Wilco — 12 April 2013, Tokyo, Japan (Zepp Diver City)

Well, it appears that whoever manages the Wilco Facebook account jumped the gun a bit on posting the setlist for tonight's show since they listed Kicking Television as being the last song of the show. It was on the printed list ("KTV") but wasn't played. And California Stars — which wasn't on the printed list — was added at the start of the encore. Just to set the record straight. ;)

Anyway, it's late and my computer battery is dying so I won't write as much as I did after the show in Osaka. But it was another fun gig before another adoring crowd. Jeff even said at one point, after Impossible Germany, that the audience was "spoiling us" and, jokingly, that it needed "to take it down a notch. I was just playing some chords and I feel like you were cheering every nuance." So it was the typically respectful Japanese crowd, but respectful didn't mean they didn't know how to have fun. It's just nice to see people — and I can obviously only speak to those around me — who were quiet at the appropriate times and loud and singalong-y at the appropriate times. It was just a fun audience of which to be a part.

(There was a slightly annoying woman with an Australian — I think — accent near us who kept yelling out for Country Disappeared even after it was apparent that it wasn't in the cards on this night. At one point, Jeff rhetorically asked the crowd, "Can we take you with us everywhere? Let's tour the world." At which point, the woman unfortunately yelled out one last time for Country Disappeared. Without missing a beat, Jeff looked over in her direction and deadpanned, "Well, some of you. We have selective criteria." :lol )

As far as the set goes, we got a few more of the "moodier" numbers tonight early on which made for a little bit of odd pacing. But I think you can do that with an audience that's willing to listen, and ultimately the mood turned more and more buoyant as the show went on. So it was nice to hear Less Than You Think>Art Of Almost, which is a pretty cool way to start a show, especially getting a good view on Glenn drilling (or whatever) a piece of metal during the abbreviated drone. And of course Sunken Treasure (with Jeff on acoustic and sans harmonica) and Radio Cure are always a treat. As is Sky Blue Sky.

I was about to say that the band as a whole seemed a tad more focused to me than Osaka, especially in the first half of the show, but then I remembered two funny "miscues" that happened later on. One was when Mike accidentally hit the opening sample to A Shot in the Arm a song early and scrambled to shut it off. Then in the encore, Glenn prematurely launched into the drum intro to Monday. With other bands, moments like those might cause some awkwardness but with Wilco, it was simply another example of how delightfully goofy they can be sometimes.

OK, I think that's about all I can muster right now. About the only unfortunate thing was that the show was a tad short by Wilco standards — "just" an hour and 48 minutes by my count. It seemed like the band had to be done by 9 p.m. for whatever reason, and they were right on it (shows here are generally pretty early; for example, I think doors for tomorrow's show, on a Saturday no less, are at 5 p.m.).

All in all, though, an enjoyable evening at Zepp Diver City. And as an added bonus, immediately upon exiting the venue, you basically found yourself in a giant food court...which of course had a sign that read "Tokyo Gourmet Stadium." :thumbup

This was the complete setlist, as played:

Less Than You Think>
Art Of Almost
I Might
One Wing
Sunken Treasure (Jeff on acoustic, no harmonica)
Spiders (Kidsmoke) (acoustic arrangement)
Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Radio Cure
Sky Blue Sky
Say You Miss Me
I Must Be High
Whole Love
Theologians (with riff ending)
Heavy Metal Drummer
Dawned On Me
A Shot in the Arm
Hummingbird
----------------------------
California Stars
The Late Greats
I'm The Man Who Loves You
Monday>
Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Paul, you are a treasure to have on this board. I almost feel like the show didn't happen if you weren't there to give us the rundown. Seriously--when I saw the setlist on Wilco's FB page I thought, "Where's Paul's take on this?"  :ermm You've spoiled us--don't be tardy in your recaps in the future, young man!

Seriously. . . thanks very much. :thumbup

How big were the Japan venues...I would also like to hear details on merch and food?  Were people eating octopus during Monday while drinkning a Kirin Lager? While I went to Japan I was amazed at what food constituted snacks out there. Sounds like a fun trip!

Update: It looks like the Wilco Facebook setlist was modified since my initial post to cut Kicking TV but now currently doesn't list Outtasite, which closed the show.

As far as food, there isn't a whole lot (or any) eating done at the show that I've seen. In Osaka, almost no one even dropped a cup on the floor. The Japanese are nothing if not neat and orderly for the most part. They do charge you a 500 yen ($5) supplement as you go in and you get a drink ticket or token for one drink, alcoholic or otherwise.

