Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket summer tour

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to hear Wilco and Thompson play Sloth or Calvary Cross! Nels and RT soloing away, too much!!!

I wished for it, but had NO HOPE that it would actually happen, I am STUNNED!

There should be a tour poster for each show, but I don't believe there is anything separate for Wilco only.

Get 'em at the show if you want one. The Atlanta ones sold out before the night was even over. I kind of regret not buying one before Wilco's set, as I couldn't even find one by the time Dylan came on.

There should be a tour poster for each show, but I don't believe there is anything separate for Wilco only.

Get 'em at the show if you want one. The Atlanta ones sold out before the night was even over. I kind of regret not buying one before Wilco's set, as I couldn't even find one by the time Dylan came on.

Good to know. I'll snag one early even if it does mean holding the damned thing all night.

Very excited for the MA show. After watching from the back at Solid Sound due to having the kids with us, we're looking forward to getting up close. Speaking of that, does it seem like a lot of people are opting for Bob's "Hot Ticket" thing that allows early entry to the pit? I'm trying to decide how early we should get there & if it's worth the wait.

Excellent! I usually buy my poster before I get to my seat.  Thanks for the heads up.

Good to know. I'll snag one early even if it does mean holding the damned thing all night.

Very excited for the MA show. After watching from the back at Solid Sound due to having the kids with us, we're looking forward to getting up close. Speaking of that, does it seem like a lot of people are opting for Bob's "Hot Ticket" thing that allows early entry to the pit? I'm trying to decide how early we should get there & if it's worth the wait.

We got in line at 11:00am and were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in line. There were about 20 people who had early entry (though, because of my disability they let us in with the folks that paid all that money.

Everyone that showed up before at least 2 ended up on the rail or 2nd row.

That was my experience in Nashville.

We got in line at 11:00am and were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in line. There were about 20 people who had early entry (though, because of my disability they let us in with the folks that paid all that money.

Everyone that showed up before at least 2 ended up on the rail or 2nd row.

That was my experience in Nashville.

Thanks! I'm hoping to make it by around 2pm. All depends on whether my wife can get the previous night off from work.

Anyone Going to the Peoria show? Kinda bummed they changed venues from the ballpark to the civic center arena. Wanted to see the show outside. I bought the VIP hot ticket package or whatever. Probably a waste but early entry sounded good, I get tired of waiting in line for hours. I hope the instructions for early entry are the same at the civic center. Said to go to box office and look for check in sign. I guess I will find out.

Hope Dylan is good, never been a huge fan and have seen some pretty bad Dylan shows. I've never seen MMJ. Hope it's a good show!

Steve

Just musing on what kind of collaboration there might be with Wilco when Ryan Bingham joins the tour. Also, it looks like Wilco has repurposed some of the covers from the first night of Solid Sound for this tour. I wonder what other ones they might bust out and which ones would be a natural fit for Ryan Bingham. Any thoughts from anyone who knows his music more than I do?

Just musing on what kind of collaboration there might be with Wilco when Ryan Bingham joins the tour. Also, it looks like Wilco has repurposed some of the covers from the first night of Solid Sound for this tour. I wonder what other ones they might bust out and which ones would be a natural fit for Ryan Bingham. Any thoughts from anyone who knows his music more than I do?

I was wondering this myself. I am not familiar with Ryan's work, but I gather it is country-ish, no? Maybe alt.country flavored covers/collabs. Perhaps Dead Flowers, James Alley Blues, The Weight, ...

I promise I'm not trying to start a 12 page holy war VC thread but I have to say I thought Dylan sounded really bad in Cincinnati Saturday. The rest of the show was outstanding. Richard Thompson seems to be an excellent fit, MMJ sounded as tight and energetic as always and Wilco the same but Dylan was really disappointing(for me). Of course his band is tight and sounds amazing as I'm sure he pretty much and deservingly so has his pick of musicians but as far as Bob went if you didn't already recognize the song and know the lyrics you literally had no idea what he was saying. Not in an Eddie Vedder doing Yellowledbetter type of way where you don't know what he's saying but it still sounds amazing. Of course it is an honor and a privilege to see a living legend but if your going I wouldn't expect to be pleasantly surprised by Dylan's clarity. Seeing Jacket and Wilco on stage together covering George Harrison was for me well worth the price of admission.

I promise I'm not trying to start a 12 page holy war VC thread but I have to say I thought Dylan sounded really bad in Cincinnati Saturday. The rest of the show was outstanding. Richard Thompson seems to be an excellent fit, MMJ sounded as tight and energetic as always and Wilco the same but Dylan was really disappointing(for me). Of course his band is tight and sounds amazing as I'm sure he pretty much and deservingly so has his pick of musicians but as far as Bob went if you didn't already recognize the song and know the lyrics you literally had no idea what he was saying. Not in an Eddie Vedder doing Yellowledbetter type of way where you don't know what he's saying but it still sounds amazing. Of course it is an honor and a privilege to see a living legend but if your going I wouldn't expect to be pleasantly surprised by Dylan's clarity. Seeing Jacket and Wilco on stage together covering George Harrison was for me well worth the price of admission.

