AmericanaramA Concert 1 - West Palm Beach, FL 6/26/13

Dylan's set looks pretty good, to me.

You get (only) three songs from his most recent album, two "big hits" in Tangled Up in Blue and All along the Watchtower, a few well-known songs that even moderate fans should recognize in Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat, Ballad of a Thin Man, Simple Twist of Fate, and She Belongs to Me.  Then you get a couple centerpieces of his latest career incarnation (i.e. the road-warrior troubadour) that he's been playing a lot of over the past 10-15 years in Things Have Changed, High Water, and Love Sick (and I guess Thunder on the Mountain).

Seems pretty well balanced to me. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with both views.

I glance at that set list and think "I would love to cut any of those new songs if I got to hear, say, Visions of Johanna." With that logic, I could easily switch any of the new songs for songs I've loved for years.

But, even when I don't like a new album, it just makes me like/respect him more that he continues to make music and not cash in on the same greatest hits show year after year.

Same logic for Wilco and when they choose to play [new song I dislike] rather than [old song I prefer]. Even though I got really annoyed anytime they played Capitol City over the last year.

I agree with both views.

I glance at that set list and think "I would love to cut any of those new songs if I got to hear, say, Visions of Johanna." With that logic, I could easily switch any of the new songs for songs I've loved for years.

But, even when I don't like a new album, it just makes me like/respect him more that he continues to make music and not cash in on the same greatest hits show year after year.

Same logic for Wilco and when they choose to play [new song I dislike] rather than [old song I prefer]. Even though I got really annoyed anytime they played Capitol City over the last year.

Yeah, and the good thing about Dylan (well, sorta good) is that he will no doubt drop Tangled Up in Blue and play Visions of Johanna in its place some nights, or something like that. Of course, many of us would prefer he drop the newer songs, but ain't gonna happen.

Well, there always seems to be the New Song That You Just Don't Want to Hear (i.e. the Pissbreak Tune).

In the YHF/AGIB tour days, I felt that way about "Jesus, Etc."  Good song, but it was always the one where I found myself looking around at the crowd more than the stage.   Nowadays, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

I get the feeling these AmericanaramA threads will all be discussions of whether or not Bob Dylan is any good!

I've seen Dylan many times over the last 20 years.  He's deliberately dialed down the rock over the last ten years; the late '90s/early '00s shows with Charlie Sexton and Larry Campbell were really barnstorming and probably would have gone over better with the mixed festival crowd.

When I've seen Dylan at outdoor festivals, there tend to be a lot of baby boomer counterculture types who haven't heard a thing he's done since Blonde on Blonde, and are frustrated by the newer songs and different arrangements.  They want him to come out alone with his guitar, like 1964, when he hasn't done that in almost 25 years!  

Whereas for me, an album like Love & Theft is one of the 10 best things he's ever done.  And Tempest is pretty brilliant in its own right.  It's amazing that the guy has been able to produce new material that's this good, this late in his career.  And I don't blame him at all for showcasing the last 15 years of his music.  If you don't have Time Out of Mind, that's your problem, not Dylan's.

So can someone clarify the times that bands came on, and the approximate length that they played for?

From the looks of it, Bob Weir played for about 40 minutes, MMJ played for about 70 minutes, Wilco played for about 75 minutes, and Dylan played for about 80 minutes.

So can someone clarify the times that bands came on, and the approximate length that they played for?

From the looks of it, Bob Weir played for about 40 minutes, MMJ played for about 70 minutes, Wilco played for about 75 minutes, and Dylan played for about 80 minutes.

I think you'll find some details on that earlier in the thread.

What I'm wondering is did Weir sing on Ripple only, or do some backup vocals on Cali Stars?

By the way, on Dylan: I read a while ago that he has some arthritis which has led him to give up the guitar for the most part. Pretty good reason, I'd say.

By way of contrast, I took my daughter to see Taylor Swift a couple of months ago.

Concert was actually quite enertaining in its own way, but it was much more like watching a musical: I can tell you exactly when the red & white confetti is going to be shot out ouf the streamers on every concert of that tour (no spoliers in case anyone else is going:).

On the T.Swift fan board, there's no discussion about which songs she should have played.

Looking forward to guessing which songs Dylan is playing next week. Plus, it's always fun to play "guess the song" with friends: can sometimes take a while to work it out, depending on the arrangement and how his voice is holding up.

Okay, obviously I couldn't resist the temptation to peek, since I'm here talking about it. :lol

Dylan will likely perform Things Have Changed, Love Sick, High Water (For Charley Patton), Soon after Midnight, Early Roman Kings, Duquesne Whistle, Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat, All Along the Watchtower, Thunder on the Mountain and Ballad of a Thin Man every show. The big question is, will he play any of the others? He might drop Tangled and play Visions, or switch out something else for She Belongs to Me, like Summer Days, Scarlet Town, or something else played last month. Beyond that, probably not many surprises.

But you never know. He is known for confounding expectations. The one thing I truly DON'T expect is for any of the other artists to be joining him onstage during his set.

The one thing I truly DON'T expect is for any of the other artists to be joining him onstage during his set.

I've been known to make reckless wagers before so I won't do that here, but I'll definitely bet you $5 that some of the other artists join him as the tour goes along.

I'm sure we'll see each other out there on the road sometime where you (or I) could collect our winnings!

