Solid Sound Friday Night

Every year I have to read about Solid sound and it fills me with a seething jealousy and rage, I hate this time of year. Actually that's not true, the next best thing to being there is getting to read everybody's report out. I find it tremendously enjoyable.

I would have loved this show for the Pavement and Replacements covers alone. I bet they bust out "and your bird can sing" in the future after spending all the time putting that one together, not an easy song to pull off.

Thanks for all the great details for us slobs who had to miss it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded nyctaper's recording of the show, pushed the files to a jump drive, plugged the drive into my new reciever (it will play FLAC files), sat back with my Chinese Crested to keep me company and a can of Steel Reserve and had a throughly enjoyable time last night.

Thanks nyctaper!

(and of course, thanks, Wilco!)

I downloaded nyctaper's recording of the show, pushed the files to a jump drive, plugged the drive into my new reciever (it will play FLAC files), sat back with my Chinese Crested to keep me company and a can of Steel Reserve and had a throughly enjoyable time last night.

Thanks nyctaper!

(and of course, thanks, Wilco!)

So for tonight, do all the same with the version that is up on bt.etree and give us a report on which you think sounds better :). I would myself, but there's a hockey game to watch. I can't get settled until I decide which source I'm going to keep and share. I think I'll have some fun over the weekend doing this.

Just a big hug to all of you who were there and reported, it was incredible watching the songs roll in via Twitter.

NYCTaper: You're doing the lord's work and because of you I can now enjoy this amazing show.

Pyschotic Reaction was my favorite -so unexpected and so so so good.

You have all made me realize just how much I need to get my s- together and attend the next SSF, whenever that may be.

It's funny -- as much as I respect and generally agree with Wilco's "no video" policy when I'm actually at a show, I really love getting the chance to experience special stuff like this all-covers night on YouTube after the fact.  

I don't know who you are, Geoff Tweaty, but I love ya!

I can't believe I saw Tommy Stinson play with Wilco while they covered "Color Me Impressed." What?  :blink 

Regardless of the varying opinions of the all-cover show, John Hodgeman "hosting," etc., I think it's cool that Wilco continues to try to do something interesting with the festival. When you decide to venture to Mass MoCA, you're choosing to going through a fair amount of trouble to make it happen. It isn't an easy place to get to, and finding lodging has become increasingly difficult. It seems like once you've committed to attending Solid Sound, you've also committed to participating in the band's vision of art and entertainment for the weekend. It doesn't mean you're going to love all of it, but you're along for the ride. It seems like seem people are kind of pissed off about this or that, but that suggests you're a dissatisfied customer. In reality, I think we're all part of the experience. If we don't like it, we can decide to no longer participate. Or we can decide to participate again anyway because being part of the experience is satisfying in all sorts of ways. I don't think anyone actually has a problem with differing opinions, but when the complaints are aired in a way that suggests you've been denied something you deserve or are entitled to, well...it's off-putting.

My view of Friday night? Color me impressed. 

Agreed. The mindset for Solid Sound should be to have no expectations.. Typical Wilco concert conventions are dismissed. They want it to be a unique experience, and we should embrace that too. I hope they experiment with something different every year. 

I shiould add too that there is plenty to do nearby, and people don't have to eat just at Solid Sound nor hang out there all day. I spent a couple mornings in Williamstown, went to both art museums there, and got lunch on the main street, figuring I would avoid the crowds for at least one meal at the Soild Sound food stands. North Adams itself had a good variety of dining options.

I've only been to the first Solid Sound and can't say I remember the first one being less crowded. I thought the size of the audience was fine.

I also feel like a bit of a geek saying I've seen Tommy numerous times already during his tenure as Soul Asylum's bassist. Was nice to see Wilco rocking out on Color Me Impressed on Friday night, another song I've heard so often from recording from the late 1990s where Wilco did a whole encore of cover songs.

I can't believe I saw Tommy Stinson play with Wilco while they covered "Color Me Impressed." What?  :blink 

Regardless of the varying opinions of the all-cover show, John Hodgeman "hosting," etc., I think it's cool that Wilco continues to try to do something interesting with the festival. When you decide to venture to Mass MoCA, you're choosing to going through a fair amount of trouble to make it happen. It isn't an easy place to get to, and finding lodging has become increasingly difficult. It seems like once you've committed to attending Solid Sound, you've also committed to participating in the band's vision of art and entertainment for the weekend. It doesn't mean you're going to love all of it, but you're along for the ride. It seems like seem people are kind of pissed off about this or that, but that suggests you're a dissatisfied customer. In reality, I think we're all part of the experience. If we don't like it, we can decide to no longer participate. Or we can decide to participate again anyway because being part of the experience is satisfying in all sorts of ways. I don't think anyone actually has a problem with differing opinions, but when the complaints are aired in a way that suggests you've been denied something you deserve or are entitled to, well...it's off-putting.

My view of Friday night? Color me impressed. 

Nicely said and I agree 100%... I was looking forward to the set and I loved it more than I thought I would... I can't stop watching the

YouTube clips and my wife thinks I'm crazy... To each their own and c'est la vie... Satisfied and impressed all around

The mindset for Solid Sound should be to have no expectations..

How in the world?  When you've been to two already, even if you know it's going to be different, how is it possible to have no expectations?  It's really hard not to compare the years, although it has been different every year.  My highlights this year were seeing/meeting members of Wilco in the crowd, seeing old Wilco friends and meeting new ones, and of course the music!  Loved the Autumn Defense set, thought Foxygen had the true rock'n'roll spirit, saw Neko Case and YLT for the first time, and all the amazing stuff Wilco had to offer. Plus the added bonus of a motel right next to a shuttle stop -- no driving!  (Thanks, Wilco Me!)

It was definitely more crowded and harder for me to stay in my happy place because negotiating crowds can be stressful.  But I'll do it all again the next time they offer it!  That is, with some expectations being affected by this year's festival.  Everyone that has commented is fully justified in their opinions.  In my humble opinion.  :yes

I just listened to the NYCTaper recording of The Cover Show and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Come on, Marquee Moon and Ripple alone were worth it. I am surprised at how well they played those tunes. I wonder how much they rehearsed.