Califone Living Room Show Tour

I caught one of the LRS here in Portland last week-ish. It was really quite amazing and special. I loved hearing some Red Red Meat and reminisced with Tim about Lounge Ax in the 90s. He told a very funny story about puking Jagermeister in the white snow, in the Lounge Ax back alley.

I'm so glad I went; thanks M Christine for the heads up. At least I made it to one Chicago-related Living Room Show this year...not feeling *as* remorseful for missing Jeff's LRS!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught one of the LRS here in Portland last week-ish. It was really quite amazing and special. I loved hearing some Red Red Meat and reminisced with Tim about Lounge Ax in the 90s. He told a very funny story about puking Jagermeister in the white snow, in the Lounge Ax back alley. I'm so glad I went; thanks M Christine for the heads up. At least I made it to one Chicago-related Living Room Show this year...not feeling *as* remorseful for missing Jeff's LRS!

Makes me happy you got to see this!

Ha! It seems Tim has a bit of a body function bent to his conversation. Both times I have seen him the banter has taken a definite turn to the scatological. 

I miss Robert, are you in touch with him at all these days? He put me in touch with a lot of a great stuff when I first starting posting here. He and M. Chris led me right to Quicksand/Cradlesnakes and Califone has been one of favorite bands ever since. I owe my Califone and Jon Brion obsessions to this place for sure. 

We touch base with each other only occasionally, but yes he's a very cool guy. He brought me here, in fact - so y'all can give him hell for that.

Along with Califone he turned me into The Long Ryders, Morphine, and many others.

• 3 weeks later...

If you missed Rutili in the spring, Here's the autumn rendition to coincide with the release of Stitches.

Makes me wonder though if there will be a full band tour, more than the few venue shows already announced.

http://www.undertowmusic.com/hosts-needed-califone-living-room-tour/

The Bloomington IN show was a really great time. I would've never known about it without this thread. Thank you very much.

I'm hoping for another show that I'll be able to attend.

On the last leg, the Chicago shows were already sold-out by the time I looked for tickets. But that tour took Califone into some small towns that I used to live in : Bloomington IN , Albuquerque NM & San Rafael CA.

I really wanted to fly into SFO for the San Rafael show... but then again, it was nice to be able to walk from a friend's house to the Bloomington show. 

If you make this happen I would love to see if it's possible for me. 

The way the previously announced venue shows are right in the middle of the living room tour makes me wonder if there will be any full band shows at all. Especially since the venue shows are now listed as 'with Richard Buckner'. I totally get why Tim would rather play living rooms to an attentive audience but I'd love to see some full band shows too. Looks like Buffalo will probably be my only show on this tour.

Stitches pre-order info should be coming down the 'pike any time now, bring it on!

The way the previously announced venue shows are right in the middle of the living room tour makes me wonder if there will be any full band shows at all. Especially since the venue shows are now listed as 'with Richard Buckner'. I totally get why Tim would rather play living rooms to an attentive audience but I'd love to see some full band shows too. Looks like Buffalo will probably be my only show on this tour.

Stitches pre-order info should be coming down the 'pike any time now, bring it on!

Hmmm interesting. Tim said at some point during the lr tour that the Stitches tour would be some configuration of Califone.

If you make this happen I would love to see if it's possible for me. 

That would be so kick ass mb! I will keep you posted.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was happy that I helped network their ATL show even though I can't go. My friend who located the house for them is psyched. Can't wait to hear the new lp. ...Funeral Singers and Roots and Crowns get played all the time. Did get to see them at the most awesome pitchfork '07 and hope to another day. Y'all enjoy the shows.

I just stumbled across a reference to a documentary from a couple of years ago. Made a Machine by Describing the Landscape. Anyone seen it? Is it worth 20 bucks?

It's worth it just for the phenomenal live in studio version of Electric Fence. The concert footage is good too though not as high quality as the bonus disc in the Funeral Singers dvd. Most of the songs in Made A Machine... are from Quicksand/Cradlesnakes, if you're a fan you should definitely have it.  

My Stitches pre-order bundle arrived Thursday, 5 days before street date! Loving it.

It's worth it just for the phenomenal live in studio version of Electric Fence. The concert footage is good too though not as high quality as the bonus disc in the Funeral Singers dvd. Most of the songs in Made A Machine... are from Quicksand/Cradlesnakes, if you're a fan you should definitely have it.  

My Stitches pre-order bundle arrived Thursday, 5 days before street date! Loving it.

Thanks.

Does the Stitches vinyl come w a cd or mp3 download?

Listened to Stitches last night.  This is a great LP.

Side one was instantly perfect. Side two has been a creeper. Digging it though really missing Jim Becker in the mix.

I just stumbled across a reference to a documentary from a couple of years ago. Made a Machine by Describing the Landscape. Anyone seen it? Is it worth 20 bucks?

Matt do you have a link to purchase? Never even knew about this!

Matt do you have a link to purchase? Never even knew about this!

Sorry, I dont.  But if you search for the title on google, it will come right up.  I ordered it.  Will report back.

Saw Califone last night.  Sort of.  3/4ths of the band was missing (i.e., replaced).  It was a good show because the songs are great, and Tim is great, but there was really something missing.  I don't know.  Califone is Tim's baby to do with as he sees fit, but it just wasn't the same without Becker, etc.  Had to fight off the blues during the show at some points when I thought the drummer was not subtle enough, or the fiddle/banjo wasnt there.

Will (?) is definitely talented, and I like what he can bring to the table, but like I said it just wasn't the same.  Oh well.  Just being honest.