Fleetwood Mac-Mick Fleetwood does not play alone

Calling BS on this. Show me the proof. Keef and woody plus the have keys and horns. Never heard of another guitar. Who is it?

As I wrote Blondie Chaplin plays off stage (at times) - also it has been mentioned that Pierre De Beauport (Keith's guitar tech) plays at times --- I have never "seen" that - I know Pierre is credited on some studio records as "guitar player".  And like Jules - I spotted Blondie behind the piano riser at the United Center.

Also good point, Bosco, regarding Bralove - I thought of him earlier. I always thought Healy just like f'ing with Weir vocals and that's it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read there was a time when Judas Priest did the same thing.

What time period was that?

I don't really know what Neil Peart does, but their concerts are among the most visually oriented shows you could ever see.   Synching up all their videos, lasers, etc., without some control over the tempo of the music would be almost impossible.

True, but after reading that Tool doesn't use click tracks, I think about anybody could get by without them.

Stones have been doing this for years. Probably decades. They don't even hide it that much. I have no issue with it. It's a performance. A show. These older bands aren't what they used to be. Deal with it or don't go.

Completely separate issue.

You are right Jules.  Ian Stewart, the Stones original keyboard player, was kicked out of the band n 1963 for not having the right look.  But he continued to play keyboards with the band both on record and off-stage during concerts right up until he died in 1985.   According to Wiki he played piano on numbers of his choosing throughout tours in 1969, 1975–76, 1978 and 1981–82.

I think Stewart was always "on-stage" when he played - tucked in the piano section, but clearly visible --- He may have not have been introduced all the time, but I think that his own doings - he did not want to be introduced.

Hold on there, The Dead had a whole segment in later years that fell between Drums and Space, Mickey would be done with his little thing and there would be a few minutes where it was essentially Bob Bralove (midi engineer, back stage) and Dan Healy and later John Cutler (FOH) generating all the sounds you heard until Jerry came out.  With Crazy Horse there are times when Larry Cragg (Neil's guitar tech) is on the side of the stage playing around on piano or something.

Point being, it happens, it's just the way it is.

You're quite right regarding the GD. Definitely in the last 3 years or so of the band's existence. But, as WRP said, Bralove was running effects for that minute or two until Space began. Believe me, I didn't dig that shit at all, but it was brief, and when the band was playing actual tunes there wasn't anyone 'behind the curtain' covering up flubs or filling in the sound so it would sound 'like the record'. Hell, why would The dead want their live stuff to sound like the record? Those things SUCK, by and large.  :lol

Hell, why would The dead want their live stuff to sound like the record? Those things SUCK, by and large.  :lol

YMMV, of course, but those later Dead shows where Jerry could neither sing nor play were pretty unlistenable. They might have benefitted from a little assistance on- or offstage. 

Hold on there, The Dead had a whole segment in later years that fell between Drums and Space, Mickey would be done with his little thing and there would be a few minutes where it was essentially Bob Bralove (midi engineer, back stage) and Dan Healy and later John Cutler (FOH) generating all the sounds you heard until Jerry came out.  With Crazy Horse there are times when Larry Cragg (Neil's guitar tech) is on the side of the stage playing around on piano or something.

Point being, it happens, it's just the way it is.

If nobody in the band is on stage, you're not really being tricked into thinking the band are playing the music (or making the sounds, in this case).   That's quite different than having hidden musicians playing along while the band is performing on stage.

On the Devils and Dust tour, Springsteen had a keyboard player supplement some songs from off-stage.

But it wasn't a secret

But it wasn't a secret

I don't remember that it was openly acknowledged either though. I was at 3 shows and I don't think the keyboard player was mentioned at any of them. I recall that he was brought on stage for the last show. But I agree that it was pretty openly known.

Springsteen also uses a Teleprompter. Fuck him

It's not so much the teleprompter...it's the fake intense face he pulls while reading the lyrics

Dude's got a lot of songs.

Hell yeah. Teleprompters don't bother me at all. Of course, Garcia used one for about 2+ years and still blew lyrics left and right, bless him.

Springsteen also uses a Teleprompter. Fuck him

That does actually bother me. He's mastered it for sure, but I do think reading lyrics instead of "knowing them" totally changes the way you sing them.

I didn't see Springsteen using teleprompters when I saw him last October. Dude rarely stands in one place. How's he pulling that off?

Saw Dylan tonight. He had a book atop his keyboard that he kept flipping through before each song. I'm assuming it was sheet music because he didn't utilize the book when he wasn't playing keyboard.

I didn't see Springsteen using teleprompters when I saw him last October. Dude rarely stands in one place. How's he pulling that off?

It's sunken in the stage, directly in front of his "main" mic stand. He doesn't actually depend on it that much, and obviously can't see it when he's on the move, but it's always there.

That does actually bother me. He's mastered it for sure, but I do think reading lyrics instead of "knowing them" totally changes the way you sing them.

Are you being sarcastic?  If not this is getting a little ridiculous.  All singers forget lyrics sometimes.  Jeff Tweedy does it all the time.  

Lip-syncing, stealth musicians off stage, are one thing, but there's nothing wrong with having words to reference every once in a while during a lyrical brain fart.. 

It's sunken in the stage, directly in front of his "main" mic stand. He doesn't actually depend on it that much, and obviously can't see it when he's on the move, but it's always there.

I'll bet it says "YOU ARE IN ____________ (insert city)"