This one's a spin-off from the now reading thread. What authors have you read who are so important & enjoyable to you that you would read almost anything they wrote?

Off the top of my head: T.C. Boyle, Louise Erdrich, and Alice Hoffman. John Irving too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas Pynchon, Huruki Murakami and Philip Roth are the only three authors that I can say I have read everything they have published. But I have many other favorite authors the first that comes to mind is Joyce Carol Oates. Oh and JD Salinger

Richard Russo

Dennis Lehane

Michael Malone

And since she only wrote one novel and that one novel happens to be the absolute best, I'd read Harper Lee's grocery list and check register if she'd publish them.

Oh, I forgot Richard Russo! I still have books of his to read, lucky me.

Did Dennis Lehane ever find his missing doggie?

Oh, I forgot Richard Russo! I still have books of his to read, lucky me.

Did Dennis Lehane ever find his missing doggie?

I recently finished reading Nobody's Fool for the second time.

No, there's been a several sightings that have proven fruitless. Either that dog is getting around or Massachusetts is teeming with stray beagles.

Damn. I hope she makes it home.

I've read nothing of Lehane's, where should I begin?

The Given Day is good literature. Mystic River is both good literature and top-notch mystery. His detective series has six books, four are really good for that genre, starting with A Drink Before the War.

I'm scribbling these down on my Want-to-Read list, thank you! And this thread is reminding me of several other authors of whose writing I want to read, or read more. We have a pretty well-read community here on VC! :)

Updike was the man. Haven't found a poem, short story, or novel of his that I did not like. I realize that not all of his writing is great, but I cop to being way biased on this.

Another vote for TC Boyle and John Irving here, too. Many juniors at the high school where I teach have to read Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, and all of our seniors read Boyle's short story Greasy Lake. Love that story.

Oh, and Annie Proulx. Loved The Shipping News, and Brokeback Mountain is my favorite short story by anyone, ever.

So many to choose from

Of course Kerouac and Burroughs.

I used to read alot of Emile Zola

Tolstoy and Dosteyevsky

Dos Passos, Steinbeck, Frank Norris

Thomas Wolfe

Will think of some others.

LouieB