It took me a few verses to realize he was singing Tangled Up In Blue and Hard Rain at the Cincy show. I felt like he did Duquense Whistle very well though. 

For people that have gone to previous shows:

The start time is listed as 5:30 PM on the Toyota Park for this Friday, about what time do you think MMJ will go on?  I have a friend that needs to know what time to leave work that is okay with missing Richard Thompson.

For people that have gone to previous shows:

The start time is listed as 5:30 PM on the Toyota Park for this Friday, about what time do you think MMJ will go on?  I have a friend that needs to know what time to leave work that is okay with missing Richard Thompson.

Richard Thompson will only play for about a half hour. I'd suggest getting to the gate no later than 6:00 in case there is a line of people coming in ahead of you. Figure 6:30 or so for MMJ to hit the stage.

Richard Thompson will only play for about a half hour. I'd suggest getting to the gate no later than 6:00 in case there is a line of people coming in ahead of you. Figure 6:30 or so for MMJ to hit the stage.

Thanks!  I plan on getting there in time, just wanted to let him know.

It's a really cool thing that in early April, about 2 weeks before this thread was created, I took up Louie B's on his offer of 10% off for VC'rs at his CHIRP record swap.

I bought some fantastic records. Including:

Bob Dylan Biograph ... 5-RECORD-DELUXE-EDITION

Bob Dylan Highway 61... early pressing , very clean

In light of the  AmericanaRosannadanna tour it's neat that my hands brought some great picks to my eyes.

Rounding out the picks: (at great prices )

Neville Brothers   Brother's Keeper

Frank Zappa    One Size fits All

Aretha's Gold

I'm looking forward to hearing great music in Chicago , Clarkston and Saratoga Springs.

Here's to somebody losing $5 when JT joins BD  !

Any odds on Bob Weir hittin' the stage at Shoreline ???

Anyone Going to the Peoria show? Kinda bummed they changed venues from the ballpark to the civic center arena. Wanted to see the show outside. I bought the VIP hot ticket package or whatever. Probably a waste but early entry sounded good, I get tired of waiting in line for hours. I hope the instructions for early entry are the same at the civic center. Said to go to box office and look for check in sign. I guess I will find out. Hope Dylan is good, never been a huge fan and have seen some pretty bad Dylan shows. I've never seen MMJ. Hope it's a good show! Steve

Hey Steve, Sounds like we are seeing eye to eye on this show. However, I am estatic the show has been moved inside. I've heard the sound for a ot of the shows have been muddy and not very loud. I think the sound will be better inside...no humidity and won't have to worry about the chance of rain that is in the forcast....it is pouring buckets right now (Champaign) anyway. Don't think I got the early entry, however, I look forward to getting a good seat. My number is 217 390 1415 if you want to keep me updated on things. :)  I too am not a Dylan fan but it will be nice to say I saw him. I've etried to get into My Morning Jacket but only a handful realy hit me...Amazed and Golden. Should be a fun night nontheless. Enjoy

Hey Steve, Sounds like we are seeing eye to eye on this show. However, I am estatic the show has been moved inside. I've heard the sound for a ot of the shows have been muddy and not very loud. I think the sound will be better inside...no humidity and won't have to worry about the chance of rain that is in the forcast....it is pouring buckets right now (Champaign) anyway. Don't think I got the early entry, however, I look forward to getting a good seat. My number is 217 390 1415 if you want to keep me updated on things. :)  I too am not a Dylan fan but it will be nice to say I saw him. I've etried to get into My Morning Jacket but only a handful realy hit me...Amazed and Golden. Should be a fun night nontheless. Enjoy

Good to know about the sound, I've just been partial to an outdoor venue on occasion. I think Dylan can benefit from the improved acoustics!  I've seen him a few times, probably more than I remember!  Some absolutely terrible, some not so bad.  

It's sunny here, I'm in the Quad Cities area.  Looked like the humidity is going away tomorrow, here at least. Haven't had a chance to check the Peoria forecast yet.  I think the "VIP" (A.K.A. I wasted a bunch of cash) checkin opens at 3:45 and I assume that will be entry time.  I will probably get there earlier but trying to avoid waiting in line too long.  It's always a good time in line at Wilco shows, but this may be a bit different. Plus I'm getting old and lazy!  Anyway, looking forward to it, maybe I'll see you there.

Steve

neither has Tweedy!

I didn't suspect they would, I understand Dylan keeps to himself to put it kindly.  Too bad, it would be cool to see them play together, I'm sure jeff would dig it!