Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Ripple
California Stars
Via Chicago
The Whole Love
Dawned on Me
I'm the Man Who Loves You

Damn, Wilco knows how to put a setlist together, don't they? Look at the progression of those songs--they just take you on the exact journey they want to. Starting out kind of mellow and pretty, moving into challenging, thrilling stuff, then the one-two showcase punch of Spiders and Impossible Germany, transitioning with Born Alone, then the anthemic songs with Bob Weir, then knocking everybody's socks off with the WTF moments in Via Chicago, and finishing strong with great new songs and ITMWLY. Whew! It's a short setlist but a powerful one. For an audience that may or may not come in as fans, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't be at the very least woken up and more likely awestruck at what they've just heard. I really think they'll be making some new fans as this tour goes along.

I'd love to hear from someone who was there whether Glenn got up on his drum kit for ITMWLY. Since Jeff so pointedly seemed to say they were going to be retiring that particular move, I suspect he didn't.

Anyone wants to be surprised by Dylan's set, best get out of here before someone posts it. Odds are very good it will be the same every night, though it might be different from what he was doing a few weeks ago. I'm going to try to resist the temptation to peek.

Anyone wants to be surprised by Dylan's set, best get out of here before someone posts it. Odds are very good it will be the same every night, though it might be different from what he was doing a few weeks ago. I'm going to try to resist the temptation to peek.

Not me. I want to know if there will be any collaborations with Wilco or MMJ. That's the only thing that'll keep me there for his set in MA next month.

Not me. I want to know if there will be any collaborations with Wilco or MMJ. That's the only thing that'll keep me there for his set in MA next month.

I know everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but really? This is BOB DYLAN we're talking about. Everyone on the bill owes him a debt of gratitude for practically inventing the category. I think all the performers would acknowledge that he's the master. Yes, he's lost his voice, and yes, he doesn't kowtow to audience expectations, but dammit, it's downright gallant how he's out there performing constantly. He's a troubador and a legend and a genius. I can't imagine going to this festival and not bowing down to him.

I know everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but really? This is BOB DYLAN we're talking about. Everyone on the bill owes him a debt of gratitude for practically inventing the category. I think all the performers would acknowledge that he's the master. Yes, he's lost his voice, and yes, he doesn't kowtow to audience expectations, but dammit, it's downright gallant how he's out there performing constantly. He's a troubador and a legend and a genius. I can't imagine going to this festival and not bowing down to him.

Don't misunderstand me - I LOVE Dylan (well, old Dylan) - but I saw him live about 23 years ago and he was bad then. Not just a little bad. Train wreck bad. Since then I've just enjoyed the records and left it at that.

I agree with your thoughts on his influence & legacy, but I have to question the "gallantry" of decades of overcharging people to hear him play unrecognizable renditions of songs I love. Also, if the tweets I'm reading are to be believed, he's not even playing guitar any more. Just standing there.

I'll give him this, though - he picked two formidable openers. I sure as hell wouldn't want to follow Wilco onstage.

I feel the same. 2013 Bob Dylan reminds me more of Victoria's Secret than revolutionary music, and my leaving certainly won't take away from his legacy.

Don't misunderstand me - I LOVE Dylan (well, old Dylan) - but I saw him live about 23 years ago and he was bad then. Not just a little bad. Train wreck bad. Since then I've just enjoyed the records and left it at that.

I agree with your thoughts on his influence & legacy, but I have to question the "gallantry" of decades of overcharging people to hear him play unrecognizable renditions of songs I love. Also, if the tweets I'm reading are to be believed, he's not even playing guitar any more. Just standing there.

I'll give him this, though - he picked two formidable openers. I sure as hell wouldn't want to follow Wilco onstage.

I know what you're saying. I've seen him many times over the years and it's never been what I would call a satisfying show. I know people who claim to have seen great Dylan shows, but they certainly got luckier than me. For that reason, I wouldn't travel far to see him or go to multiple shows on a tour, and I've even passed on seeing him at very convenient venues for reasonable prices. So it's not like I would go to this festival expecting to see a great Dylan set. But I sure wouldn't go to see all the inheritors of his legacy and leave before he took the stage. And I don't think I've ever paid more than $50 for a Dylan show, by the way, which I don't consider gouging.

Also, I'll be very surprised if he doesn't have the other artists out there to join him on some songs as the tour rolls along, if not in the main set then in the encores.

Oh, I'll probably stay for at least a couple songs. I'll be interested in the extent of any guest appearances. Most bands who've toured with Dylan say they never even got to meet him, so inviting any Wilco members to actually play with him would be a big deal.

