Wellington Town Hall, NZ. April 5th 2013

Here goes . . .  I'm here, in Wellington, filled with a post-Wilco Show Glow . . . forgive me if I go on a little.

This was my 13th Wilco concert and the best. Was at the Melbourne and Sydney shows and loved our night at the Opera House ( I found out it was lit up blue for Autism which I appreciated having a beautiful 11 year old son, Sean, who was diagnosed with Autism ) but last night was something else, it really was.

I'm visiting my friend, but she's not into rock shows, so I was without my husband last night. I met a very nice couple from the States and we managed to get down to the very front, and got very excited.

I still can't quite believe we got Mavis as an opener! I'm counting my lucky stars. She was glorious and lovely and warm, and as much as I love Wilco I wouldn't have been disappointed if she had sang all night ( well, i'd have been a wee bit disappointed!) She sang You Are Not Alone with Jeff and it was beautiful and something I'd only dreamed and hoped to see live. What a gorgeous song. I had to pinch myself.

As for the main show, well it was brilliant. It was so much fun, I had a ball. The NZ crowd were amazing and also warm and full of song. Oh God, I hope it's not 3 years until they come back. Perhaps, I'll be lucky enough to see them when I travel home to North England in September, I like dreaming. Paul, Brianne, Heather, Russell and Miss Donna Kidsmoke I hope I get the chance to travel with you soon.

Sometimes I feel a little bereft after Wilco leave town but will try and come down gently and listen to the gorgeous new Low record and keep my spirits high with the Clash.   I'm so In Love with Wilco x

Thanks for the report Rockpools - sounds awesome.  Here's the setlist from the Wilco FB page.  What a great list!.  Heard other reports that this was the best show so far of the Aus/NZ tour.  I was at the Sydney Opera House first show and loved it - but the atmosphere at all-seated venues is never quite the same (I didn't know the Opera House was lit up blue as part of an Austism awareness campaign either - but appreciate it as i also have an autistic boy).

Town Hall / Wellington, NZ / 05 Apr 2013 setlist:

Misunderstood
Art of Almost
I Might
Via Chicago
Spiders (kidsmoke)
Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Radio Cure
Capitol City
Handshake Drugs
War on War
Sunken Treasure
Whole Love
Box Full of Letters
Jesus, etc.
Always In Love
Dawned On Me
Heavy Metal Drummer
Shot in the Arm
Passenger Side
Walken
I'm the Man Who Loves You
Hummingbird
Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Without doubt the best show of this tour so far. The crowd had an amazing energy - what a difference a standing GA audience makes compared to a fully seated theatre! 

Mavis Staples was simply awesome, and Jeff came out and played You Are Not Alone with her and her band, and seemed extremely humbled to be doing so. 

Wilco's set was amazing. High energy crowd, and Jeff commented it was the best crowd of the tour so far, and I had to agree with him. He was quite chatty throughout - no curfew here! Despite that, Red Eye / I Got You was on the setlist for the 2nd encore, but was not played.

The whole band was on my flight to Auckland today, and I got to chat to Jeff for a while, as well as get my tour poster signed. Such a humble nice man, as is the whole band! 

Can't wait for tonight's show - Jeff confirmed Neil and Tim Finn will be there, as well as Bonnie Raitt. Here's hoping for an all star jam!

Great, that you got to meet them and get your poster signed. I'm jealous. Any word on when the next tour might be? Also, I think one of the things that makes a difference is whether there is a standing section or not. The band seem to prefer it so I don't know why they play so many venues here that are totally seated. Anyway, here's hoping that tonight is a fitting end to the tour.

Great that you got to meet them and get your poster signed. I'm jealous. Any word on when the next tour might be? Also, I think one of the things that makes a difference is whether there is a standing section or not. The band seem to prefer it so I don't know why they play so many venues here that are totally seated. Anyway, here's hoping that tonight is a fitting end to the tour.

I know that Wilco like standing venues ... so do I, but it's been a long time since I was able to stand through a show. I missed them on their first tour of Australia because I couldn't stand. 2007 was seated. 2008 I pulled out all stops to get a seat in a GA standing venue. The staff at the Palace (formerly the Metro) were just fantastic. 2010 I just couldn't do it (standing again at a GREAT venue) so I missed out. I still have the tickets (unused) as a souvenir. I only made it to both Melbourne shows at Hamer Hall because of lovely people who wanted me to be there. SO ... that was it for me. Love 'em! Lucky people who might have to wait another 3 years. At least you'll be there! Thank you Wilco is all I can say. Hope the techies get the lack of sync on the Opera House show fixed. I would be more pissed off if it had been a Melbourne show ... !

What a great concert this was.

I went for the GA option after seeing them seated a couple of times already, and I'm glad I did.

