Am I the last to know that The Replacements are playing shows?

I'm toying with the idea of going to the Chicago show but I really am not interested in this festival at all otherwise. I'm holding out a bit waiting for an announcement of single day tickets or maybe an extended tour after these 3 shows. 

It was really exciting to see Tommy Stinson play with Wilco at Solid Sound last weekend, so now, I'm really itching to go.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember seeing this posted before, but Tommy Stinson was on Marc Maron's podcast recently. It was a really enjoyable, loose interview that ran for the better part of an hour. It's free via iTunes, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Single day tickets for RiotFest Chicago 2013 are now onsale @ ticketfly.com.

The website was down earlier. I bought tickets over the phone 877-435-9849.

The Replacements headline Sun.15th.

• 3 weeks later...

At Solid Sound this year I met Gorman Bechard, who made the film "Color Me Obsessed" about fans' and critics' remembrances about the Replacements. He's a huge fan himself and posted this on his blog today--thought you all would find it interesting. Sure wish I could make it to one of the shows.

"AUGUST 11, 2013 · 1:54 PM

I’m seeing The Replacements in two weeks…

Let me try to explain what that means to me. It would be like an extremely devout Catholic meeting the Pope. Like a Chicago Cubs fan not only seeing their team make it into the World Series, but sweeping the other team. Like a Jets fan seeing their team go undefeated. Like buying that Powerball ticket and being the lone winner of a few hundred million dollars. It’s a dream. It’s unreal. It could never happen.

But two weeks from now, on a Sunday evening in Toronto, they will take the stage. Will they play a perfect set of their most beloved songs? Will they be in cantankerous moods and play only parts of inconceivable cover songs? Will they rock? Roll? Will they have mellowed with age? Will they tear the non-existent roof off the fucking joint? It doesn’t matter. It’s a Replacements show. We’re not supposed to know what to expect. As long as they show up.

There are of course the naysayers. Those who say, “This isn’t The Replacements, it’s just Paul and Tommy.” To them I say, “shut the fuck up.” Bob is gone. Slim is ill. And Chris just doesn’t want to be a part of it. But still, this is Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson taking the stage and playing the songs that changed our lives, that in many cases defined our lives. If you have issue with it, don’t go. (Though I truly believe the naysayers are only naysayers because they can’t get to one of the three shows. Put a ticket in their hands and they’d be singing a different tune.)

I think about those I know who’ve never seen the band. Those who came late to the show (and coming late is a hell of a lot better than never showing up at all), or those who were too young to see the band during their day. The excitement they must be feeling as they think, I’m seeing The Replacements in two weeks.

I think of all the times one of their songs has figuratively saved by life. The blaring of “Here Comes A Regular,” and it somehow making me feel just a tad better, because I was not that guy in the song. The loud out-of-tune howling of “Unsatisfied,” knowing that I was not alone in the world. I’m seeing The Replacements in two weeks.

I think of the joy songs like “Color Me Impressed” or “Can’t Hardly Wait” or “If Only You Were Lonely” have brought me over the years. Always played a little too loud. Often played on endless repeat. Songs that still make me feel alive to this day. Songs that make me feel young, invincible, loud, brash, horny, crazy. The soundtrack to my personal life. I’m seeing The Replacements in two weeks.

I think of the inspiration the band has given me. Whether writing a book or working on a film, they were always there in the background. The soundtrack to my professional life. Stuck? Put on a Mats tune. Need to wake up? Put on a Mats tune. Done? Put on a Mats tune. They were even characters in my first novel. Not that this band needed to be fictionalized, they were always larger than life. But what other band would God’s daughter claim as her favorite? She is divine. She knows everything. She knows rock & roll. Ilona Ann Coggswater would be so happy for me. I’m seeing The Replacements in two weeks.

I think of the times I’ve seen them live. One of my favorite musical moments, Paul Westerberg coming back alone for the encore at the Beacon Theatre. A balloon in hand. Sucking in the helium. Singing “Hello Dolly” acapella, then leaving the stage, leaving us all wondering “what the fuck?” The audience cleared out, and when the last fan had left the building, the band burst back onto the stage, and ripped into a rollicking encore, leaving all of us to rush back in from the street. If was a moment I’ll never forget. I’m seeing The Replacements in two weeks.

I think of my wife beautiful Kristine, by my side for thirteen of the fifteen times I’ve seen them. Married for twenty years now. Often times people would ask our secret. I would ask Kris, “What’s your favorite band?” She’d answer “The Replacements. What’s yours?” And I’d answer “The Replacements.” And that would be the answer to the question. We’re seeing The Replacements in two weeks.