Merchwise, there were a couple different T-shirts (including one that possibly is unique to this tour) for about $35, a terry cloth scarf for about $15, a tote bag and a poster. There's also a separate table run by Tower Records selling CDs and DVDs.

I'm bad at estimating the size of venues, but I think the Hatch in Osaka was around 1,500 and the Zepp Diver City was probably 2,000-2,500. They were both GA standing on the floor and had reserved seating balconies.

Update: It looks like the Wilco Facebook setlist was modified since my initial post to cut Kicking TV but now currently doesn't list Outtasite, which closed the show.

As far as food, there isn't a whole lot (or any) eating done at the show that I've seen. In Osaka, almost no one even dropped a cup on the floor. The Japanese are nothing if not neat and orderly for the most part. They do charge you a 500 yen ($5) supplement as you go in and you get a drink ticket or token for one drink, alcoholic or otherwise.

Merchwise, there were a couple different T-shirts (including one that possibly is unique to this tour) for about $35, a terry cloth scarf for about $15, a tote bag and a poster. There's also a separate table run by Tower Records selling CDs and DVDs.

I'm bad at estimating the size of venues, but I think the Hatch in Osaka was around 1,500 and the Zepp Diver City was probably 2,000-2,500. They were both GA standing on the floor and had reserved seating balconies.

Ahh sounds like a different type of concert expierence! One day I will see a concert in Japan! :guitar

Oh the deep joy of Google Translate: Rickets!

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://ro69.jp/live/detail/80938&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwilco%2Btweedy%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DX%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D768%26bih%3D928%26tbs%3Dqdr:h

It was a sight to see live. Full of the joy of music more than anything, he was the best overnight power, and performance of music and the best of the best. Although it has been facing a note in the live of ourselves, because little does not have to be filled out only like "guitar!" Or "ー! Wow" or "! Rickets" or "our best", in the brain I'd like to look back while digging a lingering hot.

But the configuration of the show was roughly first, lined music offensive to let a strange deployments experimental, so to speak, a few songs of the first half was a section of the "avant-garde Wilco" from "Less Than You Think". From "The Whole Love", the latest version, such as "I Might" will begin to build a compact progressive ensemble and "Art Of Almost" go Kurihiroge, from post-rock avant-garde blues de especially towards the ending number is nice, Wilco it's contents at once let go the first part of the changing evolution of music.

Avant-garde of Wilco's great, in terms rather than those into the sake that it is avant-garde, is a cooking interesting further sound album originally inflated verbosity, the roots of the music precisely because classical unshakably, live their arrangement comes alive in bold. It's a performance that proves again also plays the flexible tip of alternative rock, while heavy take the high road of American rock, the two dimensions in such a band called Wilco. Guitar spree changing Nerusu Klein was amazing especially the wonder "Impossible Germany" was Zo~tsu story of the song itself.

Lined with folky songs like country, so to speak, since the middle of the "Radio Cure" began, it's a section of "Beautiful Wilco" and brought back to the acoustic guitar again. Number lined tranquility go in depth of the roots of the music of Wilco Yuruginaki classic, I would instinctively go listen enraptured. In the first half, but the ensemble that had been scattered sparks six members so that each test the competence of each other, here are six performances will converge towards one point of the song of Jeff. Universal hardness pace, it really amazing band. Unseen sound of the pedal steel is going to wrap the song in "Sky Blue Sky". Jeff began to say! "Do the old songs" is "I Must Be High" and "Say You Miss Me",. It was a moment in our numbers reminiscent of an era that has been called "Alternative Country" Wilco, was close to the origin of Wilco to just over one hour classic of classics, the show has begun.

Because they would play unceremoniously too, but they enjoy as a matter of course unintentionally Again, if you listen objectively Jeff Tweedy width of the songs written by the wide and terrifying, It's deep, complex it. Rather than just a group of talented players, this band without leaving tell all of his music is like that, there is also a collection of an expression that is comparable to Jeff. That instead of the limbs and songwriter barrel brain of one, six is ​​an "creating" the music in both six, they share the idea of ​​one, the dreadfulness of the band that it Wilco and live their I will be reminded when it really such. I feel attractive music Wilco even better live than the album, better live as a matching of geniuses that Wilco than the album as doings of genius it is that Jeff Tweedy is, Will this Maybe because I can feel more strongly miracle.

