Am I the last to know that The Replacements are playing shows?

That was so much fun. I'm so glad we made the long trek to get there. It was worth it. They sounded great and looked like they were really happy as was the entire crowd.

...and I think I broke my toe...still worth it!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Replacements and Iggy and The Stooges back-to-back. Not a show I'm gonna forget anytime soon.

Did any of you guys catch The Weakerthans set? One of my favorite bands. Great lyrics.

Really wish I could've been at that show...

Yeah, I'm a big Weakerthans fan too. They did a great set and got a great response from the crowd. John K. Samson was standing about 10 feet away from me shortly before The Replacements set. I have a feeling he was pretty excited to see The Replacements too.

There was lots of love for the Mats amongst the musicians there. I spotted J. Mascis bopping his head during The Replacements set, and Lou Barlow said that Iggy and The Replacements were two of their biggest influences during the Dinosaur Jr. set.

And the lucky folks in Chicago will get the Pixies opening for them. Pretty spectacular.

I'm still hoping I can make that show. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I'm a big Weakerthans fan too. They did a great set and got a great response from the crowd. John K. Samson was standing about 10 feet away from me shortly before The Replacements set. I have a feeling he was pretty excited to see The Replacements.

That's cool. I've only seen them once, around 2001. I'd never heard of them. They were opening for another band & totally blew me away. I bought their first 2 albums at the merch stand that night and have loved them ever since. They never seem to tour the US though, unfortunately.

That's cool. I've only seen them once, around 2001. I'd never heard of them. They were opening for another band & totally blew me away. I bought their first 2 albums at the merch stand that night and have loved them ever since. They never seem to tour the US though, unfortunately.

I think that might have been around the time when I first saw them. They were on a bill with Jim Bryson and Ron Hawkins and the Rusty Nails in Toronto playing Lee's Palace or some such place. After the show I ended up buying "Left and Leaving" and my girlfriend bought the Jim Bryson debut CD from the merch stand. Both those records turned out to be two of my favourites of 2001.

I have a feeling there's going to be a tour after these 3 shows. There's so much positive energy happening around the band right now that I think it will happen....and that's not something I ever thought I'd say.

I think that might have been around the time when I first saw them. They were on a bill with Jim Bryson and Ron Hawkins and the Rusty Nails in Toronto playing Lee's Palace or some such place. After the show I ended up buying "Left and Leaving" and my girlfriend bought the Jim Bryson debut CD from the merch stand. Both those records turned out to be two of my favourites of 2001.

They were opening for a band called Elliott when I saw them. Wierd venue - some student union/common area at UConn. Heard about it at the last minute, grabbed a friend & drove up.

I really like The Falcon Lake Incident album the did with Bryson a few years back. John's latest solo album is good too, but I'm eagerly awaiting a new Weakerthans record.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there tonight. Front row. It was such a monumental struggle to keep myself there that i decided not to take any pictures, even thought i had my camera with me. I just decided to do nothing but have fun and live in the moment. I waited longer for that show than any Wilco gig(about 10 hours), and it was totally worth it! They brought the house down! This "Mats reunion, without a doubt, is working. The question now is, do they try to do more with it now or just play the riot fest gigs and call it a day? I'm inclined to think that maybe they should quit while they're ahead. In a lot of ways, the 2 shows they've done so far have actually improved their legacy, rather than subtracted from it, as reunions often tend to do, at least as a live band. These are full of the energy(and the fun) of the early 'Mats, without the drunkenness that often ruined their live shows.

I was there tonight. Front row. It was such a monumental struggle to keep myself there

What a great show!

Sticking to the rail for 10 hours at RiotFest is really impressive, especially on a rainy muddy 3rd day finale.

Wow - the Replacements were great. The sound was perfect, and they rocked and ripped through their setlist. Very big crowd was there to see them too.

But, as good as the Replacements were, the Pixies were the opposite. Criminy Dutch did their sound suck. Not sure if Black Francis' guitar was even plugged in. Sounded like I was listening to it coming out of a crappy speaker stuck at the bottom of someone's backpack. 

The wait for the Replacements was painful - Brand New? Never heard of them. Terrible. AFI? Never heard of them. Terrible.

I did catch about 15 minutes of the Suicidal Tendencies set, long enough to hear them play Institutionalized...

These are full of the energy(and the fun) of the early 'Mats, without the drunkenness that often ruined their live shows.

Save the drunkenness for GBV ;)

I'm going to the Denver show this weekend. It feels petty of me to worry about a little mud when thousands of people are homeless due to the flooding, but it has me a little nervous about camping. Hopefully the area dries out this week.

I didn't realize there were two Replacement threads. I also saw them last night and they were great.  The Pixies were really boring. I did not catch their earlier shows right after they reformed, but I would not go out of my way to see them again.  Meanwhile the Mats kicked ass, although the festival conditions were horrid.

I think there is a good chance that there will be a regular Replacements tour.  They seemed to be very happy to be playing and were very engaged and tight. 

LouieB