And of course, I think of being able to direct “Color Me Obsessed, a film about The Replacements.” Meeting and interviewing so many like-minded fans, some famous, many not, people who knew them, worked with them, produced their albums, wrote about them, were influenced by them, spent more time with them than any of their teenaged friends. An honor. I was humbled by the love, the devotion. I never felt more connected to people in my life. I was not alone. And I’m seeing The Replacements in two weeks."

I think of the times I’ve seen them live. One of my favorite musical moments, Paul Westerberg coming back alone for the encore at the Beacon Theatre. A balloon in hand. Sucking in the helium. Singing “Hello Dolly” acapella, then leaving the stage, leaving us all wondering “what the fuck?” The audience cleared out, and when the last fan had left the building, the band burst back onto the stage, and ripped into a rollicking encore, leaving all of us to rush back in from the street. If was a moment I’ll never forget. I’m seeing The Replacements in two weeks.

Classic.

At Solid Sound this year I met Gorman Bechard, who made the film "Color Me Obsessed" about fans' and critics' remembrances about the Replacements. 

I'm curious what he's like in person because I've seen him post on message boards, Facebook, Twitter, etc. and he comes across as a complete nut. 

I'm curious what he's like in person because I've seen him post on message boards, Facebook, Twitter, etc. and he comes across as a complete nut.

To say he's passionate and opinionated would be the biggest understatement ever. I don't know him well but spent about an hour talking with him at breakfast--he and his wife were staying at the same B&B as my good friends, and they became improbably close buddies. He's a big fan of Husker Du and the Replacements, of course, and he's also involved with anti-cruelty for dogs--he's making a film about that now. He's written a few books and made some very odd movies. I found him a fascinating character with a true punk sensibility. He definitely came off as a bit of an egomaniac and a big talker, but he was also very engaging and could really carry on a back and forth conversation. Not for the faint of heart, but I think he has a soft inner core. And he seems completely authentic--he's as rigorous with himself as he is with others.

I love the movie.  Started listening to the commentary, which I rarely do, but thought it would be interesting.  He came off as such an arrogant "If you don't like my movie, you don't really like the Replacements" prick that I turned it off after

Yep, I can definitely see that. I think he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about the fact that the movie contains no music. He claims (vociferously!!) that he never wanted the music in there in the first place--that the whole point of the film was to convey the experience of being a fan of the band--but people always ask him whether he just couldn't get the rights to it. I know firsthand about this, since that was the first thing I asked him and I got quite the bristly reaction! Glad you enjoyed the film, though--I did too. It reminded me a lot of being a Wilco fan.

I love the movie.  Started listening to the commentary, which I rarely do, but thought it would be interesting.  He came off as such an arrogant "If you don't like my movie, you don't really like the Replacements" prick that I turned it off after

I had a similar reaction to him, but via different media.  After watching (and enjoying) the film, I started to follow him on Facebook.  I had to drop out after a couple of weeks -- my arrogant asshole meter was scoring off the charts.  

I'm greedily hoping for a warm-up club show somewhere in Toronto on Saturday night, seems reasonable to think they might want to get their feet wet before headlining a festival on Sunday. Just in case, definitely saying NO to overtime next weekend and keeping my ears open for any announcement towards the end of the week.

Just realized it wasn't posted here, but they announced that Josh Freese and Dave Minehan will be joining as the replacement-Replacements. Both toured with Paul in the 90's for some fantastic shows. I couldn't be happier w/ the lineup -- great players and great chemistry.

Just....wow!

Setlist: The Replacements, Riot Fest, Toronto, ON, Canada

1. “Takin’ a Ride”
2. “I’m in Trouble”
3. “Favorite Thing”
4. “Hanging Downtown”
5. “Color Me Impressed”
6. “Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out”
7. “Kiss Me On the Bus”
8. “Androgynous”
9. “Achin’ to Be”
10. “I Will Dare”
11. “Love You ‘Til Friday” (w/ Chuck Berry’s “Maybellene”)
12. “Merry Go Round”
13. “Wake Up”
14. “Borstal Breakout” (Sham 69 cover)
15. “Little Mascara”
16. “Left of the Dial”
17. “Alex Chilton”
18. “Swingin Party” (“Special request from our friend Slim back home”)
19. “Can’t Hardly Wait”
20. “Bastards of Young”

21. “Everything is Coming Up Roses” (From ‘Songs For Slim’ EP)
22. “IOU”

Just WOW indeed, that was amazing. Thanks for posting the setlist, just to add that Kiss Me On The Bus segued into 3rd Stone From The Sun. There were some Paul lyric blanks on Androgynous, I Will Dare & the best/least bit of Bastards Of Young, but overall they were super tight & couldn't have looked happier to be there. That was incredible. 5 words I never thought I'd say again: I saw the Replacements tonight!!! Fuck yeah.

I can't hardly wait!  I got 26 days to go before riotfest.  Replacements is at the top of the list of bands I wanted to see, never thought it would happen.  That set list looks amazing.