• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I went on a huge Bowie binge Friday night. I loved it. Listened to Blackstar about 3x as well as some of the stuff I don't listen to very much, including the very crappy Never Let Me Down.

How's that Mickey Rourke rap verse aged?

This may be interesting:

Shortly before David Bowie’s death, Carnegie Hall announced a concert honoring the singer on March 31. Now, the event, part of the City Winery founder Michael Dorf’s annual tribute series, will be reframed as a memorial concert, and a second show has been added at Radio City Music Hall, with Michael Stipe, Laurie Anderson and Cat Power joining one or both of the lineups.

The Carnegie Hall show will feature Mr. Stipe, Ms. Anderson and Cat Power along with the previously announced artists: the Roots, Jakob Dylan, the Mountain Goats, Cyndi Lauper, Bettye LaVette, Perry Farrell, Robyn Hitchcock and Ann Wilson of Heart. The bill for the April 1 concert at Radio City Music Hall includes Cat Power, Mr. Farrell, Ms. Wilson and the Polyphonic Spree. The house band for both shows will consist of longtime Bowie collaborators: the producer Tony Visconti and drummer Woody Woodmansey, both of whom were original members of Mr. Bowie’s Spiders From Mars.

Tickets for the April 1 concert will go on sale on January 15 at 11 a.m. at musicof.org. Tickets for the Carnegie Hall date are officially sold out.

Really good 2013 BBC documentary on Showtime for free (at least now). "David Bowie - 5 years". Worth watching. The BBC does these well. I finally worked up the gumption to watch the video for "Lazarus". Stunning. I'd seen "Blackstar" but was too broke up to watch "Lazarus" until today. I haven't written here until now. Bowie was a cornerstone in my musical journey from about age 12 when I got Changesonebowie with my subscription to Creem. I never really strayed unlike some other stuff  I liked. I got to briefly meet him in 1990. One of the high points in my career in the music biz. I'm still gobsmacked by the whole thing. The liver cancer thing & Glenn Frey passing with one of the reasons being RA is hitting way too close to home. Not going into details but its scary stuff. I'm still walking & working so no complaints but I'm making sure I have my affairs in order, just in case. I see Wilco covered "All the Young Dudes" in Mexico. Nice! Hope a tape comes out. Peace.

It's been over a week and i still can't stop thinking, watching, and listening to Bowie. I think in the past decade people have almost forgotten about him due to his low profile. He was like my best friend since i discovered him around '82. It's been overwhelming to listen to all the albums and see all his changes again. His impact on me and anyone lucky enough to let him in is just staggering. Curiously, when i saw the exhibit in Chicago i thought it was a blast but also a failure in the fact that he is the opposite of a museum piece. He was always such a living and breathing thing and your attitudes to his art depended more on YOUR mood then the art itself.

Anyway....i hate knowing i live in a world without him. And Blackstar is almost impossible for me to get through because of that. The only other artist i felt that about was John Lennon and Double Fantasy at the time. Jerry was the end of something very special but Bowie feels like the end of my entire past.

Been listening a bit to Blackstar. A good listen. Really love the ending duo of "Dollar Days" and "I Can't Give Everything Away".

Honestly having a hard time listening to this one. I find it almost too emotional. That break in Blackstar when he sings "Something happened on the day he died......" is just shattering to me. I can do his whole catalog but this one is a tough listen right now for me.

It's a really good exercise in 6th intervals for guitar, if that means anything to you.  Once I get proficient at it, I'm sure I'll come back to it and mine it over and over for my own songs, just like I did after I learned Hendrix's Little Wing.

^^^^That song is possibly my favorite Bowie tune. Something about the sound I just love.

Sound & Vision is the song that I have long used to get a song out of my head. Works every time and never wears out its welcome.

^^^  Agree.  Sound + Vision is one of my favorite Bowie songs.  There's something about the way Bowie sings the word "vision" that makes me smile every time.  It has a harmonic quality to it -- like a vibrating pipe.

^^^  Agree.  Sound + Vision is one of my favorite Bowie songs.  There's something about the way Bowie sings the word "vision" that makes me smile every time.  It has a harmonic quality to it -- like a vibrating pipe.

Blue, blue.... :thumbup

• 1 month later...

Watched Bowie's Serious Moonlight Tour DVD last night -- man, that was fun to watch.

Earl Slick definitely over played a bit -- but I can't see Vaughan fitting in at all with the band.

Loved the two back up singers, too. I thought the overall production was great --- anybody who thought Bowie sold out around this time is a weirdoe (To quote Lammy).

Watched Bowie's Serious Moonlight Tour DVD last night -- man, that was fun to watch.

Earl Slick definitely over played a bit -- but I can't see Vaughan fitting in at all with the band.

Loved the two back up singers, too. I thought the overall production was great --- anybody who thought Bowie sold out around this time is a weirdoe (To quote Lammy).

There are good quality boots of the tour rehearsals with SRV out there. Some of it works real well, some not so much. Worth checking out for sure.

• 4 weeks later...