Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket summer tour

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A crazy thought just came to me, based on some of the special guests and covers on this tour. Pharrell Williams lives in Virgnia Beach. Wilco covered Get Lucky at Solid Sound. Discuss.

On Wednesday, July 24th, Wilco covers Get Lucky again, with special guest Pharrell Williams. Mayhem ensues. Emboldened by the crowd reaction, the band release it as a single, thereby scoring their first Top Ten hit. Thousands of dance music fans flock to subsequent Wilco stadium shows, but are shocked and dismayed by songs like Handshake Drugs and Impossible Germany. Soon, the band is back to its hardcore base, playing 2,500-seaters and never sullying our ears with another disco-like production again.

Like that?

That made me laugh.

Yesterday, my wife and I were in line at Evos (a 'healthy' fast food place) and I was wearing the Wilco cosmonaut shirt. The manager said, "Cool shirt". I thanked him. He asked me if I had heard about the concert Wilco had recently played. I assumed that he meant the Tampa Americanrama show from 27 June but before I could reply, he said, "Yeah, Wilco headlined for Paul Simon, one of the guys from the Grateful Dead and another old classic rock guy but I forget who it was. Can you believe Wilco was the headliner? You'd think it would be Paul Simon. They're really big". We just smiled and said, "Wow! That's cool. Wish we'd have known about it". WTF?

That made me laugh.

Yesterday, my wife and I were in line at Evos (a 'healthy' fast food place) and I was wearing the Wilco cosmonaut shirt. The manager said, "Cool shirt". I thanked him. He asked me if I had heard about the concert Wilco had recently played. I assumed that he meant the Tampa Americanrama show from 27 June but before I could reply, he said, "Yeah, Wilco headlined for Paul Simon, one of the guys from the Grateful Dead and another old classic rock guy but I forget who it was. Can you believe Wilco was the headliner? You'd think it would be Paul Simon. They're really big". We just smiled and said, "Wow! That's cool. Wish we'd have known about it". WTF?

That manager's been smokin' some of the herbs used at that 'healthy' fast food place.

How have ticket sales been to the previous shows?  I just looked up VA Beach and when you check for available tickets there's like 80% still available.  I'm going to feel really bad for them if that doesn't improve considerably.  It seriously looks empty right now.  Is everybody just going for lawn seats?

http://concerts.livenation.com/event/01004A91D78FE992

How have ticket sales been to the previous shows?  I just looked up VA Beach and when you check for available tickets there's like 80% still available.  I'm going to feel really bad for them if that doesn't improve considerably.  It seriously looks empty right now.  Is everybody just going for lawn seats?

http://concerts.livenation.com/event/01004A91D78FE992

Wow. That is shockingly bad. Hope it doesn't get cancelled late in the game.

The shows I attended were not sold out, but got good attendance. Tampa was quite full, and although Atlanta wasn't full, I don't think there were empty seats except in the 200s.

If I were you, I'd get a spot in the pit. Having a general admission feel for these shows beats every other option, unless you simply cannot stand. I may be pushing 50, but my 5+ hours on the rail were very well spent. Also, when you're right up front like that, you don't really care how many people are there/not there. It's a great rock show.

Wow. That is shockingly bad. Hope it doesn't get cancelled late in the game.

The shows I attended were not sold out, but got good attendance. Tampa was quite full, and although Atlanta wasn't full, I don't think there were empty seats except in the 200s.

If I were you, I'd get a spot in the pit. Having a general admission feel for these shows beats every other option, unless you simply cannot stand. I may be pushing 50, but my 5+ hours on the rail were very well spent. Also, when you're right up front like that, you don't really care how many people are there/not there. It's a great rock show.

Well, I got my tickets during the presale in section 102 which I thought were great.  Of course if I knew I could get pit tickets the day before I might have changed my strategy.  Oh well, I know it will be a great show regardless.  Maybe they'll let people come in from the lawn to fill up the seats if it stays that bad until showtime.

Well, I got my tickets during the presale in section 102 which I thought were great.  Of course if I knew I could get pit tickets the day before I might have changed my strategy.  Oh well, I know it will be a great show regardless.  Maybe they'll let people come in from the lawn to fill up the seats if it stays that bad until showtime.

Section 102 should be great. At least your legs won't be aching like mine were! :lol

JAK2112 is right, the sales have been really uneven. Different markets, different results, I guess. I was glad to see Tampa - a "tertiary" market, by some accounts - make such a good showing, with about 8,000 people, from what I read.

the seating numbers are unavilable for the camden show at this point but the XPN festival are selling cheap lawn seats for this show and three day passes to the festival plus americanarama festival so I think sunday will be a bigger crowd than most night on this tour.

That made me laugh.

"Yeah, Wilco headlined for Paul Simon, one of the guys from the Grateful Dead and another old classic rock guy but I forget who it was. Can you believe Wilco was the headliner? You'd think it would be Paul Simon. They're really big". We just smiled and said, "Wow! That's cool. Wish we'd have known about it". WTF?

Wow!  Paul Simon, they're one of my favorite indie rock groups, but I think they're songs sound a little like the first Vampire Weekend album.

There were screens at Merriweather. I have no idea if Bob allows venues to film him (I'm guessing the mirrors he has on stage could screw up video), but they were in use when I was walking around at the end of MMJ's set. It actually looked and sounded pretty good out there, except for all the sun.

I can't get over how much better the Merriweather show was than the one in Bridgeport. I skipped Ryan Bingham both nights, but all three of the acts I saw were so much better on Tuesday. I don't know if it was the day off the day before or what, but I enjoyed the performances so much more. Based on Friday, I didn't think I'd want to even stay for much of Bob, but we didn't leave until he started All Along the Watchtower. I hope they're all as good on Sunday.

For anybody who's been following along, Charlie Sexton was playing guitar last night at Jones Beach (and I believe the show before as well).  I talked briefly with Tony Garnier, Dylan's bass player, before Wilco's set and I asked him who was going to be on guitar tonight.  He told me he didn't know, he was looking for someone and asked if I knew anybody. :guitar  Then he told me it was Charlie, but he thought Colin would be back tomorrow. 

There's some amusement going on over on Twitter about Josh, the snake-hipped shirtless guitar tech. Margaret Cho posted a particularly fetching picture of him onstage and said "I love him! So handsome." Then John Stirratt retweeted it, and the game was on. Pretty funny stuff!