Hey guys. On my Telecaster, my G string goes out of tune on the 2nd fret only. Tried filing down nut slot, but it did nothing. Changed the string, did nothing. Sounds perfectly fine and in tune while playing a C or G chord because I'm putting no pressure on the G string. Fmaj sounds terrible. What else can be done?

I would completely agree with spending the money and having a good guitar tech look at it.  I just brought in my Tweedy SG because I was unhappy with the intonation and the difficulty in keeping it tuned.  He mentioned that they have like 10 minutes to set up a guitar at the Gibson factory.  Obviously they are not getting out the magnifying glass and really getting the nut right.  My guess is that your problem could be at the nut even though it sounds like you have looked at that.  He mentioned that he filed down my nut quite a bit and was able to lower the bridge as well because of it.  Ever since I got it back it is playing like butter.  Worth every cent.  Hopefully it's something simple.  Good luck!

I just loosened the relief on the truss rod, and we are good to go! Now we face another problem: Since I tried to file down the nut slot, the G string now rings and rattles on the frets while playing. Looks like I'm buying a new nut after all.

As long as you are replacing, might I recommend using Bone? My guitar guy says you can polish bone up until it's basically frictionless.

As long as you are replacing, might I recommend using Bone? My guitar guy says you can polish bone up until it's basically frictionless.

I have a graphite nut in my Strat and talk about frictionless... never have tuning issues.