It sounded better, and I felt far more engaged - I was part of it - not just watching it.  The energy of songs like "Shot in the Arm", and the shared experience of singing along with Jeff just intensified the experience.  Shouting the "says I haven't gone too far" line in Via Chicago was downright cathartic.

Other contributing factors were the venue itself, which is a perfect size (not too big, not too small) and Jeff and the band seemed genuinely happy and relaxed.  Perhaps ready to let rip after the constraints of the Sydney Opera House?  Who knows.  

I actually met Glenn earlier in the day, and had a wee chat.  He seemed relaxed and happy to be here.  Couldn't blame him - it was a beautiful day.

All this wouldn't have mattered if not for that setlist!  It was great to hear some Whole Love stuff live, but it was the songs from the back-catalogue that really made my night.  So much from Summerteeth, Being There and even two from AM.  It was great to finally hear the acoustic version of Spiders.  Radio Cure was also a highlight.

Mavis was great.  Great band.  Fantastic guitarist.  Jeff joining her for "You're not alone" was pretty special.

Here's a really mediocre photo:

8626219602_9b8675d2a7.jpg

My first Wilco concert at the Wellington Opera House a few years ago now will always hold a special place in my heart, but this one will be equally hard to forget.   

And the Dominion Post review of the show:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/culture/performance/8523949/Wilco-sizzle-dazzle-through-great-set

An interesting prediction from the author, that perhaps the band are on a bit of a victory lap - that perhaps the end is nigh.  There could be some weight to that - where do they go now?  How do you top that?

That theory is contradictory to other wilco intel, such as the plan to record a new album this year.  Personally, I think the Wilco machine will keep rolling.  An equally strong argument would be, why stop?  People keep turning up to shows, the band clearly enjoy what they are doing and pulling the wilco brand apart to start something new would surely set everyone back (financially, at least). 

But I guess there could be smaller changes soon.  Mikael's move to California might signal that his time in the band might be coming to an end.  Or not.

Knowing the Dompost I'm pretty confident that any prediction isn't based on any particular knowledge. Having said that, I'm always surprised that the band never seem to take much of a break - they may not come here often, but they tour Europe and the US every year. If they felt the need, hopefully they'd just take a year off to do their own things.

Here goes . . .  I'm here, in Wellington, filled with a post-Wilco Show Glow . . . forgive me if I go on a little.

This was my 13th Wilco concert and the best. Was at the Melbourne and Sydney shows and loved our night at the Opera House ( I found out it was lit up blue for Autism which I appreciated having a beautiful 11 year old son, Sean, who was diagnosed with Autism ) but last night was something else, it really was.

I'm visiting my friend, but she's not into rock shows, so I was without my husband last night. I met a very nice couple from the States and we managed to get down to the very front, and got very excited.

I still can't quite believe we got Mavis as an opener! I'm counting my lucky stars. She was glorious and lovely and warm, and as much as I love Wilco I wouldn't have been disappointed if she had sang all night ( well, i'd have been a wee bit disappointed!) She sang You Are Not Alone with Jeff and it was beautiful and something I'd only dreamed and hoped to see live. What a gorgeous song. I had to pinch myself.

As for the main show, well it was brilliant. It was so much fun, I had a ball. The NZ crowd were amazing and also warm and full of song. Oh God, I hope it's not 3 years until they come back. Perhaps, I'll be lucky enough to see them when I travel home to North England in September, I like dreaming. Paul, Brianne, Heather, Russell and Miss Donna Kidsmoke I hope I get the chance to travel with you soon.

Sometimes I feel a little bereft after Wilco leave town but will try and come down gently and listen to the gorgeous new Low record and keep my spirits high with the Clash.   I'm so In Love with Wilco x

Wonderful review. i honestly read it with a big smile the whole way through. Fiona, one of my dreams is to travel to Australia and New Zealand some time. If Wilco turns out to be the catalyst, well, wouldn't that be perfect! I would love an excuse to meet you in person. Next Wilco tour through Australia? :)

Mavis is so fabulous. I'm really glad you got her for the opener!

Wonderful review. i honestly read it with a big smile the whole way through. Fiona, one of my dreams is to travel to Australia and New Zealand some time. If Wilco turns out to be the catalyst, well, wouldn't that be perfect! I would love an excuse to meet you in person. Next Wilco tour through Australia? :)

Mavis is so fabulous. I'm really glad you got her for the opener!

Donna! I would love to see you over here. I'll hold you to that promise and hope the next Wilco Australia/New Zealand shows aren't too far away. Can't wait to see you. XOXO

Awhhhh! I can't wait to do this again with everyone too! So glad you got to see them on your turf this time! It's been fun to read all the accounts and see everyone's excitement for these shows. Looking forward to the next time we all can get together again, whether it be here, there, or somewhere else...