"X" is the poor man's "Y"

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you got me on that one. I wanted to bust more on Mumford but I assumed some folks on here actually like them..............plus my most respected music friend puts out an end of the year list every year and he said as much as he wanted to hate it their new album was good. this man has never once been wrong before but I guess theres a first time for everything

Well that's about the most absurd thing I've seen in this thread.  I'm a big Old 97's fan, but to put the Avetts below them is curious.  The Avett's are way more bluegrass and way more raw than the 97's.  The only way I see them being compared on any level is that they both have been criticized (probably fairly) for trying to use the sex appeal to gain more mainstream popularity.

This whole thread is pretty absurd really, but its fun anyway I guess.    

I haven't enjoyed anything the Avetts have put out post Emotionalism.  

Oasis is the poor mans (completely impoverished) The Beatles.  

Well that's about the most absurd thing I've seen in this thread.  I'm a big Old 97's fan, but to put the Avetts below them is curious.  The Avett's are way more bluegrass and way more raw than the 97's.  The only way I see them being compared on any level is that they both have been criticized (probably fairly) for trying to use the sex appeal to gain more mainstream popularity.

I had the feeling this would stir up some ire, but I'm being totally sincere.  From the first time I heard the Avetts, my brain went to the Old 97's and I thought, "I already have the 97's; I don't need this uber-sincere take on country/bluegrass/folk whatever it is they're playing."  Granted, because I felt that, I haven't spent much time since (okay, none) listening to the Avetts.

If that's absurd, so be it!

Blur is nobody's poor man's anything.

And the singer from The Cult is the poor man's Jim Morrison, not Eddie Vedder.

Ian Astbury. I was going to say Ian Astbury is the poor man's Eddie Vedder, but I didn't want to take it too far. :lol

I remember the very first time I saw Pearl Jam on TV. I looked and listened, and promptly said, "Poor man's Jim Morrison." Never did change my opinion on that, either.

I had the feeling this would stir up some ire, but I'm being totally sincere.  From the first time I heard the Avetts, my brain went to the Old 97's and I thought, "I already have the 97's; I don't need this uber-sincere take on country/bluegrass/folk whatever it is they're playing."  Granted, because I felt that, I haven't spent much time since (okay, none) listening to the Avetts.

If that's absurd, so be it!

It is so.

Blur is nobody's poor man's anything.

And the singer from The Cult is the poor man's Jim Morrison, not Eddie Vedder.

And the dude (or lady) who dresses Ian Astbury is the poor man's dude (or lady) who dresses Steven Tyler.

Ozma is the poor mans Weezer.  

Even though they are a good band that wrote some great tunes, they are the only band I know of that blatantly copied another bands sound, and wasn't afraid to admit it either.