Loosely inspired by nalafej  thread about a free Nels Cline concert - a thread for members of Wilco concert performances. Nels and Glenn play out quite a bit, as well as the rest, perhaps having their show dates in one thread would be a benefit - who knows.

First up, the below. Happen to come across this by accident. A very welcomed new Chicago venue, Constellation, is opening this month. The wife and I had plans to see Son Volt on the 7th - I think Glen may win over the wife, though - (No offense Jay).

http://www.constellation-chicago.com/event/253339-parker-longberg-holm-chicago/

11-atlg.png

Parker / Longberg-Holm / Kotche / Reed Fri, June 7, 2013 Doors: 8:30 pm / Show: 9:30 pm $10.00 - $12.00

Might as well post the shows already mentioned in nalafej's thread:

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Jeff Parker-Nels Cline Quartet : The Turning Point 6:30 pm

Made in Chicago: World Class Jazz series

Millennium Park, Jay Pritzker Pavilion - Chicago

Wednesday, Aug. 28, 6:30 p.m.
eighth blackbird with Glenn Kotche and Lesley Flanigan

Millennium Park, Jay Pritzker Pavilion - Chicago

Obviously this thread is not meant to be a Chicago only thread, but a who and where are they playing thread. 

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jeff is playing a Get Out the Vote rally in Dekalb Wednesday at the Egyptian. With Lauren Underwood.

Autumn Defense, Glenn, Nels (duo w/ bassist Chris Lightcap) and Yuka C. Honda - Ardmore Music Hall (Philadelphia suburb) - Thursday 12/8

Jeff Tweedy (+ Spencer & Sammy) at Letters to Santa 12/19-20: https://www.24hourmarathon.org/

I plan to make the Roscoe Mitchell show in a couple weeks at this new club.  I had not seen the Kotche, etc. date until you just posted it, but I will definitely get some tix for that. This is a great new addition to the venues for experimental type music.  I have not yet been but will report back when I do. The old venue when it was a theater got mixed reviews. 

Glenn had not been playing out much in the past couple years. It is good to see him back out in public doing this kind of show.  Maybe he has more time now that the kids are a bit older and maybe because Wilco's schedule is less intense. 

Places and gigs like this make Chicago a great place for folks to check other times than regular Wilco or Jeff shows.

LouieB

Considering there are shows there already I guess things are pretty far along, but won't know for a couple weeks when I get in there.  This space has just gobs of potential. 

LouieB

Not sure where to post this so I'll throw it in here. Right now on NPR's Fresh Air they are broadcasting an interview with Jherek Bischoff, who I haven't heard of but who has apparently collaborated with Nels. Terry Gross mentioned Nels in the intro.

Considering there are shows there already I guess things are pretty far along, but won't know for a couple weeks when I get in there.  This space has just gobs of potential. 

LouieB

it consists of a few different spaces within the building.  links hall is also moving to the space as well.  i think there are a total of three stages/spaces.  i could be wrong though.  you going to van dyke parks lou?

Not sure I am going to the Roscoe Mitchell show for starters and see how it goes. Looks like Vandyke is the night before and that is also Record Story Day weekend, so I doubt it.

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

A couple more updates:

From Nels' Twitter: April 22nd Brooklyn @ Shape Shifter Lab http://www.shapeshif...-22-nels-cline/

June 7 Parker / Longberg-Holm / Kotche / Reed Chicago Constellation Doors: 8:30 pm / Show: 9:30 pm $10.00 - $12.00

On June 10  Nels Cline will perform with BB&C (drummer Jim Black and saxophonist Tim Berne)  at Shapeshifter Lab in Brooklyn, sharing a bill with the excellent experimental duo Good for Cows (former Singers bassist Devin Hoff and drummer Ches Smith). ( from Three dollars and 63 cents)

On June 11,Nels Cline will join Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, and Shahzad Ismaily for two sets (6:30 and 10:00) at le poisson rouge in the West Village, NY, NY. ( from Three dollars and 63 cents)

August 8 Jeff Parker-Nels Cline Quartet : The Turning Point Chicago Millenium Park 6:30 pm

August 28 eighth blackbird with Glenn Kotche and Lesley Flanigan Chicago Millennium Park 6:30 pm

• 3 months later...

Made it to the Cline/Parker show tonight - nice evening. Went with the family so I wasn't listening too, too closely, but it sounded good.

Also not at all familiar with Paul Bley and John Gilmore’s album The Turning Point, so I have no reference point on how performance compared to the record (this is probably the best review ever written :lol )

At one point Nels did play a nice looking Rickenbacker and while playing one of his Jazzmasters he broke a string, which he replaced while Frank took a drum solo.

• 3 weeks later...

Nels will be giving the keynote address at Music University, presented by the Des Moines Music Coalition, on October 19 at Drake University's Harmon Fine Arts Center. Tickets for the whole day of events are only $20 (less if you're a musician or a student), which is a real bargain.

