Bob Dylan ~ May 2, 2013 ~ Raleigh, NC ~ Red Hat Amphitheater

I'm not really good at writing reviews, but someone asked.

Dawes were great, real tight. Two songs into Dylan's set they came and took seats in the second row to enjoy Bob. Eventually they ended up against the rail in front of the stage, but I don't understand why they did so much talking. You'd think they know better.

When I saw Dylan two years ago his band was spread out, played like awesome hired guns, and Bob's voice was incomprehensible (although I did enjoy the show because I'm a fan). Last night they played more like an organic band. They were basically in a circle (taking on the formation that bands sometime use when being videoed or televised, though they weren't) with Bob either up front singing and blowing the harp, or he took to the keyboard on the right (where he played most of the show). I don't think he played any guitar. Dylan had subtle interactions with his band and, if you were really paying attention, you'd see some small theatrics from Bob - nothing major, just something like Bob playing with his right hand while his left was turned inside out and placed on his hip while he lifted his left leg a little. Just Bob feeling the groove I guess! It seems to me he's adjusted the music to accommodate his voice. This performance sounded more like his recent records in terms of the low, gravelly voice rather than him still trying to rock out. The best part was that he was totally coherent. I could understand every word he sang. There were a few pops and hiccups here and there, but I'll take that over only being able to understand small portions of the songs. I thought Dylan's performance was fantastic and it makes me feel better about going to see him again this summer when Wilco tours with him.

Setlist:

Things Have Changed

Love Sick

High Water (For Charley Patton)

Soon after Midnight

Early Roman Kings

Tangled Up in Blue

Pay in Blood

Visions of Johanna

Spirit on the Water

Beyond Here Lies Nothin'

Blind Willie McTell

What Good Am I?

Thunder on the Mountain

Scarlet Town

All Along the Watchtower

Encore:

Ballad of a Thin Man

The best part was that he was totally coherent. I could understand every word he sang. 

This reminds me of the old Firesign Theatre parody commercial for Bob Dylan at the Met, where the announcer doing the bit says, "You can't understand a word Bob is singing...and that's when he's at his best!" :lol

Your review gives me less trepidation for seeing the Wilco/MMJ/Dylan tour too. Thanks!

Thanks for the review - a very decent recording of the show popped up. It's up at Dime a Dozen if you are interested.

Even can hear the train whistles and sirens....

Looks like I'm gonna have to get Tempest.  Visons and Willie McTell look like the setlist highlights to me.  I also did Things Have Changed and Lovesick.  Glad to hear about the band and his singing voice, thanks for the report!!

This reminds me of the old Firesign Theatre parody commercial for Bob Dylan at the Met, where the announcer doing the bit says, "You can't understand a word Bob is singing...and that's when he's at his best!" :lol

Your review gives me less trepidation for seeing the Wilco/MMJ/Dylan tour too. Thanks!

You're welcome. A security guard near me chuckled a couple of times when Dylan's voice popped trying to stretch out a lyric. He got a few "Not cool, dude" looks, that's for sure.

Even can hear the train whistles and sirens....

The amphitheater sits across the street from the police station, a block from a fire station, and has an elevated Amtrak line curving across the background. I sure wouldn't go see a quiet performer there.:lol