Jeff Tweedy - Living Room Show 6/8/13

Guest Jules

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules

Hey guys, just messing around about the photos. There are pics, but nothing that really needs to be posted here. It's just a group of people. The point of the thread was to post the set list and share a couple details & thoughts. These events raise over 100K every year which helps a lot of families. And Jeff takes 4 Saturday nights out of his year to do these for 30 whacko Wilco fans. All of this is important to remember.

Are you hitting on me?

Hey guys, just messing around about the photos. There are pics, but nothing that really needs to be posted here. It's just a group of people. The point of the thread was to post the set list and share a couple details & thoughts. These events raise over 100K every year which helps a lot of families. And Jeff takes 4 Saturday nights out of his year to do these for 30 whacko Wilco fans. All of this is important to remember.

Appreciate you posting your show setlist and poster, Kenny!  Both really cool!  But seriously, no one asked for Laminated Cat/Not For The Season?  Shocking!  hahaha. 

I sure did enjoy the photos you all posted on Facebook, with so many smiling faces!!! 

These events raise over 100K every year which helps a lot of families. And Jeff takes 4 Saturday nights out of his year to do these for 30 whacko Wilco fans. All of this is important to remember.

Are the powers that be still adhering to the misguided policy of not allowing recordings of these shows to be shared?

I get it, they can make any rule they want, but if they want to make some real money they should sell copies of these shows.  Failing that, the should allow some of us non-insiders to hear them.

This is not a knock on Wilco albums, but I find myself listening to the couple of Living Room Shows much more Frequently than any album or any live show (Tweedy or Wilco).  There's something special about these shows that you don't get anywhere (both song selection and banter).  I think of them as some of the greatest performances Jeff has done and would love to hear and pay for more.

Maybe I'm alone in the regard, but I doubt it.  I bet there some decent amount of money to be made by selling discs or downloads of these shows.

Are the powers that be still adhering to the misguided policy of not allowing recordings of these shows to be shared?

I get it, they can make any rule they want, but if they want to make some real money they should sell copies of these shows.  Failing that, the should allow some of us non-insiders to hear them.

This is not a knock on Wilco albums, but I find myself listening to the couple of Living Room Shows much more Frequently than any album or any live show (Tweedy or Wilco).  There's something special about these shows that you don't get anywhere (both song selection and banter).  I think of them as some of the greatest performances Jeff has done and would love to hear and pay for more.

Maybe I'm alone in the regard, but I doubt it.  I bet there some decent amount of money to be made by selling discs or downloads of these shows.

It's not a misguided policy.  Jeff enjoys and employs a certain level of banter, interaction and informality because the shows are private.  If he doesn't want that broadcast to the general public, that's his choice.  He's doing this all for charity--why would he seek a personal financial gain out of it?  Seems to me that would be misguided.

It's just a group of people

hurtful

You're alone.

It's easy to get jealous about these events if you did not attend.

It's easy to tease or gloat if you did attend.

I am in the former camp.

I'm inclined to believe that Bart meant that the money could be additional money for the charity.

Everything is up to the Tweedy's of course and everyone is aware fo the real purpose of the events so there's is little point in getting worked up about what is a good thing in a bad, bad world.

Allowing public recording/dissemination of the living room shows would fundamentally alter the interaction between Jeff and the audience, and thus the experience of the group of fans who paid several hundred dollars each to attend the shows.

I'm inclined to believe that Bart meant that the money could be additional money for the charity.

You are correct sir!  I wasn't thinking that Jeff would pad his pockets with this money, I was thinking it's a way to exponentially increase the amount of money the charity received.

The living room shows aren't circulated because Jeff, through his wife Susan, who occasionally posts here, asked us to pull them. The first few years of Living Room Shows were easily available online at one point, but once the Tweedys made their feelings known those links were pulled down from the trackers, Owl and Bear, etc. 

Allowing public recording/dissemination of the living room shows would fundamentally alter the interaction between Jeff and the audience, and thus the experience of the group of fans who paid several hundred dollars each to attend the shows.

I get it, but on the other hand wouldn't it suck if just a few insiders got to look at the Mona Lisa.  Great art should be spread far and wide.

I love the idea of these shows (even if it wasn't for charity).  The idea of a "famous rockstar" doing a tiny show that's one step above sitting on the porch and playing for friends is beyond fantastic.  But the way they are executed smacks of classism or the cool kids vs the dorks or the haves and the have nots.  It seems like the exact opposite of the Wilco ethos.

Being excluded from the president's national security briefing is understandable.  Being excluded from listening to someone I love/respect/admire, not to mention fund by buying cds, dvds, books, shirts, concert tickets, etc. sucks.

The living room shows aren't circulated because Jeff, through his wife Susan, who occasionally posts here, asked us to pull them. The first few years of Living Room Shows were easily available online at one point, but once the Tweedys made their feelings known those links were pulled down from the trackers, Owl and Bear, etc. 

Yeah, I knew that.  I was shocked when I first heard that policy.  In fact, if you search the achives, you'll find me making damn near the same complaint in one of these LRS threads from years ago.

I keep bringing it up in the (irrational) hope that Jeff/Sue/Someone sees it and reconsiders the position, if for no other reason than to sell them and make more money for the charity.

Your attitude is really becoming repellent here Bart. Let it go.

Wow!  You must have a low tollerance, but consider it let go.

I've seen the light and now advocate that Jeff only plays shows for single payers.  Bidding starts at 10 million dollars per seat, but the good news is there's only one seat.  ;-)

I keep bringing it up in the (irrational) hope that Jeff/Sue/Someone sees it and reconsiders the position, if for no other reason than to sell them and make more money for the charity.

No, you keep bringing it up because you refuse to accept the (rational) reasoning for the shows being kept private. Don't pretend you're on some selfless mission to have more charity dollars raised. You said earlier "I get it" but you obviously don't.