Been listening to the new Dawes album - Stories Don't End today.  I'm really liking it on my first few listens.  I'm much more warm on this one from the start than I was on their last album (which I eventually came around on).  This one is pretty strong in my opinion though.  Good lyrics - not as much of the hokey-ness in the writing going on this time around.  It's a lot of the things I like from their other 2 albums blended together.  There's definitely more jazz happening on this record - the last release felt very Neil Young/Jackson Brown and this release feels a lot more like The Band (and Jackson Browne, of course...)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

No thoughts yet.  I listened to the stream but it was more in the background than in the foreground of my thought.  But I've gotta pick up this week: they're my wife's favorite band.  We've worn out their last 2 records.   

The Goldsmith Brothers have a great band.

These guys are young and they progress nicely with every release.

These guys are almost a part of the Wilco family...Pat

played on their first record.

def prefer this one to 'Nothing Is Wrong', which I too came around on in time.

as much as I do enjoy their records, their live show is like 80% of the draw for me.

production on the new one is a lot more in my wheelhouse too

My brother just got into Dawes and I told him that their studio material is good but seeing them live is really a treat.   They're a real tight, enjoyable live band.

Yes indeed!  Seeing them open for Mumford & Sons, then getting to watch Mumford & Sons was quite a treat.  Marcus Mumford came out and sang with them on 'When My Time Comes'.  They're touring with Dylan now.  

I saw them last week at Jay Peak in VT.  It was the 2nd time I've seen them, and they were really great.  The venue was a little weird though. It was in a ballroom that made it feel like a class reunion.  And not even close to sold out, maybe 200 people.

My brother just got into Dawes and I told him that their studio material is good but seeing them live is really a treat.   They're a real tight, enjoyable live band.

This is totally a true statement.  Saw them at the Music Box Theatre here in LA on thier last tour and it was a really great show.  The have a killer energy in the live shows. 

Just waiting for them to announce a date in LA on this tour..........

def prefer this one to 'Nothing Is Wrong', which I too came around on in time.

as much as I do enjoy their records, their live show is like 80% of the draw for me.

production on the new one is a lot more in my wheelhouse too

I was the other way... initially lukewarm towards North Hills, but immediately smitten with Nothing Is Wrong.  The second album never really left my rotation; it's still in my car right now.  Everything said here about the live show is spot-on.  I was lucky enough to see Dawes on a co-headliner tour with Blitzen Trapper.  Great night with two of my favorite bands.

I was the other way... initially lukewarm towards North Hills, but immediately smitten with Nothing Is Wrong.  The second album never really left my rotation; it's still in my car right now.  Everything said here about the live show is spot-on.  I was lucky enough to see Dawes on a co-headliner tour with Blitzen Trapper.  Great night with two of my favorite bands.

That was the tour I saw them on too!  I wasn't as hot on Blitzen Trapper but Dawes was why I went to the show in the first place.

I still prefer North Hills of all of them. Maybe because I started there? But like everyone has mentioned, the records do grow on you with repeated listens, certainly the 2nd one eventually grew on me quite a bit. Only about half way though the new one and it's not wowing me yet. But you can tell these are songs that will translate very well live. Saw them last year and seeing them in June!

I'm listening to it now. Sounds real good. 

I saw them at Bullmoose music a couple weeks ago for an instore performance. Probably the best sounding quiet show I've ever seen. Really tight group. 

I was hoping to catch them with Dylan last night when they were in town but didnt have the $52 to spare. 

That was the tour I saw them on too!  I wasn't as hot on Blitzen Trapper but Dawes was why I went to the show in the first place.

If I remember correctly, the two bands switched off the support/headliner roles from night to night.  Since Dawes was my main draw, too, I was disappointed to discover that, on my particular night, they opened and Blitzen had the true headliner set.  Still, I like Blitzen plenty so it was only a mild disappointment.

I wish Dawes' story would end...

Kidding!  Someone had to say it...

But really, not a big fan.  They just seem kind of bland to me.  But I'm willing to give their new one a try.  They definitely have great vocal harmonies, which I always dig.  

I saw them open for and then play back up band with M. Ward.  

As much as I like M. Ward, Dawes was more enjoyable to me that night.

Damn. That sounds fantastic...all but the part where Dawes were more enjoyable.

I've been a Dawes fan since catching them at the Ann Aarbor Folk Fest a couple years back.  They're show was jawdropping to me.  The best way I can describe that experience and their music is that (without knowing a lick of their music) I immediately felt this sense that I'd heard their stuff before.  Not in a bland/generic way, but in a 'where the *hell* has this music been for all of my life?' way.  I got into Nothing Is Wrong first and moved to the more acoustic-based North Hills after that.

The above background aside, this record hasn't clicked for me just quite yet.  It's hard to put a finger on, but a lot of these tracks seem like filler.  This is disappointing mostly because it took two years to write and produce.  There are some quality and creative tracks here, though.  Just Beneath the Surface, Just My Luck, From a Window Seat and From The Right Angle are great.  The biggest con, though, lies in the cover of Hey Lover.  Dawes put a video of an acoustic version they did in a living room recently (

--about the 3:20 mark).  Slower and acoustic-driven is absolutely the way the final product should have been driven.  The album track is far too like the original for my taste.

I'm sure I'll come to like Stories Don't End as I get deeper into the actual stories and lyrics.  But right now it hasn't even touched Nothing is Wrong.

As a side, since Blitzen Trapper was mentioned in this thread, I thought I'd link a YouTube clip of my band doing "Love the Way You Walk Away'.  Hopefully you won't point out that our version is similar to the original  :) 

I'm not arguing the recording process.  I'm just suggesting a few of the tunes seem to be out of step with their progression as songwriters.

Don't get me wrong-I like the band and I like the album.  It's quite possible that I just set my hopes too high on this release.

ah. i like the production way way more than on 'Nothing Is Wrong', that one felt a bit too adult contemp/easy listening at times. not to say this is a "rock" album, but it certainly has more edge to it.

I think this album is a lyrical masterpiece. I fell in love with it after about the third spin. Im a huge Dawes fan. I've seen them numerous times,once at the begining for free and once for $9 so we go way back. I believe im on record somewhere in the VC annals saying North Hills is one of the best debut albums of all time but I thought Nothing Is Wrong was a step back. I love what the guys did here.