By the way, I thought you guys were going to have a table at S.S.? I looked but didn't see any signs. I did meet a couple of great VCers, though (looking at JCamp and Heliotropist).

By the way, I thought you guys were going to have a table at S.S.? I looked but didn't see any signs. I did meet a couple of great VCers, though (looking at JCamp and Heliotropist).

We were there! With a big sparkly sign that I made personally. And JCamp came over and talked with us, as did a few others. We got there about 4:15 on Friday and stuck around in the courtyard cafe for at least an hour and a half, maybe a bit longer. We didn't have any good way of putting the sign up in the air so it was just sitting on the table, glittering. Sorry to have missed you!

We were there! With a big sparkly sign that I made personally. And JCamp came over and talked with us, as did a few others. We got there about 4:15 on Friday and stuck around in the courtyard cafe for at least an hour and a half, maybe a bit longer. We didn't have any good way of putting the sign up in the air so it was just sitting on the table, glittering. Sorry to have missed you!

Can't believe I didn't see it. Next time!

I know everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but really? This is BOB DYLAN we're talking about. Everyone on the bill owes him a debt of gratitude for practically inventing the category. I think all the performers would acknowledge that he's the master. Yes, he's lost his voice, and yes, he doesn't kowtow to audience expectations, but dammit, it's downright gallant how he's out there performing constantly. He's a troubador and a legend and a genius. I can't imagine going to this festival and not bowing down to him.

THAT

is what i'm talkin' 'bout.

not much difference:

Things Have Changed
Love Sick
High Water
Soon After Midnight
Early Roman Kings
Tangled Up in Blue
Dusquesne Whistle (First Time Played)
She Belongs To Me
Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat
Simple Twist of Fate
All Along the Watchtower

(encore )
Thunder On The Mountain
Ballad of a Thin Man

From ER forum:

WILCO ‏@Wilco 26s

Right now: Wilco & @BobWeir performing "Ripple" by the #GratefulDead at @AmericanaramA, at Cruzan Amphitheatre in West Palm Beach

f*ck me that is worth the price of admission right there!

BOB WEIR

Easy To Slip
Peggy-O
KC Moan
Loose Lucy
Dear Prudence
Not Fade Away

MY MORNING JACKET
MMJ-setlist-200x200.jpg

Photo via @ElGusFernandez (Twitter)

Circuital
Outta My System
I’m Amazed
Golden
Evelyn
The Way That He Sings
Slow Slow Tune > War Begun Jam
Smokin’ From Shootin’
Wordless Chorus
Victory Dance
Gideon
One Big Holiday

WILCO

At My Window Sad and Lonely
Forget the Flowers
Company in My Back
Poor Places
Art of Almost
I Might
Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Ripple (with Bob Weir)
California Stars (with Bob Weir)
Via Chicago
Whole Love
Dawned on Me
I’m the Man Who Loves You

BOB DYLAN

Things Have Changed
Love Sick
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Soon after Midnight
Early Roman Kings
Tangled Up in Blue
Duquesne Whistle
She Belongs to Me
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
Simple Twist of Fate
All Along the Watchtower

Encore:

Thunder on the Mountain
Ballad of a Thin Man

For me the show was a blast.

Was not all that engaged with Weir.  So early in the day but he sounded pretty good.

MMJ killed it as usual.  Loved the opening Circuital and they are just great.  Most of the crowd was not interested but there were some who were into it. 

I figured it was going to be a great set when they busted out At My Window.  Band seems a little understated which I guess is expected when you "open" for someone else.  I always like the "Being There" encore vs. the YHF but overall I was just happy that they were playing within 60 minutes of my house.  Jeff sounded really great and everyone else was solid.  I was thinking in the back of my mind that maybe we would get Ripple.  Now they have played it live with Weir and Lesh (back in like 97 or 99) I heard a recording.  Sounded awesome and I think the Weir fans deserved it for coming out.  Spoke to a few in parking lot that came to the show specifically for Bobby.

Dylan was OK and his band is great but I just can't love the arrangements that he does now.  Pretty cool when the band is playing and he busts out the harmonica.  His keyboard playing is pretty basic.  Hate the setlist.  So many great and plays 13 songs with like 5 that have no business with the deep catalog he has. 

Overall a really fun night and I bought the Wilco engineer style hat.  No shirts with all acts on together.  Only a poster they have.

Don't want to cause another Taking a viachicago break thread, but what do you dislike about it - I always think it's good that he plays newer stuff, which songs did you think he should have dropped?

Maybe a little strong...I will go with Really disliked.

I can understand not being moved by the music - the arrangements and Dylan's seeming indifference to it all (which I don't think he gets really - he thinks he's putting on a helluva show, I'm sure). So isn't it possible you would've been disappointed in any setlist?