,He stoutly regarded Crooked Rain Crooked Rain and Slanted as some of  the greatest records ever...... I'd guess this was 1997, and I remember the picnic benches where we hung out, rapping about artists and bands for a couple hours.

I went home and checked it out, and have never looked back. Even today, I am a huge Malkmus fan, and pretty much adore everything they and he have ever done.

Thank you, nephew Steven (yes Steven). 

My list would be embarrassingly huge. Wilco, DBTs, Lucero, The Minutemen, Justin Townes Earle to just name a few. It seems like I need to have a few dozen people talk about how great an artist is for years before I take the effort to check them out.

My list would be embarrassingly huge. Wilco, DBTs, Lucero, The Minutemen, Justin Townes Earle to just name a few. It seems like I need to have a few dozen people talk about how great an artist is for years before I take the effort to check them out.

Yeah, me, too. I didn't really like Wilco until Ashes of American Flags, even though I got AM and Being There when they came out, just didn't grab me then and I never went to see them, even when the Mother Hips opened for them at the Fillmore in SF on New Year's Eve. Nor did seeing them live for the first time in 2002. Might be that I just prefer who they are now as a band more than earlier in their career.

Someone gave me My Morning Jacket Z and It Still Moves in 2005, neither of which grabbed me on a cursory listen. 5 years later, I watched the live DVD Okonokos and realized the fool I'd been for not catching them live years earlier than I eventually did in 2010. Now they, along with Wilco, are my favorite band to go see live.

I also just got into Lucero, but like Wilco, I like where they are now, not so much their earlier stuff. Love those horns and pedal steel!

• 2 months later...

One band I never got at the time but, as of the past month or so, love are the Pixies. Can't believe I didn't get it at the time.

Another one is the Replacements. In the 80s I was all about Prog whereas in the 90s it was Wilco/Jayhawks/Black Crowes and Grant lee Buffalo. Now, looking back, I've realised how great Pixies/Replacements were.

The Band. Last 5 years or so.

I can't tell you how many times I go back and explore their catalog. I'm not old enough to have picked them up when they came out so I'm obviously late but for the last 13+ years they have captivated my ears and my imagination like no other band. So dynamic and so talented. The name fits, THE Band.

Did you know that Rick James and Neil Young were in a band together for a spell? Mynah Birds. I believe there is audio of a tune or two they wrote together out there somewhere maybe the youtube.

Did you know that Rick James and Neil Young were in a band together for a spell? Mynah Birds. I believe there is audio of a tune or two they wrote together out there somewhere maybe the youtube.

They could never be on the same of the aisle at the same time.

BA4BFF57-7856-40B7-94FF-6585BF862860-252

^^ I have that "It's A Beautiful Day" record Neil's holding. Good album, need to pull that out again sometime.

• 5 months later...

About 10 years ago, my answer to this would have been simple: Uncle Tupelo.

I got heavily into them and collected a bunch of live stuff, radio shows, etc. etc., after working my way back through all of the Wilco catalogue.

Now - nobody fits that description, because I listen to such a wide variety of things, most of them new to me (if not actually "new").

The Band. Last 5 years or so.

Me too. I got my hands on the 1971 show at the Academy of Music and it's simply incredible.

I also would put Pink Floyd in this category. For a long time, all I knew was Dark Side and The Wall. Now I've come to appreciate Meddle, Wish You Were Here, and Animals quite a bit. Still working on the early stuff.

Me too. I got my hands on the 1971 show at the Academy of Music and it's simply incredible.

I also would put Pink Floyd in this category. For a long time, all I knew was Dark Side and The Wall. Now I've come to appreciate Meddle, Wish You Were Here, and Animals quite a bit. Still working on the early stuff.

Animals is probably one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time.  It leaves me breathless.  Wish You Were Here is not far behind.  Echoes is an incredible track too!  Their early stuff is a different beast.