Recording process question.

Nor do I, I just mean if you were to take one out, listen to it for a period, and then put it back in. It showcases the mix of the album. I can really be done with any album in stereo, but I specifically like it with ST. It's probably the combination or piano, organ, and mellotron all being presented on most tracks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loudness issue of ST is due to it's shortcomings in the mastering stage, i believe.  It was compressed too much, which creates the illusion of loudness, but also robs it of dynamic range.  In other words, the soft parts are made louder and the loud parts made quieter.  this is done to make something "stand out" from everything else around it, and is commonly done to commercials, which is why you have to rush for the remote to turn them down when they come on.  The problem is that as everyone is doing it, it becomes harder and harder to stand out, and so you have to do it more and more, everything becomes more squashed and the life is squeezed out of the music.

It's a huge negative of St for me.

To whoever was talking about AGIB being tracked individually: It was largely done live. There was a great thread on gearslutz a while back where engineer Chris Shaw talked about his experience tracking for the record. HERE is his original post, and he has another one with pictures HERE

I don't hear the same Summerteeth that Ghost of Electricity does, thankfully. To me, it's worlds away from the type of compressed mixes (the loudness war stuff that anthony refers to) I hear all too often lately.

I can hear it too, but never really thought about it until it was brought up here.  The first few notes of the bell sound on "Can't Stand It", I can definitely hear the excessive use of compression/limiting.  

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of compression on the mix.  That is the audio term for the tool, not necessarily what the word would imply in general.  It doesn't always mean it sounds pinched, or totally distorted.  More like there is less space between the notes, and less dynamics.  It's consistently loud all of the time.

that first note note scared the crap out of me the first time i played cause i wasnt expecting the loudness!

Holy crap me too. The album slapped me upside the head and hooked me in from the first listen. If it were an article it would be an excellent lead.

I know zero about recording music, but I've always felt something was amiss with I Can't Stand It. I love the song, but regardless of volume level, it doesn't ever quite sound right to my ears. Remember: This is the song Reprise got involved with, putting in the bells, etc. I don't mind the bells, but the sound doesn't quite match the rest of the album. Perhaps that's Reprise's doing, since they wanted this to be pushed for radio play (which they didn't put forth much effort)?

I know zero about recording music, but I've always felt something was amiss with I Can't Stand It. I love the song, but regardless of volume level, it doesn't ever quite sound right to my ears. Remember: This is the song Reprise got involved with, putting in the bells, etc. I don't mind the bells, but the sound doesn't quite match the rest of the album. Perhaps that's Reprise's doing, since they wanted this to be pushed for radio play (which they didn't put forth much effort)?

Can't  Stand It is actually probably the only Wilco song, I genuinely don't really like. I can't stand the bells (pun intended) like you said, it doesn't really feel like the rest of the record. I don't know. I can listen to it sometimes, but I often start Summerteeth at She's a Jar.

Can't Stand It is a solid tune.

I remember once falling into the trap of saying how much I hated this song after reading Learning How to Die.  You'll grow out of it.  Besides, as Sir Stewart pointed out, there are plenty of Wilco songs to genuinely dislike.  You should also check out the second half of Sky Blue Sky.  Or the middle of The Whole Love.

Maybe they could choose a different tune off the album to start off a new version of the album and re-release it. Depending on the tune, sounds like there might be a niche market for something like that.

Can't Stand It is a solid tune.

I remember once falling into the trap of saying how much I hated this song after reading Learning How to Die. You'll grow out of it. Besides, as Sir Stewart pointed out, there are plenty of Wilco songs to genuinely dislike. You should also check out the second half of Sky Blue Sky. Or the middle of The Whole Love.

I know all the songs, haha, and although Sky sometimes bores me, I've grown to appreciate Walken, Leave Me, etc...I actually enjoy all of WTA, and TWL. I just really find Can't Stand It annoying. It's all opinion. I may be one of the few here who will vouche for any song on WTA.