It was also the highest audience filled the venue. I thought this is it unique ...... Naa Wilco live, the timing when the roar of the audience raised frame timing occurs, it will cheer the point that was far from the preestablished harmony so-called friendly live rock. Continuous awareness of precisely because people's listening and Adorivu casual between songs, the beauty of the overlap of the sound that is the sobering, the one sound one sound has been heard in Maenomeri home and will go along with the ups and downs rich show. I was surprised while repeating, "Thank you very much indeed" Even Jeff, "only the best. Audience of today would want to turn around and we live together and".

Since the second half of the last, "Theologians" will continue to be battered Without any generous pounding masterpiece of "melodic-Wilco" so to speak and to issue. Go bouncing the enclosing edge of the first half, the beauty of the middle, so I'm also circle them, and come up here anymore, "happiness", exhausted to the word. It is a moment that I'm glad I like Wilco, it was good music they like, clenching of the eyes or a hundred times. Jeff was determined to place the guitar perfectly Nerusu was strumming a 12-string double-neck guitar "Dawned On Me", also call-and-response with the audience and "A Shot In The Arm",, sing sonorously with microphone stand It is exactly the classic anthem studded finale of "Hummingbird" was.

Oh god, tears are streaming down my face! I can mostly get what what's being conveyed in chunks of this review--I do believe I've figured out that Nerusu Klein is quite the guitarist!--but some of it is hilariously inscrutable. But golly gee, I think they liked it!

It would be cool if someone on here who is actually bilingual could provide a more accurate translation of what I think was a really well written review, but if not I'll just keep smiling at the thought of "digging a lingering hot" in this "barrel brain of one."

Paul must obviously mistaken. If it's on Facebook, then it happened. Fact.

I second Wilco Me's comment. A Wilco show without a review by Paul just seems a little wrong. Perhaps he could moan about the set length a bit more vehemently and maybe we'll get more free roadcase downloads. 

I was in the 2nd row! It was a wonderful live show. I request "Say You Miss Me". And they played it.I was so impressed. I cried... It was a beautiful.

Before the show, I saw John and took a picture together. He was so gentle man. I felt in love him! 

How big were the Japan venues...I would also like to hear details on merch and food?  Were people eating octopus during Monday while drinkning a Kirin Lager? While I went to Japan I was amazed at what food constituted snacks out there. Sounds like a fun trip!

Thank you Mr. Cheeztastic for a great review. I was in the second row. As I'm a Japanese and not native English speaker, I felt like I am at the show again as I read your review. It's great to know what exactly Jeff had said. 

other popular photos and reviews in Japanese, you can find bellow:

http://www.smashingmag.com/jp/archives/39427

http://www.smashingmag.com/jp/archives/39455

http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smashingmag.com%2Fjp%2Farchives%2F39455

The Capacities of the vunues are Namba Hatch, Osaka (1st floor standing 1500, 2nd floor seating 153), Zepp DiverCity Tokyo (1st floor standing 2107, 2nd floor seating 152 to 214, (maximum standing 2473)), Shibuya-AX, Tokyo (1st floor standing 1503, 2nc floor seating 197 (including backward standing) 

http://yaplog.jp/nanbahatch/archive/2 http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zepp http://www.shibuya-ax.com/pro/

merch

8642018221_58375a0948.jpg

Unfortunately, Zepp DiverCity does not serve food, but the Food Court next to the venue open until 23:00.  

http://www.divercity-tokyo.com/shopguide/f_court.html

We do not always eat octopus during Monday while drinking a Kirin Lagar, but you can eat octopus dampling at the Food Court

there.

cf. Octopus damplings

Wilco's shows in Japan were so faburous and moreish that one Japanese even made homemade bento containing food decorated to look like this.

https://twitter.com/rudderless_/status/324459203915821056/photo/1

Bellow songs were aired in tape before the show starts, and I wonder who had chosen these songs.  I'd be grad if someone have some information about that.

Drums Of Africa by King Tubby & Prince Jammy, Rave by Head High, Foreground by Grizzly Bear, Lean On Me by Bill Withers, Jimmy Jazz by The Clash, Lead Balloon by Liam Finn, Sorrow Tears & Blood by Fela Kuti, Honky Tonkin' by Hank Williams, Sugar Mountain by Neil Young & Crazy Horse, A message From The Meters by The Meters, and etc.