Mr. Heartbreak, Weir sang back up for most of Ripple and then took over for the last or second to last verse.

I took down the setlist but you guys have already posted it, so I'll just give a short review.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see how big the turnout was for this concert, but I suppose there were 3 relatively popular acts (plus Bob Weir, who I think was actually a huge draw for the concert based on how many baby boomers in Dead t-shirts I saw, but many of them seemed to like Wilco too, or MMJ, and obviously Bobby D as well) and I was misinformed by the Miami Beach concert from last year where Wilco had a paltry showing (crowd wise, the band was great) at the Fillmore.

Anyway, MMJ were pretty good but I was too pre-occupied waiting for Wilco to really care. Bob Weir was great too, really liked his set. Wilco's set was very good, Glenn didn't stand on his durms I believe, but they were very tight as always and very good. A bit heavy on songs from TWL but I love that album so it's all good.

I was also surprised when they called Bob Weir up, then very unsurprised when they played Ripple with him. I figured they would play it with or without him since they played it Friday at Solid Sound. Weir stayed on for California Stars, sang back up. The older Deadheads were SO excited when they went into Ripple, so that was nice.

I left about halfway through Dylan's set, I love Dylan, but he's re-arranged most of his older songs anyway and I wanted to get home so I could get to sleep at a reasonable time. Besides, I mostly came for Wilco.

Mr. Heartbreak, Weir sang back up for most of Ripple and then took over for the last or second to last verse.

I was also surprised when they called Bob Weir up, then very unsurprised when they played Ripple with him. I figured they would play it with or without him since they played it Friday at Solid Sound. Weir stayed on for California Stars, sang back up. The older Deadheads were SO excited when they went into Ripple, so that was nice.

That is so cool, I really hope that they repeat that, at least for tonight.

Thanks for the info. I am going to be there in about 4 hours, so I am psyched. Will give you guys some sort of report on here later.

Whereas for me, an album like Love & Theft is one of the 10 best things he's ever done.  And Tempest is pretty brilliant in its own right.  It's amazing that the guy has been able to produce new material that's this good, this late in his career.  And I don't blame him at all for showcasing the last 15 years of his music.  If you don't have Time Out of Mind, that's your problem, not Dylan's.

Amen to this

Damn, Wilco knows how to put a setlist together, don't they? Look at the progression of those songs--they just take you on the exact journey they want to. Starting out kind of mellow and pretty, moving into challenging, thrilling stuff, then the one-two showcase punch of Spiders and Impossible Germany, transitioning with Born Alone, then the anthemic songs with Bob Weir, then knocking everybody's socks off with the WTF moments in Via Chicago, and finishing strong with great new songs and ITMWLY. Whew! It's a short setlist but a powerful one. For an audience that may or may not come in as fans, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't be at the very least woken up and more likely awestruck at what they've just heard. I really think they'll be making some new fans as this tour goes along.

This is a great post. When I read the setlist, I thought "Meh. Only two songs we didn't just hear at Solid Sound." That's because I'm a whiny, entitled, fair-weather Wilco fan. But you, Diane, you have the uncanny ability to see beyond the setlist, to look at the progression of songs and imagine the flow of the show. You also managed to imagine it through the eyes of a someone who's not yet a fan, and picture them being blown away. All this in spite of seeing Wilco and JT like 22 million times. It's so amazing -- can you bottle it and sell me some?  :worship

We were there! With a big sparkly sign that I made personally. And JCamp came over and talked with us, as did a few others. We got there about 4:15 on Friday and stuck around in the courtyard cafe for at least an hour and a half, maybe a bit longer. We didn't have any good way of putting the sign up in the air so it was just sitting on the table, glittering. Sorry to have missed you!

Damn it!!! Bob and Jeff, My two favorite musicians sharing the stage. Ouch, this hurts.

I am not surprised that a piece of this thread has addressed Dylan's set list choices, as he does have so many songs to choose from and he plays only 16 or so in a show (maybe fewer in this festival setting; I did not count the number of songs in the set list from this first night). It looks like a good mix of songs to me, though many in the crowd would probably like fewer new songs and more classics.

My issue with him is not the song choices. What I can't abide anymore is his tattered, shattered voice. His voice was rarely strong to begin with (maybe when he quit cigarettes around the time of Lay, Lady, Lay?), but the past few times I have seen him, it appears to be gone. So add up 2-3 songs that a majority of the audience does not want to hear, a few others with difficult arrangements to get your ears around, Bob's apparent indifference onstage, and his lost voice, and you have many people who I think will walk out of the show thinking MMJ and Wilco are pretty damn good.

And I am in the camp of those who will be pleasantly surprised if Dylan has anyone from MMJ or Wilco come on stage to join in on a song. I just do not see it happening. I think they'll be lucky to meet him/talk to him.

I think someone will be sitting in with Dylan as the tour progresses, of course it may be the last show of the tour. As stated in another thread there is plenty of precedent in recent tours of people who were on the same bill sitting in with Dylan. I am guessing in Chicago, he will play 3 songs with Wilco backing - there I called it!

Not sure if right place to post but here is some shaky video of Wilco and Bob Weir singing Ripple from Palm beach show. I shot it with my GoPro, handheld so it's not the best... but security was nuts.

Awesome video.  I was totally coming to this thread to post it after I had just watched it.  Thanks!