He'll be playing in New York with Jenny Scheinman's Mischief and Mayhem September 16 in New York, then will be hitting the road for a string of shows on the west coast with Ben Goldberg's Unfold Ordinary Mind. Here's the full list of those shows, from his website:

September 19: Kuumbwa, Santa Cruz, CA

September 20: Duende, Oakland, CA
September 21: Antiquite Maison Privee, Sacramento, CA 
September 22: 142 Throckmorton Theatre, Mill Valley, CA
September 23: Mississippi Studios, Portland, OR
September 24 & 25: Dazzle, Denver, CO

• 2 weeks later...

Nels will be giving the keynote address at Music University, presented by the Des Moines Music Coalition, on October 19 at Drake University's Harmon Fine Arts Center. Tickets for the whole day of events are only $20 (less if you're a musician or a student), which is a real bargain.

I got an email invite to volunteer for this which I am going to do and get in for free!  Woot!

• 1 month later...

Updated list of upcoming shows (proof that the next Wilco album will never come out):

Nov 19: On Fillmore (OF) w/ Radiolab Keller Auditorium Portland, OR

Nov 21: OF w/ Radiolab Paramount Theater Seattle, WA

Nov 22: OF w/ Radiolab Paramount Theater Seattle, WA

Nov 22: Autumn Defense (AD) Rolling Stone Weekender Luebeck, Germany

Nov 24: AD The Lexington London

Nov 25: Nels Cline (NC) performs w/ Jim Campilongo, Chris Morrissey & Josh Dion Rockwood Music Hall New York, NY

Nov 27: NC playing in The Complete Last Waltz performance The Capitol Theater Port Chester, NY

Dec 3: Jeff Tweedy (JT) Uptown Kansas City, MO

Dec 5: JT Paramount Denver, CO

Dec 6: JT Kingsbury Hall Salt Lake City, UT

Dec 8: JT Moore Seattle, WA

Dec 10: JT Robert and Margrit Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts Davis, CA 

Dec 11: JT Fillmore San Francisco, CA

Dec 12: JT Fillmore San Francisco, CA

Dec 13: JT Granada Santa Barbara, CA

Dec 14: John Stirrat plays at Kathyfest Lincoln Hall Chicago, IL

Dec 15: JT Largo Los Angeles, CA

Dec 16: JT Largo Los Angeles, CA

Dec 18: JT Largo Los Angeles, CA

Dec 19: JT Largo Los Angeles, CA

Jan 8: NC w/ Julian Lage (Duo) Rockwood Music Hall New York, NY

Jan 14: AD Tokyo

Jan 15: AD Nagoya

Jan 16: AD Osaka

Jan 18: NC playing with Fred Fith at Alternative Guitar Summit taking place at Sub:Culture NYC

Jan 19: NC playing with Julian Lage at Alternative Guitar Summit taking place at Sub:Culture NYC

Jan 23: AD Rich Haines Galleries Park City, UT

Jan 24: AD Rich Haines Galleries Park City, UT

Jan 28: AD Tractor Tavern Seattle, WA

Jan 29: AD Mississippi Studios Portland, OR

Jan 30: AD WOW Hall Eugene, OR

Feb 1: AD Bootleg Theater Los Angeles, CA

Feb 7: AD Narrows Center for the Arts Fall River, MA

Feb 8: AD Dogfish Brewpub Rehoboth Beach, DE

Feb 11: AD Highline Ballroom New York, NY

Feb 12: AD Great Scott Allston, MA

Feb 13: AD Rams Head Live Annapolis, MD

Feb 14: AD Boot and Saddle Philadelphia, PA

Feb 15: AD The Hamilton Washington, DC

Feb 22: GK Carnegie Hall New York, NY

• 3 weeks later...

Stirratt will be part of the below. (At Lincoln Hall in Chicago)

Link for the cause/fest

http://kathyfest.com/

Sat. Dec 14 2013
  • KathyFest presents:
A Very Special Kids Concert Celebrating the Music of Woody Guthrie featuring...
Justin Roberts & the Not Ready For Naptime Players
with special guests...
Nora O'Connor
Bucky Halker
John Stirratt of Wilco / Autumn Defense
Little Miss Ann
$15.00
Saturday, December 14 2013
11:00 AM | All Ages

You dragging your kids to this? Should be fun. I hear Justin Roberts is really good (and has Gerald Dowd as his drummer.)

LouieB

Yep.

We seen Justin Roberts about 5 or so times over the last 3 years - always a fun show. Look forward to the rest of the line up, too.

All for a good cause, to boot.

Now that my kids are grown I don't do kids shows anymore. Would like to see him sometime though.

Bucky Halker is a bit of a blowhard Guthrie cover guy. Nora is always great. Its funny that John is listed as a member of Autumn Defense rather than the much more famous Wilco though.

LouieB

You dragging your kids to this? Should be fun. I hear Justin Roberts is really good (and has Gerald Dowd as his drummer.)

LouieB

I saw him a few years back. He does put on a good show!

Updated list of upcoming shows (proof that the next Wilco album will never come out):

Yikes. Yeah, how would they get everyone in the same place to work on a new album? Unless the bulk of the recording is already done.